+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MISSED PREGAME???? READ THIS

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses
    The Lincoln Logs are about to weigh this program down for good. Dirtydawg, I feel that instead of giving in to them, we (BB&B Loyalists) should become even more vocal and direct our displeasure straight to the AD, President and Athletic Council. I don't think they really realize what a powerful group the BB&B Loyalists are.
    Amos,
    I feel the same way. I was wondering if we could get something togther for the Friday after the FSU game with Oaks and Reneau to voice our concerns and see what their plan (if any) is for our future. If they have no plans and don't plan on getting one, I will be in the boat with Dirty. As he said, its just not worth it. Especially when you drive four hours to sit with 5000 others in a very nice 60k seat stadium to watch the "defending wac champions beat the #1 worst team in the country by 14 points at home". That was not my quote, but it is very accurate! And the game was still very much in question with 9 minutes to play!

Dirty,
    I don't know if you will read this or not, but that was an excellent post. I reread it several times to see if I could add anything and I couldn't. You said it all. It should be used in our response to Jimmy, Dan (2), Dave and Jim.

Brennan

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    I won't comment on the content of what was read in the pregame show since I wasn't able to hear it on the internet.

What disturbs me is pregame show time being used for editorial commentary rather than setting the scene for the upcoming game. If that content deserves airtime, it should be on a Growl show to allow fan feedback.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Dan Newman should be praising BB&B for all we do for Tech athletics. I don't think anyone should stop posting or donating to La Tech or promoting La Tech just because of something Dan Newman said to help feed his HUGE ego. Maybe it's time we put the pressure on Newman to resign and let someone else do the color commentary like a former player. As they say, with friends like Newman, who needs enemies? I would love to see Big Mick doing the color.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
    Darn it, I was not going to log back on BB&B until after Christmas, then this comes along. Okay, one post. This is the text of my E-sponse to Mr. Watson:

I have had the pleasure of reading your article addressing the subject because some one "in anonymity" posted its essence on the BB&B message board. Bulldog Barks & Bytes is a source of information related to Louisiana Tech and is a "hang out" for a lot of us, who live far from Ruston -one as far away as Japan, who hunger for information about Bulldog sports. Most of us who have been active members of the "board" for many years consider it almost as a second family. We care about Tech. We want the best for Tech. Certainly, just as in all "families" we have some who are a bit more "bombastic" than others, but whether positively or negatively, we do respond, and we do let our opinions be known. No, we do not march lock step, with each other, or with the University's Administration. But we do care.

I will only address one of your points:

"Chew on that while you're sitting at home ripping the Tech coaching staff on your annoying Web site instead of driving out to Independence Stadium."

There have been several unnecessary remarks made toward Coach Bicknell on the message board. Most I totally disagree with. But I know most of these posts were made out of concern and disappointment, not simply for the sake of being mean. I know most of these posters, and know they mean well for Tech. Anyway, those that I do not know and don't want me to know, I give no credence to, nor should Coach Bicknell or anyone else.

There are so many important positives for Tech Athletics that have come out of this group of supporters, the criticisms are paled. If the average fan and, more importantly, the average alumni of Tech cared, supported and gave as much as the average BB&Ber, things would be much better in DAWG town, and there would have been more than 9267 in Indy Stadium Saturday.

By the way, while we are getting critical of one particular group, may I ask one question? Have you read the plan that has been put together to improve Tech Athletics?? Inquiring minds, and Tech supporters, want to know. Or, is that asking too much or being too annoying?

So, If you are in Ruston December 5, come by the BB&B tent and meet some real DAWG fans!

Red and Blue Forever,

T. G. Wilbanks, Tech Class of '66

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    Great post Oldblue. I agree with you on everything you said. I joined BB&B earlier in the year and have enjoyed it greatly. Even though I have never wavered in my devotion to Tech and I never missed a chance to see the bulldogs or techsters play on TV, I felt out of touch with tech athletics. I feel differently now and have a renewed interest in Tech. I think Watson is missing the point when he criticizes BB&B and it's posters. Every university with a big time football program has followers who care deeply about what happens. Everyone on this board who takes the time to post is concerned about the future of Tech athletics. The Tech administration and Jimmy Watson ought to be lamenting the fact that we only have 400 or so members on this board and not 4,000. And if they want to see something negative they should have gone to the LSU board a few years ago and I can only imagine what the Notre Dame board was like the last couple of years leading up to this season. I plan on e-mailing Mr. Watson but it won't contain anything for him to use in another column, at least not negatively. And, even though I question the wisdom of posting our names out for anyone to get a hold of, I will so he'll know who I am.

Tom Post
    Russellville, AR
    Class of 79.

Puppy dnewman is an unknown
    I read Jimmy Watson's article in the pregame without editorial comment about the column. I added this: "There are 2 things we all can do now to support Tech. 1) Send a check to the athletic department, and 2) be at every Tech event possible, specifically the Fresno game." Regardless of what Ed Hebert said in his post, I (nor Dave) commented about the validity of Jimmy Watson's editorial. My preface to reading the article was, "for those of you who were unable to read Jimmy Watson's article in today's THE TIMES, here it is, and I quote...." I'm miffed by Ed's comments on this board, and by Dwayne's comments about me. For all of you who care, let me address my ONLY concerns about BB&B and why I have chosen to stop posting (until today) and seldom reading the board.

Few posting here realize the power of what is posted and the results they bring. Having the ability to do so with no accountability often leads to untruthful, hurtful, outbursts based totally on emotion, not fact -- something those that do so claim is a right under The Constitution. Many of these are the same people who lambast Jimmy Watson for writing an editorial doing just that: expressing his opinion. However, Watson wrote the editorial and signed his name. I haven't talked to him, but I guarantee he's willing to take any flak associated with the column. In simple defense of Watson, he's THE TIMES writer who has obviously supported Tech athletics in noticeable fashion. He's a Tech alum -- a journalism graduate -- is married to a Tech alum, and supports Tech in many ways, and always has.

Some of you know that I spent 2 weeks on the west coast (on my Harley) before, during, and after the San Jose and Boise games. I spent 5 days in the home of a close personal friend (who is a Tech graduate and whose wife is also) who happens to have a son who is a highschool junior who Tech is recruting at defensive back/running back. (I'd give their last name, but that would be a recruiting violation. His father played at Tech) In the 2 playoff games this kid played while I was there, he intercepted 3 passes, returned 1 for a TD, caught another pass for a TD. He's a sharp kid who BLEEDS Tech: WAC conference championship shirts, hats, Tech memorabilia in his room etc. The 3rd morning I was there, I walked into his dad's study where he was on the computer. He asked me, "why do these people hate Tech athletic administration and coaches so much?" I looked over his shoulder, and he was on BB&B. He told me they BOTH read it daily.

I really didn't know how to respond. Here's a kid who went to Fresno's camp this year, who LSU is HEAVILY after (I read their letters to him while there), and who JBIII spent a few moments with on the field prior to the San Jose State game. And he asked me why BB&B 'ers hate Tech so much. I KNOW that BB&B 'ers don't hate Tech! But his PERCEPTION from what he reads daily on this board resulted in his question to me. You sales guys know this: as far as the public is concerned, "perception IS reality."

I don't think many of you understand how damaging some of what is said here is to potential recruits and their families. Think about it: if your son was considering an education at Tech, wouldn't you find and read the board frequently to see what's going on? Wouldn't you be a bit concerned to read some of the stuff posted on our board?

Is this a vote to block free speech? Not at all. But I still maintain if we all would post under our own names, most of the unresponsible posts would cease. Don't read anything extra into what I just said. That does not mean that I think people should not post negative thoughts or should fall in line with Tech administration or anyone else, but simply become more responsible about what is said. If that should occur, I guarantee that most would think through what is posted prior to "letting it fly." That is my only beef with this board. And I expressed it to Dwayne at the Friday luncheon. I'm sorry Dwayne chose to post in another thread that "Dan Newman feels like he's not one of us." I am a member of this board, have supported it for years, and will continue to do so. And I appreciate all that BB&B 'ers do for Tech athletics.

In this thread, Dave Nitz and I both were quoted as blasting BB&B Saturday, Dave saying "Here, Here," supposedly in agreement with my "blasting" of the board with reading Watson's column. What actually occurred was that after reading the article, I stated the 2 things that everyone could do to help Tech athletics: send a check and support Tech events. Dave "here, here'd" MY statement, not the column. Neither of us attacked this board, regardless of what has been said. Nobody in their right mind should EVER question Dave Nitz's total support of Tech.

I find it sad that DONW should choose to discuss me personally in his post here. His charge that I have a HUGE ego may be true..I do have shortcomings. If he knew me personally and was around me on a personal basis, he would understand this: I AM very successful. But I publically and privately have ALWAYS been careful to give credit for my company's success to the unbelievable management staff I have. I have ideas -- they implement those on a scale I could never dream of achieving on my own. And should Jim Oakes and/or Dr. Reneau choose to remove me from my volunteer position on the Tech radio team, I will continue to support Tech -- both financially and personally -- just as I did for many years prior to joining Dave on the air. I, too, bleed Tech. And, DONW, Big Mick -- a CLOSE personal friend of mine -- would be phenomenal on the air.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Dan,
    If you did not endorse the article which was very critical of BB&B, why did you read it on the pregame show? It had nothing to do with the pregame show and it was a direct attack on this board and its members. Maybe you can tell in your pregame show before the Fresno game, how much BB&B does for Tech athletics. This board is the only source of information for fans like me that live 200 miles from Ruston in another state. I do not understand how the potential recruit thinks members of this board hate Tech. We are very unhappy with the way the season has gone. Would you not agree that with 17 starters coming back from last year's team, that this has to be the most disappointing season you have ever seen? This was not a rebuilding year.
    Don White
    Class of 1970
    Conway,Ar.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    This has definitely been the most disappointing season I have witnessed (even 1979).

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    Dan,
    How on Earth can anyone gather that the people on this forum hate Tech? LBP hates everyone and everything, so he doesn't count.

Are many critical of the coaches and administration? Yes and we have every right to be. We are the consumer and we have every right to bitch if we aren't happy. We aren't happy!

I didn't hear your comments before the game, but If you weren't negative toward us in the pre-game, then why did you mention that you were probably getting lots of Hate E-mail from us during the post game?

Thanks for all you do Dan, but you screwed up for reading that...Just admit it. Don't be like our Coach and live in denial.

Watson's writing was NOT an article...it was a column. A column is an editorial, it was HIS opinion.

That particular portion of the pregame is the portion in which (prior to introducing both teams' starting lineups) I make my editorial comments about the season, the team, the conference, that particular game, etc. I felt that the listening audience who were unable to read THE TIMES should have the opportunity to hear his column, and so I read it. DONW, you should know that if I wanted to endorse his column, I would have plainly stated so. I'm pretty plain spoken. But I give all Tech supporters credit for having the ability to hear (or read) ANY column about Tech or anything associated with Tech and formulate their own educated opinions. They don't need my "endorsement" or my guidance in their consideration.

And I DO know there are a large number of Tech supporters that are involved with BB&B and support it in every way who share concerns that with all the good BB&B has accomplished, there is damage being done by the irresponsible posting that occurs from time to time. In my opinion, it was that segment of BB&B that Watson's column was directed at. (Once again, let me state that I have not talked to Jimmy since the luncheon on Friday and not at all about his column, therefore this is simply my opinion)

Don, try to objectively consider for a moment that maybe Watson was correct in his column. What if the negative, irresponsible posts ARE really hurting Tech in some way. Don't you think we BB&B 'ers should think it through and reconsider some of our methodology? Don't you agree that the ability to post anonymously allows everyone the opportunity to irresponsibly state things as fact when they really are not? Don't you see how recruits who are excited about coming to Tech would be taken aback when reading some of the repeated attacks on Tech's athletic administration and coaching staff and they and their parents would re-think a career at Tech?

I never want us to lose the right to express our opinions, and have stated that over and over again. All I want to see change is that we all take responsibility for what we say, and that we all understand we are accountable to verify what we represent as facts.

Yeah, I'm frustrated at a 5 and 7 season, asssuming we beat Fresno. But do you realize that without 3 plays at the end of 3 games last season, instead of 7-5, we're 4 and 7 and at home instead of Boise? If that had happened, maybe our 2002 expectations wouldn't have been so high. Additionally, we lost John Simon and Delwyne Daigre, and thought we could replace them easily. That hasn't occurred. We lost 3 starters in our secondary who had 19 interceptions last year. It's not just that there were 17 starters returning. I didn't realize how good some of the players were that we lost.

I'm not an apologist. And I don't think there are not mistakes made by the coaching staff. I'm a realist. It's one thing to be disappointed and upset, and another thing to demand a wholesale coaching staff bloodletting. I'm pretty sure Frank Beamer will be back at Virginia Tech next year even though his expectations prior to the season were a national championship appearance. Examples like that are rampant in DI EVERY year.

It's not Jack Bicknell's team....nor Conroy Hines', nor Ed Jackson's, nor anyone else's but MINE and YOURS! Someday they'll probably all be gone, and we'll STILL get disappointed by losses and under-achieving and running the ball instead of passing and passing instead of running and throwing a screen instead of going deep...etc. But the players will still be the Dawgs....and so will we!

LBP has been banned from the board. He would not take mine or Dwayne's advice, so he paid the consequences. But, do not confuse his loyalty to Tech with his post. I wish every Tech student would attend as many football and basketball games as he did in his 5 years at Tech. He only wanted the coaches to make changes at one of the positions but was not too diplomatic in the way he said it. He only wanted to see another player get a chance to play as many of us did.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Dan, editorials should appear on the editorial page. Not the front page. Maybe Jimmy Watson had the best interest of Tech at heart when he wrote it. I have no doubt that you and Dave do. You've both shown that time and time again. You are both underpaid (very much in your case) for the jobs you do. That is not the issue here. I don't think you handled yourself well when commenting on the editorial. Mentioning DFM on the air in conjunction with the editorial was WAY out of line. No, I did not hear it because I was at the game, but I've had two people who did hear it and know I'm involved with BBB who asked me first thing this morning who this DFM guy was. As I have stated, I don't expect an "on air" retraction, but eating a little crow here on the board would be nice. Thanks for all you do.
    Monty Hogg
    West Monroe

Your comments about LPB are wrong....he DOES count...at least to outside folks who read this forum. A recruit has no idea who LPB is (LPB posted anonymously remember) or what position he holds. How could anyone possible feel that ANY venom spewed on this board should not be viewed by a recruit as from a perspective of "hating Tech?" LPB is gone now, but we cannot undue any damage he may have done on outsiders' perspective of Tech and its supporters.

There are 2 reasons I said what I did in the postgame: 1) I KNEW that there would be those BB&B 'ers who would automatically perceive my comments as an attack and would therefore "retaliate;" (Obviously I wasn't wrong about that one!) 2) I KNEW that MANY BB&B 'ers, even though they had not heard exactly what I said, would infer whatever they wanted to and would then attack me.

The fact that I KNEW these things is an indication of what I feel is wrong with our board. I shouldn't have to justify to anyone on this board my commitment to Tech through the years. But to some here IT MATTERS NOT WHAT THE TRUTH REALLY IS! Emotionally they post whatever with no regard for anyone who reads.

Yes, everyone has the right to express opinions. But they should each take responsibility for those opinions.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    Dan,

It is very difficult for me to respond to a lot of this. First, because of my position as one of the administrators of this site, I, and the other administrators, feel we should set an example for this board. If we openly express some of our opinions, it would be taken by the rest of the members as a green light to open up themselves. Second, because, unlike SOME of the INDIVIDUALS on this board, I "reign in" a lot of my comments for the advancement of Tech and Bulldog Barks & Bytes. I am making these comments INDIVIDUALLY without consulting with the rest of the admins, so take them as the voice of JUST ONE supporter of Louisiana Tech.

There are two issues here. First is the column written by Jimmy Watson. Second, the comments made in the pregame show by yourself. The two, in my mind, are mutually exclusive.

Jimmy's column should be addressed TO JIMMY and should be related to his comments contained therein. My problem with that article are multifold. But, my biggest problem with it is his blanket statements directed toward this site based upon the actions of particular individuals. BB&B is more than just one person or one group of people. We are here not to set agendias, apply pressure on the Tech administration, or administer the athletic program of Louisiana Tech University. Our mission is very clear. We are completely and totally dedicated to the promotion and advancement of Tech athletics by reaching out to casual fans and providing them a forum to gather information concerning Tech and interact with other passionate Tech fans. It is our belief that when casual fans become informed and involved on a regular basis with Tech through the means stated that they will become supporters of Tech through season ticket sales, Champs donations, and advertisement. This model has proven successful in the past and continues to prove successful even today. Also, Jimmy points his article to a site of 430+ registered members of which only a handfull have spoken out in the manner he described. He does nothing to address the 22,000+ attendence difference between the Ok. St. game and UTEP. But those are issues to be taken up with Jimmy, not yourself.

Now the other issue is related to your comments concerning that article and the comment at the end of the broadcast.

BB&B is a sponsor of Tech athletics in many ways and have proven, and continue to prove, that we support Tech athletics, the sponsors of Tech athletics, and the programs of Tech athletics. What the individuals associated with this site have done is VERY WELL documented. And this is above and beyond the individual donations that people make in their own name rather than that of BB&B. We have gone to great pains to change the image of BB&B in the eyes of the media, the Tech administration, and those associated with Tech athletics. We believe we have made great strides in that area. We have reached out to the media by reprinting their articles here with direct links to the stories getting them broader coverage. We have posted lists of the supporters of Tech and have encouraged our members to support them with their business. We have contacted the Tech administration to ensure them that the views expressed by some on this board DO NOT represent the views of BB&B as an entity. We will be adding links to the new Champs online donation system here in VERY short order as well.

Dan, I am personally troubled not by WHAT you said but HOW you said it. And, in addition, what you did NOT say. You have an obvious issue with individuals who post negative comments without telling who they are. I have problems with this as well. I believe that if an individual has a problem or an issue, they should be willing to put their name with it. And, I'll add, they should bring it up with the administration of Tech! Their e-mail addresses are available for all to use. But the answer is NOT for the administrators of BB&B to REQUIRE a user input their real name in their profile and publicly display that with every post they make. Such a policy would doom this site to failure! As you saw today when you registered, you have the OPTION of including your real name. When that option was made available, the members of this board VOTED to have that displayed ONLY on their user profile. If you want to see who they are, open their profile. In addition, ALL users are REQUIRED to provide valid e-mail addresses where anyone can contact them concerning their comments.

If you want to call those people out, call them out. But do it SPECIFICALLY. PLEASE, DO NOT make blanket statements about BB&B based upon these individuals.

As far as what you did NOT say, where did you mention the positive that comes from this site? Where was the appreciation for our sponsorship of your broadcast? Where was the "go to www.latechbbb.com to respond . . ."? The more POSITIVE posters we have register and get involved here, the less you will hear of the rest because they will be outnumbered! We are asking for support to make things better for Tech, and when individuals with the audience of Jimmy Watson and yourself make blanket comments like what were made, we lose credibility to advance Tech athletics. It was not handled in the correct manner in terms of positive results for Tech.

If you have suggestions on ways to make this site better, PLEASE let us know!!! We have ALWAYS been VERY accessable and respond very quickly! BB&B is evolving and we want people to be a part of it.

Dan, even in light of all the comments that have been made, BB&B and it's members REMAIN committed to the growth and advancement of Tech athletics. We may be vocal at times, but that is due to our passion for success.

We hope that positive will come from this. That members will think about their comments before they make them. But there will always be some who will not. We will not dictate to them what can and can not be said. If their comments hold merit, those who are informed on this site will support them. If they are not, they will be told so by those who do not agree. This site can be VERY TAME compared to most other fan message boards for other schools.

TDF (Chris Bullock)

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Thank you Chris -

I KNOW I couldn't have said it that good...

+ Reply to Thread