+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oldest/Newest First

Hybrid View

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    My question refers to the drop down windows at the bottom of a page of messages that lets you list 'newest messages first' and how long to retain them in the list (ie, 1 day, 7 days, etc). However, is doesn't stay selected. Always reverts back to the default which is oldest message first, and I guess forever. Is there something wrong with my settings, or is that feature not available? thanks for all your work, We really appreciate it!

Ross
    ~~~~

Also just noticed the capability to post a topic as normal or 'sticky' Just what might that be? Is it that 'sticky' stays on the list forever?

Thanx again.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechsasDawg
    My question refers to the drop down windows at the bottom of a page of messages that lets you list 'newest messages first' and how long to retain them in the list (ie, 1 day, 7 days, etc). However, is doesn't stay selected. Always reverts back to the default which is oldest message first, and I guess forever. Is there something wrong with my settings, or is that feature not available? thanks for all your work, We really appreciate it!

Ross
    ~~~~

Also just noticed the capability to post a topic as normal or 'sticky' Just what might that be? Is it that 'sticky' stays on the list forever?

Thanx again.
    Ross,

Sorry I'm just now getting back to you on this. To my knowledge, there is not a personal setting to make your default view one of the ones listed in the pull down. I haven't played with that feature, but have you selected one of the options for a particular thread and then come back to that thread? If so, does THAT THREAD display the way you previously selected?

I'm wondering if the program drops a cookie or stores a variable that you want that thread to view in that manner but the others differently.

Just so you know, the mod that we have been working on to keep your viewing history is now complete and functional. The gentleman who wrote it made the changes in the raw files and tested it and it works properly. Now I have taken those files from him and am finding all the changes he made. That takes some time. Once that is completed, we will test it to make sure I caught it all and then release the mod in Beta status for others to hack over. The mod functions like this:

* When you post a new topic or reply that thread will show up as new to everyone that has access to that forum EXCEPT YOU. You wrote it, and so I[he] figured you didn't need to mark it as unread to you.
    * When you read a thread it is removed from your "unread" list.
    * When you edit a message, it is again marked as new to everyone but you.
    * When you [admins] move a topic, the topic is marked as new to everyone but you. If you [admins] leave a shadow topic, it is not marked as new.
    * When you [admins] split a topic, the part split off is marked as new to everyone but you. The portion remaining is not marked as new.
    * Polls are marked as new if someone replies, not if someone votes.
    * Mark all as read clears your entire "unread" list.
    * Mark all topics read clears your "unread" list for just that forum.
    * Moving a user to in-active deletes his/her "unread" list
    * Deleting a forum or topic removes that forum or topic's contents from everyone's "unread" list.
    * View all unread topics (notice the verbiage change) does just that...it shows you every topic you haven’t read.
    * Clicking on the orange folder [for us the NEW icon] beside the topic, opens the topic to the first new post you haven’t read. I [he] have made it so I can just go to View all unread, go to each topic’s orange folder, and read down to the end. I then added the “View all unread” at the bottom of the last thread to go to the next topic I need to check out. (Note: We will make this the default so if you click the topic title, it takes you to the first unread topic)

NOTE: The NEW icons will stay until you open the topic. They will NOT go away when you leave and come back.

Once we have this going, the pull down will probably be unnecessary.

One the Sticky, try posting a topic as sticky. I don't think y'all have the rights to do that. Sticky topics stay at the top of the topic list, but only on the first page of topics. Announcements stay at the top of the topic list for all pages within that forum.

Hope that answers your questions.

TDF (Chris)

+ Reply to Thread