+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Growl on 11-21-02

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar
    I misses the Growl tonight, what was said. Did bicknell apalogize for saying haftime adjustmenst are over-rated?

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    I don't know what was said, but I DO know that I will NEVER watch ESPN again!!! They're announcers are just plain STUPID! Imagine the comment they made in the 2nd half tonight about EVERY coach making halftime adjustments?!? I mean, didn't they get the memo that they are over rated and coaches are going to stop doing things differently in the second half of the games?

TDF (Chris)

*** The above message is meant to be humorous, and does not represent a flame or slam on any coach or currently employed in NCAA Div I-A Football ***

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    I believe I heard them say it would be interesting to see which coaches made the best adjustments at half. I guess Miami did because they came out on top 28-21. Pittsburgh gave em a run for their money though.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I misses the Growl tonight, what was said. Did bicknell apalogize for saying haftime adjustmenst are over-rated?
    Just the opposite - he stated he STILL believes half time adjustments are over-rated...

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    I think the word that he and Dave settled on was "tweaked"

Based on that converstion, our coaches "tweak" things at halftime. I guess that is *good* news.

:sleep3:

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar
    The email question from Reddawg (see earlier post on growlquestions) was answered mainly about recruiting-we're looking for BIG men--defensive linemen that we're losing-looking for db's and safetys and a QB.....There was a lady caller asking if the QB job was INDEED up for grabs in the spring -Jack said most definately it's between the 4 QBs in now...the half time adjustments were again brought up and Jack said again they were over-rated but Dave jumped in and said O.K. so what if we used the word "tweaked"...Jack mentioned they do evaluate doing the second half --but---last year when we were winning NO ONE said anything to him about half time adjustments...he brought up two plays that started the second quarters in games this year that worked and said those were adjustments,,,,,the new Indy stadium was mentioned and Jack said there were even leather chairs in the locker room-"guess those are for sitting in for the half time adjustments!!"
    His parting words were that he was going to get to work right now on his half time adjustments for the upcoming games.
    We had Adam McConathy and Micheal J. Lenard on after Jack and they really did handle themselves great-I was impressed with both of them--they seem to be class guys and I can see how we missed them in the lineup.
    Very little turnout--AGAIN--only one call for questions. Jack seemed to be very relaxed and kidded a lot more then normal--he answered some of Dave's questions with play terms and looked like he was enjoying it.
    The main topic was that last year we got breaks and made plays and this year (we didnt take stupid pills this summer)we didn't get the breaks or make the plays--he did say that UTEP was a good football team that didn't get the breaks either this year.

It was the last Growl and Dave and I would like to invite everyone to join us Dec 5th at the big white alumni tent for the special growl live from the tailgate area--Jack won't be there but we plan on having some of the other coaches from different sports--like Keith and Budke and Simoneaux to talk other Tech sports...everyone is invited to come and chat with Dave on the air.....the time will be
    6Pm to 7Pm Thursday --

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TECHAJUN
    It was the last Growl and Dave and I would like to invite everyone to join us Dec 5th at the big white alumni tent for the special growl live from the tailgate area--Jack won't be there but we plan on having some of the other coaches from different sports--like Keith and Budke and Simoneaux to talk other Tech sports...everyone is invited to come and chat with Dave on the air.....the time will be 6Pm to 7Pm Thursday --
    Now, that will draw a good crowd... having the GROWL right before the Fresno game. GREAT IDEA. I will actually be able to make that one!

I will add this to the calendar via the events forum.

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Apparently, someone has been talking to the coach. He clarified that some adjustments are made at half time this year, just like last year. He just doesn't think that the adjustments are a factor in the losses.

He also kept saying that he wasn't supposed to say "frustrated", so apparently someone is passing on some of the comments made on this board. My impression was that he was irritated that people who are not coaches are trying to tell him how to coach the team, which I believe is a sign of the siege mentality he has shown recently. There are always going to be people second guessing losses, and as a coach he needs to let the criticisms and unwanted advice roll off his back. Commenting on them only adds to the feeding frenzy.

Personally, I think the only mistake he made this year was to build fan expectations early in the year. I am not going to mention player names, but a lot of the players he touted as being game breakers, either offensively or defensively, have not lived up to expectations. That along with a few key injuries have made what we thought was going to be a great football team into a team that is competitive.

This team had a lot of potential, but as Dandy Don Meredith used to say, "Potential is a heavy burden to bear." We may not have had a lot of success this year, but I am still proud to be a Louisiana Tech fan, and in the five games I have seen, I have not been disappointed in the team effort.

Keep fighting Dawgs! I'll be driving from B'ham, Alabama to see y'all this weekend in Shreveport. Beat UTEP!

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I only heard the first 20 minutes, but Jack did well last night I thought and I liked what he said and his attitude did seem more laid back and less defensive. I agree with what he said about really it was more important to make adjustments during the second half than half-time adjustments b/c the other team is also making adjustments, but he did agree that the coaches tweaked and changed things at halftime but that they didn't scrap the gameplan totally and I don't think anyone really believed that is what other coaches did either.

I love the ideal about the growl at the game and I'll be there! Thanks for your hard work this year and hopefully next year will be a success. I think having other people on the second half of the show is a great ideal and should be continued next year and that gives people something extra to look forward to. I also don't think that one person you guys had on did not do a great job and everyone seemed impressed with Smith, Jackson and the players-great job and Thanks!

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Having read some of the posts since mine, maybe I missed something. Listening on the internet, I couldn't tell Jack was relaxed or that he was enjoying himself.

The comments about sitting down and reviewing film with anyone who would like to show him what Boise State did differently in the second half, seemed defensive to me, but then I wasn't there.

I think Jack is a classy guy who represents us well in the press and during game interviews, so I hope my comments are not coming across as negative. I know he is giving us his best.

I listened to an interview with the Alabama coach last night and he said something, which I think would have made Jack envious. He said his Alabama team was a pleasure to coach this year, because of the team consistency. He had the luxury of knowing what to expect from each player during each game. That has got to be a coaches dream, even if the talent level is not as high as he would like.

Varsity Bulldog Omaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really nice Omaha Bulldog's Avatar
    I would have to disagree with most- I think JBIII and the coaching staff make plenty of adjustments at half time. Just look at today's game - first half, Joe Smith is able to gain yards run and catching the football. Third quarter - he only touched the football once. That is an adjustment. Same thing in alot of our games this year - something works in the first half, we almost completely go away from it in the second half. The problem is the coaches make very bad half time adjustments.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    yeah, joe has a great ist half so luke goes out and throws 3 interceptions in the 3rd quarter. i guess we were trying to save joe for the 4th.

a roommate of a player told me they practice sunday night so they can have monday off. problem is, after all these road games, bicknell let them have sunday night off because they were tired from traveling, then they still dont have monday practice. so for a lot of these games we have tues, wed, thurs, to practice hard for an opponent. that really sounds like bicknell is trying to toughen up and turn the season around.

i hope bicknell takes all of this criticism and has a good 10 days of practice, comes out against fresno, and blows them out. he really needs to end this season on a positive note so he can shut us up and salvage recruiting season.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    I was thinking the same thing Omaha in the third quarter. And this isn't the first time I have thought that about Joe not touching the ball in 3rd quarter after a good 1st half. Most of those games we have lost also. Of Course if I was OC we'd probably suck, but Joe would carry the ball on run plays 25 times a game minimum plus catch some balls on top of that like he does.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Joe has only averaged carrying the ball 17 times/game this year. If he had 25 carrys/game, he would already be over 1500 yards for the season. How many RB's average 5.8 yards/carry? This is joe's last game, so there's no need of saving him for next week. Let's give him the ball and let him kick some butt.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Don, I mostly agree about running Joe more, but also believe Joe's average may be better because teams expect us to pass every play. I was very encouraged by the way we used the tight ends last Saturday. We also used Joe well catching passes out of the backfield early in the game. If we use the tight ends and Joe Smith running and catching against Fresno, that should open the door for us to hit some long pass plays in the game after we lull them to sleep. It worked exactly that way Saturday, but we dropped what would have been a great touchdown bomb.

+ Reply to Thread