+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Coach Hearn - pinch yourself, we don't deserve him

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Tech has again been blessed with an excellent coach and an excellent person with our new Tennis coach. I love Tech, and I moved to Ruston from Lafayette ten years ago to be a part of this community and Tech. I did this, knowing that I would be taking a huge pay cut to come here, but nevertheless made the move to enjoy Ruston and to bring up my family here.

However, I am simply amazed that Tech was able to bring into our midst a person of the caliber of Coach Greg Hearn, a person who has had no previous ties to our community. For those of you who don’t know him, Greg is a top notch, Christian man, who is going to make a large impact at our great University, and our community as well. Mark my word, Tech will build a national power in Tennis, and we may soon be talking about that program like we do the women’s basketball program now. A lot of big talk, I know, but when you get the opportunity to talk to Greg (by the way, Greg REALLY likes to talk), you will see that this man has vision, believes in himself, and believes that Tech was the most likely forum for him to accomplish his goals.

The article linked on the page on Coach Hearn is a great article, but it only gives a resume of this man. To understand him, you need to know things like the fact that his model coach is John Wooden, the legendary UCLA basketball coach. Greg has the pyramid memorized, and he cannot have a conversation without quoting Coach Wooden. Its not just memorized, though, it is metabolized.

Those who have come into contact with Coach Hearn love him without exception. I was with my family in Lafayette the week that the decision was made to hire Coach Hearn. There were marquee billboards around the town wishing him well and lamenting his exit. He built from zero the best tennis program in the city, at a facility that was not even close to competing with the big boys with their indoor and clay courts such as Red’s. I was told by the people there, even before I met Greg, that he “touches” everyone he works with, and without exception, you are a better person for knowing him.

Already, his impact has been felt at Tech. With only a few weeks of working with his team, he has taken over a team that has, in the past, had almost non-existent support from the University. The red-headed stepchild, so to speak. When you pass by the tennis courts, he has the girls tied to rubber bands and playing on only half a court. Weird, yes, effective, obviously. He reads extensively in the techniques of training in his sport and motivating his players. He has the team working hard, not because he makes them work hard, but because he truly believes in them, and now they believe in themselves.

Greg wants to work with our community, and I really hope that we accept him with as open arms and with as much enthusiasm as did Lafayette. We have a real jewel here, and he will bring honor to our school.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    he “touches” everyone he works with...

Hmmm. No wonder he wanted to coach womens' tennis. :lol:

Seriously, I wish him the best and look for great things to happen. Looks like we are seeing more dividends of our WAC affiliation. Hopefully, we'll start seeing it in other areas too.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    What happenned to the old tennis coach? Was he the tennis coach at ull previously?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    The "old" tennis coach wasn't old. She was only 24. She went to Dallas to get her post-graduate work. I'm not sure about this, but I think Lacy, the previous coach, only took the Tech job on a tempoary basis. She was our number 1 player one year, and the head coach the next. The coach before Lacy quit abruptly because he wasn't paid much above minimum wage. Lacy did well with what she had, but honestly got almost no support from either the administration or the community. Despite that, I don't think she left for any other reason than she wanted to complete her post-graduate work in Dallas.

Your next question concerns Greg Hearn. He was not a coach at ULL. He did assist, on a voluntary basis, at LSU. The LSU coach always thought he was going to accept a position as a head coach with an SEC team. Greg wanted to build his own team, though, so Tech better fit his plans. He got his wish, because, believe me, he is starting from just a little above nothing in the terms of facilities, which was not Lacy's fault, but some girls with great character, and some pretty good potential, which is to Lacy's credit. The only direction Tech can go in tennis is up.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar
    That's great to hear. I support ALL Tech programs and hope Coach Hearn loves Ruston so much that he will be there a long time.

Big Dog dawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her game dawg78's Avatar
    Soonerdawg, great post! I haven't met Greg yet but I hope to see him at the Fresno St. game. I can certainly testify that the girls are working hard....funny thing is, they don't mind, they really want to produce for Greg. They too fill fortunate to have him. Coach Hearn, his knowledge of the sport and his dedication to the team is all they talk about. There will be some great matches this year because he's got them believing in themselves and they'll leave everything on the court. Louisiana Tech University is a better place because of his presence.
    "GO LADY TECHSTER TENNIS"

Bulldog CENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the ears
    Greg has made a big difference in the short time he has been at Tech. The positive way he coaches is already being felt in the way my daughter plays.

Do you mind telling us which girl is your daughter?

Bulldog CENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the ears
    Lauren

She is a good, hard working girl, and we are fortunate to have her in our program. I'm happy she has the opportunity to work with Coach Hearn. It must be nice not to have to pay by the half-hour to have him coach her.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    Tech has again been blessed with an excellent coach and an excellent person with our new Tennis coach. I love Tech, and I moved to Ruston from Lafayette ten years ago to be a part of this community and Tech. I did this, knowing that I would be taking a huge pay cut to come here, but nevertheless made the move to enjoy Ruston and to bring up my family here.

However, I am simply amazed that Tech was able to bring into our midst a person of the caliber of Coach Greg Hearn, a person who has had no previous ties to our community. For those of you who don’t know him, Greg is a top notch, Christian man, who is going to make a large impact at our great University, and our community as well. Mark my word, Tech will build a national power in Tennis, and we may soon be talking about that program like we do the women’s basketball program now. A lot of big talk, I know, but when you get the opportunity to talk to Greg (by the way, Greg REALLY likes to talk), you will see that this man has vision, believes in himself, and believes that Tech was the most likely forum for him to accomplish his goals.

The article linked on the page on Coach Hearn is a great article, but it only gives a resume of this man. To understand him, you need to know things like the fact that his model coach is John Wooden, the legendary UCLA basketball coach. Greg has the pyramid memorized, and he cannot have a conversation without quoting Coach Wooden. Its not just memorized, though, it is metabolized.

Those who have come into contact with Coach Hearn love him without exception. I was with my family in Lafayette the week that the decision was made to hire Coach Hearn. There were marquee billboards around the town wishing him well and lamenting his exit. He built from zero the best tennis program in the city, at a facility that was not even close to competing with the big boys with their indoor and clay courts such as Red’s. I was told by the people there, even before I met Greg, that he “touches” everyone he works with, and without exception, you are a better person for knowing him.

Already, his impact has been felt at Tech. With only a few weeks of working with his team, he has taken over a team that has, in the past, had almost non-existent support from the University. The red-headed stepchild, so to speak. When you pass by the tennis courts, he has the girls tied to rubber bands and playing on only half a court. Weird, yes, effective, obviously. He reads extensively in the techniques of training in his sport and motivating his players. He has the team working hard, not because he makes them work hard, but because he truly believes in them, and now they believe in themselves.

Greg wants to work with our community, and I really hope that we accept him with as open arms and with as much enthusiasm as did Lafayette. We have a real jewel here, and he will bring honor to our school.
    DMAjors brought the new coach by the tailgate and he introduced him to me...

Seems to be a real good guy...

If you would have just walked across the street and made the tailgate you could have defend yourself when I told him all about the things you have been saying about him :roll:

Dwayne, not to diss your intellect, but it's more fun when I give you a head start. :lol:

Big Dog dawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her gamedawg78 is on top of his/her game dawg78's Avatar
    Hey Soonerdawg if it was a headstart you were wanting to give Dwayne...........well you gave it to him. Once he started spilling the beans there was no stopping If seemed as though you and Dwayne are a lot closer than any of us ever realized :lol: Just kidding, we all had a blast unfortunately we missed you. Greg certainly speaks high concerning your children...hope to see you soon or sooner :?

It appears as though we have a mutal admiration society going. Greg speaks highly of your daughter as well.

As for being present while Dwayne is "spilling beans," no thank you. I'll pass (no pun intended).

As for missing the tailgating. It is my biggest sports weakness. I've never really been a tailgater. I have a house walking distance from the stadium, and I just can't seem to leave early enough to tailgate, no matter how tempting Dwayne's "spilt" beans may be.

I certainly understand, I generally spend my pre-game time at a friends home also very close to the stadium but we did go a little earlier Thursday night just to hang around and see what was going on...I mean with ESPN and all.

+ Reply to Thread