+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kind of interesting

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    I heard this on the radio after the lsu game last night. An add for lsu women's sports was touting the strength of lsu women's bb. Said they were the top ranked team in the state (a pretty desperate statement considering) and how everybody needed to come out and support them. Said a person could get a pass to see EVERY women's home game for $50. Title nine has done SO MUCH for women's college athletics. :roll: So much money poured in to a major SEC university women's program and they still have to beg people to come.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    Most seasons you can get into lsu lady games for free.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Really? Can you imagine the amount of money being poured into that black hole down there? How 'bout in the SEC as a whole? It's just a waste and unnecessary at that.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    What's wrong with that?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    I will defend LSU here ...

They give away tickets for ONE game a year. The Pack the PMAC game. Last season they finally broke the state single game attendance record that used to be held by Louisiana Tech.

The difference is that we had a PAID crowd of 8000+
    They had a paid crowd of about 500 and 7800 bodies in the stands that got their tickets free at McDonalds.

However, this season, they will have a few more paid that liked what they saw at that game. Work that out over a decade and you have a bigger fan base. Worth it IMHO. I am shocked that Baton Rouge HS teams do not get out to catch the Lady Tigers. I have seen HS teams from Lafayette and New Orleans show up at ULL and UNO games to watch the Techsters (and actually root for them) ... Tradition helps us a lot. LSU is working from the same disadvantage that we work from in football. The difference is, they have the $$$ to pour at the problem.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    Tradition helps us a lot. LSU is working from the same disadvantage that we work from in football. The difference is, they have the $$$ to pour at the problem.
    And an Administration who can see the advantages of it and do something about it.

Dirty, I figured this would spring a debate from you. You asked, "what's wrong with that?"

If you mean pouring money into a black hole, that is exactly what is wrong. I don't mind some of it going to wbb, but it should be spread out evenly among all non-revenue sports, both men's and womens. WBB should not get a larger percentage. It's like somebody out there wants to force wbb on us. They put more money in it, but it loses more money than any other sport. No matter how much money is poured into wbb, whether at Tech, lsu, Tenn., or the WNBA it will continue to lose money and be a budget drain.

maddawg,

Don't you think that all sports should receive equal portions at public institutions considering all of the public's taxes go to support the university that has these sports. Who's to say that a sport a girl plays deserves less than what a boy plays when their parents all contribute to the public university? I understand that at this time it's a couple of men's sports that are generally the money makers, but how do we know that would be the case if schools and universities had offered sports for girls as far back as they did for football? Should these sports that produce less revenue be punished because they have been handicapped due to their infancy in American soceity? Look at the progress several of these sports have gained in only the last 20 years. Imagine where those sports would be if you multiplied that progress 5 times.

If I thought you were serious, I would continue to debate. Just give the same amount per player to women's golf, men's golf, tennis, cross country, volleyball, softball, baseball, etc. Don't focus on one women's sport and try to force it on me because it is PC.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Maddawg,

Your argument of giving the same amount to women's golf, volleyball, etc. doesn't make much sense to me. That would mean that you would give the same amount of money to men's tennis, golf, etc. as you do to football and mbb.

Women's basketball obviously has the most potential of any women's sport to be popular. That is why more money is given to that sport.

Yes, there are many people that don't watch wbb. That is fine. No one is forcing them to do so. That does not mean that those of us who enjoy it do not want to see it. I think Dirty is exactly right that women's sports have just started to see money in their direction. This is long overdue. You have no way to know how big some women's sports will be in 10 or even 20 years. From the rate that it is growing at some schools, I would say in 5 years you will see a dramatic difference.

Already, schools like Tenn., UConn, most of the Big 12, and some others are seeing packed houses for wbb. That is great news. I saw Diana Taurasi featured on Sports Illustrated recently. In 1998, I remember an adverstisement in SI that showed the Lady Techsters on their bus. That is GREAT press. We have a great opportunity now to capitalize on our tradition of excellence. We can compete with anyone in the country. How many other Tech sports have that advantage? The wbb programs around the country are not draining the football budgets - believe me.

That is an old argument. Women's sports are here to stay and will continue to grow. That is a good thing, in my opinion.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Already, schools like Tenn., UConn, most of the Big 12, and some others are seeing packed houses for wbb.
    If we had $9 million to spend on EACH of our sports, we would be drawing packed houses too!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    I agree EJ. Same for all our sports. Another key is to win, though.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    I agree. Winning solves many problems that money cannot!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    FYI,

The Lady Vols lead the NCAA in attendance. You can walk into Exxon stations anywhere in Tennessee and buy $5 tickets.

Seems like a pretty good idea to me. I wonder if we could fill up our football stadium like that.

Seriously, if they can bring in 12 to 15 thousand at $5 each, that sure helps with the budget. It is better than 7000 (at their place) at full price. Plus, many of those people will talk about what a great game and come back or tell others.

Good plan in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread