+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bobby Bowden's Record

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    1973 was Bobby Bowden's eighth year as a head coach. Here were his records at West Virginia for 1973 and 1974.

1973 - 6 5 0
    1974 - 4 7 0

Just thought it might be of interest to some of you.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Sooner I'm not on the "Fire Bicknell Wagon" (yet), but I do lay the blame of the way this season is going on him. I do know that he had plenty of players coming back. 7-5 should have been the ABSOLUTE worst expectation this year. We are losing to teams due to coaching not lack of talent. I wonder how many Bowden had coming back in his second year at WV.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Those were his fourth and fifth years at West Virginia.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Okay then. I wonder if Bowden had as many returning players in his fifth year at WV as Bicknell did in his forth year.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I do not care what Bowden's record was or is now! I only care about our DAWGS and the lack of leadership at the top and poor play calling from somewhere between JBIII and whoever. Those silly A&& non excuses game after game, for the whole world to hear, are lame (not to mention embarrassing) and in all honesty, displays an IQ problem. OK, I know that was blunt and not something a gentleman should post but there it is!

I'm sure some coal miners were questioning Bowden's intelligence as well. Neither Bowden, nor Bicknell, have an intelligence problem.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    So, Sooner, how many MORE 2nd half meltdowns will it take before you see the light? Do we need to lose 5 more? 10 more? 20 more?

How many MORE games have to occur where the 114th ranked defense stops us 7 consecutive series, or some unproven freshman QB has a career day, or some winless coach gets his first win, or...????????????

I don't know the answer to that question yet 80. I just know its not time yet. For the sake of argument, even if you happen to turn out to be right, that Bick is not able to handle this job, it would do our school far more harm than good to fire him after his fourth year with the success he has had in two of his four seasons.

You can bellyache all you want, but we are not going to fire Bicknell after the season. There is no way this is happening. So, calling for his head is futile.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    I understand the need for programs to be patient with coaching staffs during tough times. But what concerns me, and leads me to believe that Bicknell’s departure needs to be sooner rather than later, is the lack of LEADERSHIP commanding the team. Bicknell may be a coaching genius waiting to bloom, but he will never be a good coach if he cannot command authority. Leadership is not an acquired trait, you either have it or you don’t. And based on the half-ass play I have seen this year, I’m afraid Coach Bicknell has lost the ship.

If we were just a bad team I would be fine with giving the coaching staff more time. Hell, right now I wish we were just simply a bad team. But this is essentially the same team that won a lot of games last year! This team has been in EVERY game this year in the first half. This team has fallen apart in the third quarter of DAMN NEAR EVERY game this year. I don’t know if it is a lack of coaching or a lack of leadership or a combination of both. But I do know that this team seems to have absolutely no guidance.

Again, I also believe Bicknell has to take a great deal of the blame for the season. Bicknell admits he has to take some of the blame. However, this is a team, and a team made up of a whole lot of young men from various backgrounds. He is a young coach. Frankly I'm not surprised at the inconsistency he has had in competing at this level.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    Again, I also believe Bicknell has to take a great deal of the blame for the season. Bicknell admits he has to take some of the blame. However, this is a team, and a team made up of a whole lot of young men from various backgrounds. He is a young coach. Frankly I'm not surprised at the inconsistency he has had in competing at this level.
    Sooner,,, I think you're right on this. but Bick needs to step up and PUBLICLY accept the blame he gets paid to accept. He's where the buck stops, even if it's his assistants who screw up.

LIke the other thread said --- accept the blame like Stoops did.

Notice that after Bowling Green's perfect season was ended on Saturday, their HC simply said "We were outplayed and outcoached"" !!

+ Reply to Thread