+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kind of interesting

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    It wasn't until recently that Tennessee actually turned a profit on womens basketball BUT it was done.

NOW here is the real kicker ... womens basketball IS expensive BUT it brings in more revenue than baseball. Of course when you add the numbers up, it is still a big money loser. However, compare top attendances in baseball and womens basketball. You will be shocked. Overall attendance, if it is not higher, it is very similar between baseball and womens basketball. That includes the fact that baseball plays more games ...

Compare the last five years attendance numbers. Womens basketball is growing faster than any other non-revenue sport. It isn't that far away.

Finally, compare the coverage on ESPN between womens basketball and any of the other non-revenue sports. While ESPN may be on the east coast (haven A for liberal thought) they do not make decisions without the almighty dollar in mind. They do not telivise the entire womens tournament for their health. NBC and ESPN do not telivise WNBA games for fun nor do RICH NBA owners dump money into an investment they do not think has potential. We are talking evil rich folks here ... Mister Burns if you will. Do you DOUBT their evil schemes enough to believe that they do anything they do not think will have a future return????

Given its growth it makes sense of all womens sports to pour the most money into. It kills two birds with one stone. It has the long term potential to be a money maker AND it helps keep the Title IX police away.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Good plan in my opinion.
    Unfortunately, we cannot get our people up top to plan for the future...

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    So true EJ!

and weunice, your post is right on the mark. It just makes sense. Think about the Women's final four this last year. They had to use the lottery system for tickets to the Alamodome.

It is growing fast and will continue to do so. Tech would be wise to keep up with the Jone's in this battle. We can not put up near the money that the SEC and Big 12 can, but we have something much more special to build on.

I long for the day to see the Lady Techsters and Dawgs both come home with the National Championship. It starts tonight against #7 Florida, which by the way I am turning off the computer now and getting my snacks ready.

Talk to all of you tomorrow after I have some fried gator on a stick.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Athletics are important to young women as much as to young men. If there are redeeming social values in athletic endeavor, they are equally valuable for men and women.
    I REJOICE daily in seeing women dressed in athletic shoes and clothing rather than dresses and high heels and all the uncomfortable, unhealthful and even dangerous garb of the past.
    Crimes against women are bound to decrease when the majority of women receive athletic training. There is something really illogical about a woman crossing a dangerous street in shoes that won't allow her to run safely.
    And athletic women live longer and resist depression and other ailments better and have babies easier and have healthier babies and ..... well you have to have known a few to get the full picture!

Let Title IX have its effect. You'll love it someday, if you haven't already noticed the changes.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Great post Aub!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    It's been around for what? 30 years? How long will it take? You can't force things on people and make them like it. Doesn't matter if it's women's sports or not.

Champion, you mentioned the "fat cats" throwing money into the WNBA. Two words.............Tax Break :wink:

I don't think we are going to change your mind Maddawg. The great thing about sports is that everyone has their favorite and does not have to watch the other. For example, I can not sit through a baseball or golf game. WAYYYY to slow and boring for me. I don't watch those sports. I do follow Tech's progress in them, though.

Ain't America great!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    Let Title IX have its effect. You'll love it someday, if you haven't already noticed the changes.
    Title IX SUCKS!

TITLE IX SUCKS...

once again

Title IX sucks...

Yes Dwayne, we know how you feel as well.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    It's been around for what? 30 years? How long will it take? You can't force things on people and make them like it. Doesn't matter if it's women's sports or not.

Champion, you mentioned the "fat cats" throwing money into the WNBA. Two words.............Tax Break :wink:
    Yeah, but it hasn't been truly enforced during that time and it wasn't actually just meant to encompass sports.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Dirty, It's just like most social programs (I hope we don't have to move this to the political board ). How long will it take? Do we just keep trying and trying? Throwing money at the problem? Give me a time table please. When will enough be enough? Twenty years from now, things will be the same and you knee jerkers will still be screaming for more money to solve the problem that doesn't exist
    Thankyouverymuch,
    A Concerned Citizen

Vote Terrell :lol:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    I say you keep "throwing money" as long as there is progress. There has been and is continuous progress. The fact of the matter is that the minor men's sports don't make any more money than women's. Should we just do away with those sports too? To make it truly fair, why not just do away with all college funded sports. If someone wants to play, that person can try out like in high school.

Okay, my liberal friend, try to stay on track here. I never suggested doing away with wbb. Go back and look at my earlier posts. I suggested spreading the money out evenly among all non-revenue sports. I suggest doing it pro-rata. If we are going to give to wbb, let's do the same for women's golf or men's cross country. Hey, let's just throw out the men's non-revenue sports and just do the women's. Why not give the same amount of money to women's softball as we give to wbb? Because somebody, somewhere has decided that wbb is the next great spectator sport. That's why. I happen to disagree............and I'm right. :wink:

Gone to watch some paint dry now.

[blur:c3c4c496ee]Title IX will end when women stop wanting equal treatment. Imagine the nerve of the majority of our population wanting to play sports and be treated the same as the men. It just doesn't make sense. No college should be forced to treat one group the same as another. Next thing you know they will want as much funding as football. And don't go saying that they should get that. After all, college sports are about which team brings in the most money, right? It isn't about equal treatment or a well rounded educational experience.

Sports are bad for women. I don't understand why they ever wanted to play OUR games. They should go create their own games and not expect us to come watch them, unless they can dress in tight tops and short skirts.[/blur:c3c4c496ee]

YES, this was sarcastic, but it is just how some sound that argue against Title IX. Title IX has JUST started being enforced. No one paid any attention to it until the last few years. It is not a failure. It is really in it's infancy. Now, maybe we could lighten up a bit or take this to the political board. :lipseal2:

Frankly, there is no use arguing about it anyway.

Awe come on Champion. This is fun . It helps take the mind off problems that we are helpless to do anything about (you know I'm talkin' football, right?)

Okay, I'll ask you then. How long will it take this Title 9 thing to work?

You said in jest...........
    They should go create their own games and not expect us to come watch them, unless they can dress in tight tops and short skirts.

See now I like women's volleyball. That's where they should start spending some BIG BUCKS. Much more exciting than wbb too.

+ Reply to Thread