+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evangel's Duron Stadium?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    How big is it, and where is it located?

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt...et+Map=Get+Map

Here is the link to the Yahoo! Map.

5720 Buncombe Road
    Shreveport, Louisiana

I don't know how big it is.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Not very big, unless they've added seats since I last went to an Evangel game (fall of 1996). It seats about 3,200 comfortably (just a guesstimate) Wouldn't be surprised if they move the Evangel/Rummel game to Hedges Stadium or Indy Stadium. If Byrd had won, an all-Shreveport semi-final would definitely be at Indy Stadium. Can't say I'm sorry Byrd lost though, one of my roommates and close friend from LSU is a Rummel grad, and he is hardcore Red Raider. But my cousin went to Evangel, so I've got to choose between family and friends here.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    3,200? There were more Rummel fans than that this past Friday. But, speaking with several Rummel fans, they were guessing there'll be fewer for Evangel, since many had this past Friday off, or took a vacation day as part of the holiday. Not sure how many will do that again for this Friday's trip.

Safest bet is to move the game to Hedges. But I'm guessing Evangel wants the ultimate home field advantage.

By the way, Rummel's nickname is NOT the Red Raiders. It is just Raiders, with the official mascot Rufus Raider, a Confederate cavalryman. Although, in keeping with the PC crowd, you don't see that aspect too much anymore.

Of course LSU's real nickname "Tigers" came from the famous Louisiana Tigers, a Confederate battalion fighting in Virginia. You don't see that angle played up anymore either.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg80
    By the way, Rummel's nickname is NOT the Red Raiders. It is just Raiders, with the official mascot Rufus Raider, a Confederate cavalryman. Although, in keeping with the PC crowd, you don't see that aspect too much anymore.
    That's interesting. I wonder when they started being called the Red Raiders. I can remember in high school in the 80's them being called the Red Raiders.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg80
    Of course LSU's real nickname "Tigers" came from the famous Louisiana Tigers, a Confederate battalion fighting in Virginia. You don't see that angle played up anymore either.
    You are somewhat right on this Dawg80. It gets a brief (two paragraph) mention in our about 75 page program. And boy, the PC crowd down here gets really huffy every year when KA hauls out the purple-and-gold Confederate flag to hang from their balcony. Of course, this is small potatoes compared to the controversy that raged a few years back when the PC liberal crowd at Ole Miss was trying to get the Confederate flag banned at football games. Of course, they will never totally eliminate it, but you don't see near as many Rebel flags at Ole Miss games as you used to, and the stadium crews don't pass them out anymore is what I've heard.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Guys - I believe that Duron under went an expansion and seats close to 6,000 or more since 1999...

I do know that they SOLD PSL's at $1,000 a pop to finance the expansion and one side is totally chairbacks -

Very nice facility but NO parking - get there early...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Rufous means red or at least a brownish red as rufus in Latin. Compare it to russet, also derived from similar Latin root words or from Old French rousset from rous (red) from Latin russus. Also compare to rouge and roux from rous.
    It is reasonable that a Louisiana team would be rufous raiders. Some birds with reddish-brown heads include rufus in their Latin names.

+ Reply to Thread