+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Growl on 11-21-02

Puppy lalatech is an unknown
    I liked the tight end move too. BUT, even though a TD was dropped, 3 picks on successive drives would have spelled certain defeat had the opposing team not been one of the 5 worst in this nation. I say we let Joe carry the ball 30 times and limit the passing as much as possible to the SAFEST routes possible. If we give Fresno a chance by throwing 2 or more interceptions AGAIN we will get beat big time. I am at a total loss as to why Bicknell has not given Maxie a shot. Especially after 3 picks in a row. Unreal.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    I just have to believe that the coaches feel they are going with the better QB. I agree that the three interceptions would have spelled defeat against a better team. Luke has made a lot of bad choices this year when it comes to throwing the ball into traffic. I thought all three interceptions Saturday were on balls he shouldn't have thrown, or should have thrown away. He has a great upside, too, though. I guess the coaches feel on balance he gives us the better opportunity to win. It seems at all levels of football, when teams aren't winning, people always question who should be the top QB. I just think that's a natural fan reaction.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    I've been as dissapointed as anybody with Luke this year AND last year, but in his defense............

The coaches kept saying that it wasn't all Luke's fault. The recievers were running "lazy" routes. Soooooo I started concentrating more on what the receivers were doing than what Luke was doing. The coaches are correct. On many (if not most) plays the receivers are running routes, but are more concerned with the DB than where Luke is. They aren't looking and forcing Luke to hold the ball longer than he should have to. Dawg80 and I discussed this last week. He was ready to throw to the receiver on a couple of plays, but had to wait until the reciever was looking to deliver.

BUT.........Luke still doesn't see the whole field well and he WILL NOT look off a receiver.

Puppy lalatech is an unknown
    Luke's upside should be here by now. He is a 3 year starter. Maybe the recievers know he is only watching one of them and the others give up knowing the pill isn't coming there way. Point is that you really don't know how well Max would perform until you put him in. The QB is the goat or hero. In our situation goat has won out MANY more times this year. Not just the picks that resulted in opposing TD's, but the ones that killed momentum and confidence. Like at Clemson, Penn State, Rice, San Jose and Boise. If the team has no confidence in the QB bad things happen. Have happened. And don't tell me about the great win he pulled out against Ok. State. THAT is what he is supposed to do. Especially as a 3 year starter.

I'm not saying it's all Luke's fault. It's not. But how can Bicknell not sit a kid down when he is playing so poorly and inconsistently without giving Max a shot? What would happen? Lose a game? I rarely see or hear people criticize Luke. Like he's the best thing since sliced bread. And when I do hear it, it is always tempered with stuff like NFL prospect, rifle arm, lazy recievers, dropped passes, etc..... . Rifle arms are like rifles. You miss targets if the sights are off. The sights are on the rifle. Not the deer. QBing is much more than that. Leadership and confidence are at the top of the list. I don't think Luke leads well or INSPIRES confidence among his teammates. I do think he has plenty of SELF-CONFIDENCE. To the point where he THINKS he can get a ball somewhere he can't. BECAUSE of the rifle arm. And why is he so hesitant to pull it down and take off. Is he trying to protect an imagined NFL career?

It's too late this year. But I would hope that Bicknell doesn't make the same mistake next season. Even if Luke is the starter Bick better be ready to make the change if the same stuff happens. If Luke plays to his potential, stick with him. If he doesn't, jerk him or we will see the same results next year as we saw this year.

+ Reply to Thread