+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kind of interesting

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    I'm quite on track, maddawg. I know you didn't come out and say get rid of wbb, but in essence, by removing the money that will cause it to grow, you will kill it. It's the same thing. That's like saying that tree hasn't grown any, let's take some of the water from it and give it the same amount as the other plants in the yard.

However, unlike the tree, there has been major growth in wbb in the last 20 years. What makes you think it has reached it's maximum interest level when schools and the media are just now starting to tap that interest and market?

However, the point I was trying to make that you seemed to miss in your fervor to try to keep me on track was that to make all things fair in college athletics, do away with all of them, not just the non-revenue sports. Afterall, the universities' main priority is an education isn't it? Let each university give the same amount to each program for it's growth and then let those programs make it on their own merits while getting the same amount from the school each year.

Unfortunately, that can't be done now because, as I have said, the other minor sports haven't been promoted as football and mbb have for as long so there is already a major disparity. Because of that major disparity, you have to even things out by taking from those who have been given the unfair advantage and giving it to those that have been neglected.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Maddawg, WE AGREE ON SOMETHING! We both think this is a good diversion from another heartbreaking topic.

That is about all we agree on, though. Anyway, I think Dirty summed it up pretty well. Until the same amount of money and promotion are put into Women's sports that have been put into Men's sports, it is not an even playing field.

So, considering the promotion of men's sports at least since Gladiator days (that is being very generous with the time frame), I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I, personally, will enjoy watching them grow.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    That is about all we agree on, though. Anyway, I think Dirty summed it up pretty well. Until the same amount of money and promotion are put into Women's sports that have been put into Men's sports, it is not an even playing field.
    Why should football and men's basketball be FORCED to spend the money they earned on the promotion and growth of women's sports...

I know at TECH, that if they could, they would spend everylast dollar on the women's basketball program to met Title IX compliance - they don't give a hoot about women's tennis, cross country, track, volleyball or softball...

And it is very obvious that our administration holds to this because of the piss poor programs they field in other WOMEN's sports...

Now tell me once again how big of a diffence Title IX has made - half of the WAC schools can't fund baseball or wrestling because of Title IX...

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    WBB has the most potential of any women's sport to break through to profit. That is why it is important. BUT, it is not only about the profit. That has been covered well in this thread plus in the past.

Dwayne,
    Why is baseball and wrestling more important than wbb?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    I'm not saying it is - but what about the other women's sports I listed?

Doesn't baseball have a higher chance of making money than wbb or any other women's sport at 99% of the schools -

And I gurantee you that at schools in the midwest and northwest wrestling makes WAY more money than wbb could even dream of making...

Did you know that baseball at small schools like Southern Miss and Witchita State MAKE money...

What ya'll fail to realize with the "NEW" ESPN contract between them and the NCAA is that it not only covers wbb, but the College World Series, Softball, Volleyball and about 8 other MINOR sports that they show the Championships for...

There is not a great wealth to be found in wbb - men's basketball is the quickest way to profit on ANY campus...

I'm just 100% against mandated entitlement programs - and that is all that Title IX is...

I firmly believe that you should be allowed to have as many men's and women's sports as you can fund at your school as long as you met a minimum of 8 & 8 fully funded rides -

I believe that Title IX is much like the labor unions - a good idea that has served its purpose and should now be kicked to the curve...

We will never agree on this one Dwayne.

First of all, I have a real hard time believing that wrestling can make more money than wbb. I guess if you compare a weak wbb program that only draws an average of 100 fans compared to a sucessful wrestling club - then, maybe.. BUT, we are talking potential not actual in that case. Wbb has the potential to make a great profit if you have a winner and market it. Then add to that the press for a winning team. The potential is there and most of the schools in the big conferences are starting to see that. Believe me, otherwise they would not be sinking money into wbb. They could just as easily give out the scholarships, coaches salaries, etc. to cheaper women's venues and meet Title IX.

"What ya'll fail to realize with the "NEW" ESPN contract between them and the NCAA is that it not only covers wbb, but the College World Series, Softball, Volleyball and about 8 other MINOR sports that they show the Championships for... "

GREAT!

"I firmly believe that you should be allowed to have as many men's and women's sports as you can fund at your school as long as you met a minimum of 8 & 8 fully funded rides - "

You are talking about going back to the old days. Ahhhh the old days. When men were men and women stayed in the kitchen and out of athletics. Give me a break on that one. No school would fund hardly any women's sports if that were the case and we would go back to more than half of our population not having a chance. The "good ol' boy" network of having second class citizens. You know, if we didn't allow them to vote, we probably wouldn't have Title IX anyway. Geeesh...

"I believe that Title IX is much like the labor unions - a good idea that has served its purpose and should now be kicked to the curve..."

What purpose would it have served? Everything would go back to the way it was. Also, you state that it has served its purpose, but then earlier stated that it didn't work and is a failure.

Like I said, we will never agree on this. I have seen my friends little girls and their friends out in the driveway playing bball after going to a Lady Techster game. 30 years ago they would have been playing with dolls. I don't care what they play with, but know that having a choice is a GREAT THING!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    To answer your question Dwayne about why should mbb and football monies be used to help the other programs I would have to reiterate that these programs have had an unfair advantage by being promoted, heck just being in existence for at least 30 years longer on college campuses than have wbb. However, I agree that these monies should be divided equally amongst all the programs not that wbb should get more than the other non-revenue sports or less than the revenue sports.

+ Reply to Thread