Quote Originally Posted by markay714

Yes, Jesus did say that. And, scripture also clearly talks about saving as well. You've gotta check context on scriptures sometimes.
What's the context there? I'm not sure. I even read it.

Regardless, what's the deal? If a party supposedly deals under the auspices of having Christian-oriented ideology, can they just pick and choose which parts to follow? And I'm not even talking about second-hand, what Paul wrote and thought about it -- I'm talking about Sermon on the Mount, fundamental teachings from the mouth of Jesus.

I doubt the RNC ever gets together and discusses the Beatitudes. Maybe GeeDubya and Ken Lay did, though.

It's political machinations. Nothing more.

I have no problem if somebody wants to get rich -- I hope to do it myself one day. But the actions at the top of the Republican decision makers are totally paradoxical to their supposed Christian grounding. Maybe that's just me.

And, scripture says in Acts that in the early church they all gave to each other as they had a need. That's WAY different than the government taking it from folks and giving it to other folks without knowing or caring if they're working or not. I absolutely believe in putting others as more important than myself and love to give to help others - I just like to let the Lord lead me as to who/how to help them. If the government takes my resources so that I have to do that with, then I sure do lose the joy of giving and sharing with others who really do have a need.
Let me throw this one out.

Louisiana Tech is a public school funded by the gov't. What's a quarter of school go for? 'Bout a thousand bucks. That's not even a drop in the bucket; closer to being free than for paying the actual cost of a college education.

1) Why do we fund it?
2) Do you consider that, in the most literal sense of the word, welfare?