+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Major Board Modification - PLEASE READ and HELP!!!

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    Very shortly we will be installing a MAJOR message board modification and we need your help!

Ever since moving to this board format, we have been working to make the board more and more user friendly. One of the modifications we told you we would be installing after it was developed was "READ TRACKING". That mod has now been completed and we are going to put it here. I can't emphasize enough how major of a change this is to the way this program operates!!! Up till now, the little "new" icon goes away after you leave the site. It SHOULD now stay there until you view the thread. I know this sounds minor, but there was A LOT involved in this.

Here is where we need the help! - This mod is relatively UNTESTED. It has been installed on some test boards with up to 40 people using it. It hasn't seen the type of test it will have here with around 200 posts per day and 400+ users. We are the first! Since we had a hand in the development of this mod, we have an obligation to test it before releasing it to the other phpbb users around the world.

PLEASE give some feedback! We are particularly interested in any performance (speed) changes. Also, if you see anything "weird" happening, let us know. This is part of troubleshooting. We will be posting this thread in several forums, including Help, which is where we'd like to have the feedback.

The functions which change with this are as follows:

* When you post a new topic or reply that thread will show up as new to everyone that has access to that forum EXCEPT YOU. You wrote it, and so we figured you didn't need to mark it as unread to you.
    * When you read a thread it is removed from your "unread" list.
    * When you edit a message, it is again marked as new to everyone but you.
    * When admins move a topic, the topic is marked as new to everyone but the admin. If the admin leaves a shadow topic, it is not marked as new.
    * When admins split a topic, the part split off is marked as new to everyone but the admin. The portion remaining is not marked as new.
    * Polls are marked as new if someone replies, not if someone votes.
    * Mark all as read clears your entire "unread" list.
    * Mark all topics read clears your "unread" list for just that forum.
    * View unread topics (notice the verbiage change) does just that...it shows you every topic with posts you haven't read.
    * Clicking on the New icon beside the topic, opens the topic to the first new post you haven't read. We have made it so we can just go to View all unread, go to each topic's new icon, and read down to the end. We then added the "View all unread" at the bottom of the last thread to go to the next topic.

Thanks for you help and patience in waiting for this board change.

The BB&B Admin Team

Puppy RCHawaii is an unknown
    Hey!

I'm on a 56k connection, when if any would I notice a slowdown? So far, I haven't seen any really.

If I can, I will come back periodically to see how this thing is working. for now I'm going to have a good look around. Way cool site, sorry I haven't checked it out.

RCHawaii

GO BOWS!@!

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    Good to see you made it over, RC. The mod seems to be working pretty well, but the read_history table is getting pretty large. Before we release, brookman is working on a couple of things. First is the user's manual describing, in detail, the mod and functions of it. Also will be recommendations of what type of board it should be installed on (it would never work on phpbb.com). Second, is a prune function for maintaining the read_history table. Those are important features.

After those are completed, we'll get it released.

TDF (Chris)

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan
    Good to see you made it over, RC.
    Thanks!

The mod seems to be working pretty well, but the read_history table is getting pretty large.
    That's not good news.

Before we release, brookman is working on a couple of things. First is the user's manual describing, in detail, the mod and functions of it. Also will be recommendations of what type of board it should be installed on (it would never work on phpbb.com).
    Huh? I am not sure what you mean by it would never work on phpbb.com?? Is it limited somewhere by hardware/software on the server or???? Yeah, I bet a manual could get quite extensive, but necessary.

Personally I would have left out some of the "features" and made it only do the post update. Do you have any idea on how it is going to handle the read_history table at some given time? (Because I assume it's building up for everyone.)

Second, is a prune function for maintaining the read_history table. Those are important features.
    See above, also it sounds extremely complex-but is is possible to have an auto-prune at a set time?

After those are completed, we'll get it released.

TDF (Chris)
    Sounds and works awesome on my end. I see no slowness thus far.

[quote:1ee79e6b2f]The mod seems to be working pretty well, but the read_history table is getting pretty large.
    That's not good news.[/quote:1ee79e6b2f]

We have around 430 users, about 200 posts/day, and after 1 week of operation, the table has 43,000 rows. But functionally, we have seen no decrease in performance from the board!

[quote:1ee79e6b2f]Before we release, brookman is working on a couple of things. First is the user's manual describing, in detail, the mod and functions of it. Also will be recommendations of what type of board it should be installed on (it would never work on phpbb.com).
    Huh? I am not sure what you mean by it would never work on phpbb.com?? Is it limited somewhere by hardware/software on the server or???? Yeah, I bet a manual could get quite extensive, but necessary.[/quote:1ee79e6b2f]

phpbb.com has over 18,000 users and countless posts/day. The shear volume and size of the board would make it impractical to install the mod and keep it running stable. Brookman discusses this in his user's guide which is now complete.

Personally I would have left out some of the "features" and made it only do the post update. Do you have any idea on how it is going to handle the read_history table at some given time? (Because I assume it's building up for everyone.)
    Time will tell. The only feature I would have left off is the one where the edit causes the new flag to come back. Aside from that, they are all pretty useful.

[quote:1ee79e6b2f] Second, is a prune function for maintaining the read_history table. Those are important features.
    See above, also it sounds extremely complex-but is is possible to have an auto-prune at a set time?[/quote:1ee79e6b2f]

Auto-prune will be part of it. For this board, 1 week would be about right. 2 at the tops.
    [quote:1ee79e6b2f]After those are completed, we'll get it released.

TDF (Chris)
    Sounds and works awesome on my end. I see no slowness thus far.[/quote:1ee79e6b2f]

Ditto. Brookman wrote me an e-mail today asking if we were ready to release the Beta. I think so. I'll write him back tomorrow and see if he wants to do it or me.

TDF

All great news! I have about the same users as you, alot less traffic at the moment at http://rcamericaonline.com, so at least I'm "in the game" to coin a phrase. :wink:

Chris, Very Nice Indeed!

[scroll:7fdfb0c824]And you and Brookman are doing a great job I can see that!!![/scroll:7fdfb0c824]

I have been looking at it, and it looks and works very well here- Will it be a vey difficult thing to add? I have very few mods, so I hope not.

Are you using Mods Manager to install your mods? It's available on the Beta Mod board. I wrote the mod completely compatable with that and it installed on auto. Only one line was different due to a couple of mods we already had.

It is a long one. Only one SQL modification to make and that's adding the read_tracking table which is 4 fields. One file to upload.

I'll e-mail you what we have so far so you can take a look at it. But don't install until we release.

TDF (Chris)

No I'm not using MODS Manager- I take that I should? I really haven't even looked at it. After my ugrade from 2.01 to 2.03 fiasco, I've avoided changing too much. I will check out the email gladly though-Thanks Much!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Chris, I'm starting to notice that at times, after I've read all the posts, when I go back to the message board page it shows that there are new posts in a folder, but when I go check, there are no new posts. I think I've only noticed this under the football folder, but can't be sure if that's the only one I've seen it for or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Chris, I'm starting to notice that at times, after I've read all the posts, when I go back to the message board page it shows that there are new posts in a folder, but when I go check, there are no new posts. I think I've only noticed this under the football folder, but can't be sure if that's the only one I've seen it for or not.
    Todd,

Yes, I'm sure that is happening. You'll probably also see that in the future in the BB forums. The reason is if somebody comes in and edits one of their posts in the thread, it marks the thread as new to everyone. You have to scroll through and find which post has been edited, to find what the change is. I think it's also doing that if someone changes their signature, but I'm not sure about that.

In hind site, I'd probably have left that particular feature out. But it will prove useful as David and others edit the season schedules in the basketball forums as the season progresses.

Thanks again for helping us test this mod!!!

Chris

Yes I agree that it's a good thing that this happens. If, for example someone pulls up their old post to add a pic of the highlights or a screep cap of the latest scores, a new jersey logo, whatever, then you'll notice that it flags as new. Not a bad feature at all. Maybe there will be a way to know what flagged it as new, but that's getting down to the nitty gritty aint it.

8O

P.S. I have read all over the text and had a look at the changes. Actually I thought it was even more complex than it was. It's not as bad as I imagined IOW. (But I realize harder than it looks to figure out how to make it work.

Do you know when there will be a release date?

While examining the possibilities of this MOD, I think that it's best for a new forum opening up, or a smaller one as far as installation and scalability as you've mentioned, also in the docs.

I still like it a lot.

I will be changing my domain soon to match my forum-long story behind that one, so I will keep checking here for updates or information.

Thanks Guys!

+ Reply to Thread