+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA asst AD conversation

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future
    At the LSU-South Alabama BB game tonight I had a nice conversation with the USA asst. AD He said he expects conference realignment soon. The main driver is travel costs. When C-USA added some far west teams, his travel costs went up $160,000. He predicted the Sunbelt and WAC would both swap east/west teams and then re-form. He also thought Tulane would be in the new E-wac or what ever it is called. I told him I didn't think Tulane would ever agree to be in a conference with Tech. He said he heard the same thing about Tulane and ULL, but still thought it would happen.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG
    When C-USA added some far west teams.
    You mean sunbelt?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    This has been a rumor floating around on the Internet for a while now but I see one MAJOR roadblock to the whole thing.

Denver, UALR, UNO, USA, WKU and FIU

NONE of them play 1-A football. If swapping is done the conference would end up as

Louisiana Tech, SMU, Rice, Tulsa
    Tulane, ULL, ASU, UNT, MTSU
    possibly ULM, possibly UTEP (may be in western conference)
    and UALR, UNO, USA, WKU and FIU

the better alternative would be (provided Tulane has interest as specified earlier) ....

Louisiana Tech, SMU, Rice, Tulsa (include UTEP for 10)
    Tulane, ULL, ASU, UNT, MTSU

If Tulane is involved, then bets are Houston, TCU, USM and maybe UAB will also be involved ... In that case, why bother with SBC teams (or even us since we have such a hard time getting folks in the stands ...)

SMU, Rice, Tulsa, UTEP, Tulane, TCU, USM, Houston, UAB
    they would need one more for nice scheduling
    I see Tech in that scenario because of our ties to the WAC teams ... If UTEP is out then I expect ULL to be the other team because UNT would lead to oversaturation in the DFW area .. If they want 12 and a championship game then UNT and ASU are the next best bets ... IMHO ... if UTEP, not ASU ... etc etc etc ...

Now, lets say that the MWC decided to expand by 4 to make 12 teams and get a champioship game. That leaves the EWAC holding all of the WAC cards. SJSU is likely to either be cast out or move down ... In that scenario, I think a swap will not happen because the EWAC will have a very easy time getting 3 SBC schools to jump ship to form an 8 team regional conference without Denver, UALR, UNO, USA, WKU and FIU. My guess, Tech, SMU, Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, ULL, ASU and ?? other SBC team. From there courting 4 CUSA schools (Tulane, TCU, Houston, ??CUSA - USM?) to make 12 is the most sensible thing ...

bottom line is none of us have a crystal ball ... Every SBC official I have heard is spouting this "swap" possbility. Every WAC official is saying that if it is happening, they do not know about it. However, it is up to the schools and if it is happening and we are NOT in it, we are in trouble.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    You really have put a lot of thought into this. Great observations! Would you agree that whatever happens will happen during or just prior to the 2004 season? ..........because of the new guidelines and the teams that will be forced down to 1AA (which I hope we are not included in).

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    I do not think we will be in that group moving down. I think if you are able to tell folks that the Lady Techsters will suffer if Tech moves down to 1-AA, magically folks will start showing up to the football games, at least for the first quarter.

Then they can leave in order to get home in time to catch reruns of the Lawrence Welk show.

Besides, we can use some of the tactics that were attempted in Florida a few years ago to get the count up. The "attendee intent" of folks in North Louisiana is clear and they will be in the stands to keep Tech 1-A.

Actually I have thought a lot about this. My father-in-law is a Houston graduate. I think he could get interested in Houston football again if they were in a more regional conference and they played Louisiana Tech every season. Of the above, my ideal conference is a 12 team conference consisting of

Div A: UTEP, Rice, SMU, Louisiana Tech,Tulsa,ULL
    Div B: TCU, Houston, Tulane, Southern Miss, two of UAB/ASU/UNT/MTSU listed in my order of preference ...

I think this would be a GREAT football conference. Existing rivalries and quickly developed new rivalries ... Tulsa would lead the way in mens basketball (with Tech stealing the show eventually). Rice and ULL would be the baseball kings (once again with Tech eventually taking over) and this would be a surprisingly good womens basketeball conference with Houston and Tulane being added to the mix. Not to mention a conference championship game.

however, if the CUSA schools are not involved and a WAC dispersion is inevitable, I would want to see a smaller conference consisting of

UTEP, Rice, SMU, Louisiana Tech,Tulsa,ULL, ASU, UNT (this will be the tough one to get by SMU, but if survivial is what we are looking at, I think it will happen) ... To me ULM is the odd man out because of the lack of history with these schools. Tech has it with almost all of them. I think it is a matter of time before our attendance gets a boost and this is what will make it happen.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Sounds good to me. Now, back to my question...........

When do you think this could all go down? I'm predicting some type of shake up after the '04 season.

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future
    The aAD did say he expected USA and UNO to be the only non-football schools in CUSA. This goes back to the old FB v. BB debate going on in CUSA.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    You mean the Sun Belt? not CUSA?

Puppy vernon1945 is an unknown
    Isn't UNO trying to get a football program started? I had heard at one time they were looking into it.

Varsity Bulldog CYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really nice
    I think Baylor will be involved in a realignment as the Big XII is about ready to make a move with them.

Your guess is as good as mine ... 2004 sounds good to me but if the MWC is going to be the first move then it will happen when their TV contract runs out +2 years. I do not know when that is. Otherwise, definately after 2006 as that is when the axe will fall on programs not meeting the new requirements.

Interesting. I was thinking 2004 because that is the year the new requirements go in place. I'm not sure, but that would mean that any team not reaching the 15k minimum in 2004 would be OUT of 1A. I expect some type of probation period myself, but we'll have to wait and see about that.

The MAC has some teams that could be bumped down, but so do we. But.......let's look at the Belch :evil: nlulm WILL NOT make the requirements. No way, no how! They probably have others as well. I think this along with the MAC, WAC, and possibly even Conf. USA will cause a major realignment beginning in 2005.

Puppy tectonic is an unknown
    As far as who makes the cut and who doesn’t, the New York Times ran an article last Sunday on this very subject. Realistically, there are several teams that will not survive in 1A, San Jose State being one of them. Despite having a fairly good season, their attendance for the year is down to 9,101. The only school that was worse is Louisiana-Monroe with 8,762.

The ten that are in jeopardy based on this years numbers are – San Jose State, Ball State, Wyoming, Troy State, Arkansas State, Idaho, Kent State, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, and Louisiana-Monroe. Teams on the fence are – Akron, Miami of Ohio, Northern Illinois, and Louisiana-Lafayette.

ULL may make the first cut, but the only way they survive is if TECH or Tulane breathes life back into them when realignment comes around. A good 12-member conference would be – UTEP, SMU, Rice, Houston, TCU, Tulsa, TECH, Tulane, S. Miss., and either Memphis or UAB.

There are, potentially, good rivalries that could develop. It would also help if the Texas schools annually played Texas, A&M, or Texas Tech; Tulsa played OU or OSU; TECH and Tulane played LSU or Ark; S. Miss. played Ole Miss. or Miss. St.

I HEARD a RUMOR today that ULM will shortly announce that they will be playing ball at the 1-AA level soon starting in 2004. It was posted on the ULL board and the claim was that it was part of an article that ran in the New Orleans TP.

If anyone can verify this with a link, I would appreciate it ...

IF this is true, this regional conference as stated above is starting to look more like a reality ... I am telling you, our attendance issues become less of a problem if we are in a regional conference like described above ...

Puppy BULLDAWG is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    I HEARD a RUMOR today that ULM will shortly announce that they will be playing ball at the 1-AA level soon starting in 2004. It was posted on the ULL board and the claim was that it was part of an article that ran in the New Orleans TP.

If anyone can verify this with a link, I would appreciate it ...
    Irish a problem for BCS

12/02/02

Ted Lewis
    The Times-Picayune

The BCS could blow up beyond repair this week.

Or it could do the right thing.

Surprisingly enough, count on the latter.

At issue is the status of Notre Dame following the Fighting Irish's 44-13 debacle at Southern California on Saturday.

That victory advanced USC to a projected No. 4 in the penultimate BCS standings which will be released today. Assuming that holds through next week, the Trojans are guaranteed a spot in a BCS bowl as an at-large team.

That could mean USC becomes the first Pac-10 team to play in the Nokia Sugar Bowl, although if Washington State loses to UCLA on Saturday, the Trojans will be in the Rose Bowl.

And Notre Dame, previously thought to be a lock for a BCS bowl, is being looked on in a new light.

Although still BCS-eligible at No. 8 in the projected standings, the Irish would have leaped projected No. 5 Iowa for the other at-large berth, probably in the Orange Bowl, bumping the Hawkeyes out of the Rose Bowl.

Since Iowa is11-1 and actually shares the Big 10 title with Fiesta Bowl-bound Ohio State, and Notre Dame is 10-2 and coming off a miserable showing, one can only imagine the cries of injustice should that happen.

"You'd have a firestorm," said one BCS bowl official who requested anonymity. "It would be ludicrous to think that the conferences and ABC would let that happen."

Still, the possibility is there.

"Notre Dame is not out of our loop," said Orange Bowl spokesman Joe Hornstein. "But after this past weekend, our loop looks a little different.

"We just have to let things play out."

That's because the BCS lineup is still far from set. In fact, of the eight berths in the four BCS bowls, only Ohio State in the Fiesta is a certainty.

"I've tried drawing up all the scenarios I could think of, and my head hurts," said BCS guru Jerry Palm. "There are just too many variables still at play."

They start with Miami having to defeat Virginia Tech on Saturday to lock up its spot in the Fiesta Bowl for the national championship and Washington State getting past UCLA.

If that happens, the Orange Bowl would have first choice among the available teams -- ACC champion Florida State, Southern Cal, Notre Dame or the Big 12 champion, to fill the vacancy created by losing Big East champ Miami to the Fiesta.

The Orange has been eyeing Notre Dame, but now would seem to be more likely to pick the Big 12 champion, Oklahoma or Colorado.

The Rose would have the next pick and would scoop up Iowa to maintain the Big 10-Pac 10 integrity of that game.

That would leave the Sugar with the SEC champion, Saturday's Georgia-Arkansas winner, against Southern Cal, and Florida State, previously slotted for the Sugar, would go to the Orange Bowl.

The thought of having the Trojans is not unpleasing to the Sugar Bowl. USC brings a hot team that has never been here. If there are less Trojan fans who make the trip than those who would come from Florida State, the number of hotel nights would be about the same.

Plus, good ticket sales and hotel nights are already assured from either Georgia or Arkansas.

The other variables are not as attractive.

If Miami wins and Washington State loses, we'd be back to Georgia-Arkansas vs. Florida State with Notre Dame meeting the Colorado-Oklahoma winner in the Orange. At least Florida State doesn't look quite as unattractive after upsetting Florida on Saturday. Still, the Seminoles would match the 1945 Alabama team as the only four-loss team to play in the Sugar Bowl.

And if Miami loses and Georgia wins to advance to the Fiesta Bowl, it would be Florida State against the Oklahoma-Colorado winner.

And beyond that....

Well, as the man said, just let things play themselves out.

THE LIST

Heisman watch: November/December edition

1. Willis McGahee, RB, Miami

Only a sophomore, McGahee has been at his best in the big games -- witness his two game-breaking touchdown runs in Saturday's rout of Syracuse. If the Hurricanes beat Virginia Tech this Saturday to move on to the Fiesta Bowl, count on McGahee playing a major role and influencing last-minute voters.

2. Brad Banks, QB, Iowa

The Hawkeyes haven't played since Nov. 16, but voters shouldn't forget how responsible Banks is for his team's 11-1 record and share of the Big 10 championship. Banks' passing yardage isn't that gaudy, 2,369 yards, but with 25 touchdown passes and only four interceptions, he is the nation's passing efficiency leader. Banks has also scored five rushing touchdowns.

3. Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State

Critics point out that he averaged only 71 yards in the Nittany Lions' four biggest games. But his per-carry average of 8.2 is the most for any back who ever gained 2,000 yards in a season. Johnson's 20 touchdowns also shows his eye for the end zone.

4. Carson Palmer, QB, Southern Cal

Palmer's 254-yard, four-touchdown performance in prime time against Notre Dame has him moving up the charts. He has 3,214 yards with 28 touchdowns against eight interceptions and his team has been as good as anyone outside Miami for the past six weeks.

5. Ken Dorsey, QB, Miami

There have been others who have won the Heisman for their careers, so Dorsey, 34-1 as a starter, will get a trip to the ceremony. His teammates also call him their MVP. But the numbers, 2,768 yards, 24 touchdownss and nine interceptions, are not overwhelming.

COTTON BOWL BOUND?

Despite its loss to Arkansas on Friday, LSU still appears to be the first choice to meet Texas in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

The Tigers haven't played in the Cotton Bowl since the 1965 season and LSU fans already have conditionally purchased 10,000 tickets for the game.

While the final SEC bowl assignments won't be determined until after Saturday's conference championship game between Georgia and Arkansas, indications are the loser of that game will wind up in the Capitol One (formerly Citrus) Bowl with Florida going to the Outback.

The rest of the SEC lineup looks like Tennessee in the Peach Bowl, Auburn in the Music City and Ole Miss in the Independence.

HAWAII BOWL BOUND?

Could there be such a thing as reluctantly going to Hawaii?

Tulane could be.

Unless Cincinnati loses at East Carolina on Friday, the Green Wave appears destined for the Hawaii Bowl on Christmas Day to play Hawaii with the Bearcats coming to the New Orleans Bowl for a Dec. 17 date against North Texas.

Indications are that the GMAC Bowl in Mobile, which has second pick of Conference USA bowl teams, will select Louisville today with the Houston Bowl taking Southern Mississippi. That leaves Tulane and Cincinnati, which must defeat East Carolina to become bowl eligible. However, since the Bearcats played at Hawaii just last weekend (ending the game in a brawl with the Rainbow Warriors), the Green Wave would fill C-USA's bowl obligation to Hawaii and leave Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl.

If Cincinnati loses though, Tulane will be in the New Orleans Bowl and South Florida will travel to the Hawaii Bowl.

A trip to Hawaii would be a break-even proposition for Tulane at best, even though Conference USA would pick up part of the bill. A stay-at-home New Orleans Bowl not only would be profitable for the Green Wave, but would be an excellent chance to promote the program locally. Tulane athletic director Rick Dickson has said he was hoping that the Wave would wind up in one of the three Gulf Coast bowl games.

"There are a lot of costs involved in going to Hawaii, not to mention it being an expensive proposition for our fans," Dickson said. "But going to Hawaii is a great reward to our team for the season it's had."

EXTRA POINTS

LSU dropped out of the Associated Press Top 25 for the first time this season, finishing 26th, 95 points behind Pittsburgh. The Tigers did manage to gain the No. 25 spot in the USA Today/ESPN rankings. . . . Miami coach Larry Coker said he plans to call Syracuse coach Paul Pasqualoni to apologize for the faked punt with six minutes left that turned into a touchdown late in the Hurricanes' 49-7 victory. Coker said it was the result of his punter reacting by reflex when he thought the kick was in danger of being blocked. . . . Nebraska's closing 28-13 loss to Colorado meant that the Cornhuskers finished with a losing record in conference play for the first time since 1968 when they went 3-4 in the Big 8. . . . With the program's future in doubt because of its forced exit from the Big East after 2004, Temple may sign up to 20 junior college players. Owls coach Bobby Wallace said he did not think it was right to recruit high school players when he could not tell them where the program would be in two years. . . . Despite a second consecutive last-place finish in the SEC West and a five-game losing streak to end the season, don't look for Mississippi State to part company with Jackie Sherrill. Sherrill still has three years on his contract, and a buyout in excess of $2 million is more than the folks in Starkville are willing to part with. Do look for State and Ole Miss to extend their contract with ESPN to air the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving night. MSU athletic director Larry Templeton said it's 95 percent certain that deal would be done. . . . Word out of Monroe is that ULM will soon announce that it is returning to Division I-AA after 2004 when new NCAA attendance standards take effect. The Indians were last in I-A this year with an average of 8,470 per game. The I-A mandate of 15,000 takes effect in 2005. . . . John Gagliardi of St. John's (Minn.) gained his 399th career victory Saturday when his team defeated Coe, 45-14, in the Division III playoffs. Gagliardi is nine victories shy of tying Grambling's Eddie Robinson for the all-class record.

COACH'S CORNER

"Any time you lose a game by that score, it stinks," embattled Texas A&M coach R.C. Slocum following the Aggies' 50-20 loss to Texas.

+ Reply to Thread