+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conroy on the Growl

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I'm not trying to make excuses or back up anyone but OL run about 3 yards or back up about 3 yards every play. They aren't running around and chasing players 20 yards or more every play from across the field or down the field. On top of that our defense is usually on the field a lot more snaps than our offense. Just some things to think about. I'd like to see our starters or the best players we have on defense get 70-75% of the snaps and the back-ups play less, they aren't as good that's why they don't start but honestly some of our back-ups are just as good as our starters.

You have a very valid point about being an in-shape 20 year old. They should easily be able to play 50-60 snaps and have some left in the tank or not dehydrate they are so tired. And I believe you made that point last night when you said- they obviously are not tired when they run off the field. I say let the starters play the first few series then sub in a guy here and there. It seems like we've held to this theory for a long time now even when Crowton was here I believe-well on DL anyway I remember few guys coming in at a time.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg
    ...our defense is usually on the field a lot more snaps than our offense. Just some things to think about.
    That is why our defense is much more tired than our offense. Our defense is defending twice as many plays as our opponent's D, because our OFFENSE is so ineffective at maintaining drives- turnovers, dropped passes, etc. We are not even running down any clock to get our defense a rest on the sidelines.

* "Another turnover", "Our opponent has the ball on our 3 yard line, DEFENSE get back on the field and stop 'em".
    * "Another incomplete pass on 3rd down & 1", "DEFENSE get back on the field and stop 'em".
    * One Tech fan to another: "Man, those guys just scored again. What is wrong with our DEFENSE today? Somebody stop 'em!"
    ________
    SIDE EFFECTS FROM ZOLOFT
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg
    MAD-
    Why do you think Howard is in charge-b/c he coaches the LBs? I understood his point about players being fresh and I like the ideal of playing more than just the starters for a lot of reasons some JB mentioned. I don't think the reason we stink on D is b/c we are playing a lot of players. I'm not real sure why we are so terrible on D but I don't think this is the main problem we are having.
    I'll take a shot at this [since the Baton Rouge QB Club is NEXT WEEK].

Our "stinking" on defense is not play to play (I submit the goal line effort last week). It is "break down" somehow. It is the failure to recognize developments like the off tackle play, and the Tight End down the middle. Somewhere between the coaches and players, what is being stressed during preparation (practice) is not picking up keys that would help defense such. These guys are learing a "new" philosophy and they are "over correcting". It is like someone with natural instincts concentrating on the "scheme" instead of using their "instinct" on a misdirection play for instance. I hope my "example" is sufficient to make my point.
    We should expect improvement, though, with each obvious struggle through the season.
    Again, this isn't something only the DAWGS have experienced. It happens all the time with coaching changes. The duration of such breakdowns will be a good indication of the ability of the coach to "educate" the players, and, of course, will indicate the player's ability to adjust and learn. Experience enters into the picture there.

[blur:0debc868c1]Boy, he's long winded tonight.[/blur:0debc868c1]

+ Reply to Thread