+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's with the governor?

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markay714

Yes, Jesus did say that. And, scripture also clearly talks about saving as well. You've gotta check context on scriptures sometimes.
    What's the context there? I'm not sure. I even read it.

Regardless, what's the deal? If a party supposedly deals under the auspices of having Christian-oriented ideology, can they just pick and choose which parts to follow? And I'm not even talking about second-hand, what Paul wrote and thought about it -- I'm talking about Sermon on the Mount, fundamental teachings from the mouth of Jesus.

I doubt the RNC ever gets together and discusses the Beatitudes. Maybe GeeDubya and Ken Lay did, though.

It's political machinations. Nothing more.

I have no problem if somebody wants to get rich -- I hope to do it myself one day. But the actions at the top of the Republican decision makers are totally paradoxical to their supposed Christian grounding. Maybe that's just me.

And, scripture says in Acts that in the early church they all gave to each other as they had a need. That's WAY different than the government taking it from folks and giving it to other folks without knowing or caring if they're working or not. I absolutely believe in putting others as more important than myself and love to give to help others - I just like to let the Lord lead me as to who/how to help them. If the government takes my resources so that I have to do that with, then I sure do lose the joy of giving and sharing with others who really do have a need.
    Let me throw this one out.

Louisiana Tech is a public school funded by the gov't. What's a quarter of school go for? 'Bout a thousand bucks. That's not even a drop in the bucket; closer to being free than for paying the actual cost of a college education.

1) Why do we fund it?
    2) Do you consider that, in the most literal sense of the word, welfare?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Actaully, if you're a tither, then govt does NOT get the first cut. Because you are NOT taxed for your tithes and offerings -- you get those tax dollars back each year.

I'm sure you'll agree that at least some govt taxes are necessary (ie those funds earmarked for defense, infrastructure, education, etc). In fact, the social programs that concern you only make up a portion of your tax burden.

I dont have the numbers to support this right now, but I'm willing to bet that the charitable portion of your income (tithes & offerings) is roughly comparable to the portion of the federal budget used to fund wealth redistribution programs.

Therefore .... if you are deducting from your taxes your tithes & offerings, you are probably only supporting those govt porgrams that you would agree are necessary.

Are you beginning to get the picture? If all professed Christians were tithing like you, there would be little need for govt social programs. The very fact that these programs exist illustrates the Church's failure to adequately minister to the underprivledged.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    "Human-ness (or the soul, as many call it) is essentially self-awareness. This sense of "I exist" appears to be the defining characteristic that seperates humans from the rest of natural world."

The key word above is appears thus IMHO this definition is philisophical in nature and philosophy in a similar manner to religion falls outside of the purely natural observable features that define for humans what "life" is. We are not even certain that animals do or do not know that they exist. That is yet one more thing in this difficult issue that isn't observable because I am not a dog or a cat. I am human.

Unfortunately the argument of whether a person is aware prior to birth has gained some support from folks who claim that their kids can remember incidents that occured while in the womb. That boils down to trusting a 2 year old who makes these claims. If any of what those kids say is true then the definition of when one becomes aware is muddled even further. Some would argue that even young infants are not aware that they exist until later. That definately does not make them less alive.

Anyway, this has been fun ... I will check up on this thread after the weekend is over. Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving and remember to be thankful for something ...

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    I, also, am done for the weekend. Yall have a great holiday!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    :cry: You are KILLING me Dirty!

I'm not even gonna reply.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    Actaully, if you're a tither, then govt does NOT get the first cut. Because you are NOT taxed for your tithes and offerings -- you get those tax dollars back each year.

I'm sure you'll agree that at least some govt taxes are necessary (ie those funds earmarked for defense, infrastructure, education, etc). In fact, the social programs that concern you only make up a portion of your tax burden.

I dont have the numbers to support this right now, but I'm willing to bet that the charitable portion of your income (tithes & offerings) is roughly comparable to the portion of the federal budget used to fund wealth redistribution programs.

Therefore .... if you are deducting from your taxes your tithes & offerings, you are probably only supporting those govt porgrams that you would agree are necessary.

Are you beginning to get the picture? If all professed Christians were tithing like you, there would be little need for govt social programs. The very fact that these programs exist illustrates the Church's failure to adequately minister to the underprivledged.
    You're right - most people who are practicing Christians probably do not tithe. And, there are probably even more people who go to church once a year at Christmas that are never giving anything through a local church - perhaps other civic organizations etc. My point is that you take away people's motivation to help others when you remove their responsibility for it and say the government will take care of welfare, etc. If nobody (GOV'T) WAS doing it then I'd love to think that only those who were unwilling to work would be dying in the ditches so to speak. We've argued this before, and looks like neither one has changed their minds.

We've argued this before
    Awwww, cmon now. We havent argued. We've only discussed.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    We've argued this before
    Awwww, cmon now. We havent argued. We've only discussed.
    OK - Discussed.

+ Reply to Thread