+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not a good day for a Republican Dawg

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Boy was I ever wrong! Lee loses by 518 votes. I just can't figure that one. I've never been more wrong about an election

Looks like ML will win the Senate race. I was wrong there about turnout. It was obviously much higher than expected.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Yep - quite a disappointing day!

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Several factors had to come together for this to happen. I think this will be exposed in the coming days.

1. Black turnout was much higher than expected, and, of course, 90% of it went to Landrieu and Alexander.

2. John Breaux literally carried Landrieu on his back in the Acadiana region.

3. Turnout and Fletcher votes in Rapides Parish and central Louisiana were low, no thanks to a bitter Clyde Holloway.

4. Alexander probably carried Jackson and Winn parishes by wide margins and at least broke even in Lincoln Parish.

5. Republican factionalism in the 5th District by Cooksey and Fletcher opponents (Holloway chief among them) hurt turnout in both races for the GOP.

6. Too many NRA members were in the woods hunting instead of at the polls voting.

All in all, an embarassment for the state. Not the first time Louisiana has defied the progress of the rest of America and stuck to it's own backward ways. And certainly not the last. When will we finally get with it?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    The Orleans Parish count:

Mary Landrieu - 105,780

Suzanne Haik Terrell - 26,880

New Orleans determines our statewide elections. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Good summary Jet. I agree on every point, but I just didn't expect Lee to lose that much of the Repulican vote. I was expecting a 10% win for Fletcher. I have lost all respect for Holloway. He put personal and childish feelings and unfounded allegations ahead of the district.

Interesting numbers Sooner. I'd never seen that before. I've always heard that south of I-10 mattered the most, but had no idea about Orleans parish.

Guys we had a weak candidate. Cooksey would have been weak too. Jenkins was weak last time. Until we get on the same page as a party here in this state we will never have the right person running for Senate. This open primary thing is killing us. If Mississippi can have two GOP senators we should be able to also.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game
    Don't be too disappointed in Rodney's win. He's a Christian, a business owner, a member of the NRA, a pro-life advocate, a family man with three children, a veteran, and he's a LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY graduate.

I think you will find that Rodney is going to be a supporter of most of the President's agenda.

P.S. His wife headed up the Continuing Education department at Tech before taking a sabitacal to help her husband run for the House seat.
    ________
    Gay kissing
    Last edited by dawg88; 05-04-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    The Orleans Parish count:

Mary Landrieu - 105,780

Suzanne Haik Terrell - 26,880

New Orleans determines our statewide elections. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think.
    Sooner is right. Although it is possible to win a statewide election while losing New Orleans, that margin of victory would spell doom for any candidate.

Here is the way to win Louisiana while losing New Orleans.

Carry every other major metro area (Baton Rouge, Shreveport/Bossier, Monroe/Ouachita, Alexandria/Rapides, Lafayette/Lake Charles) in the state.

If you can't do that, carry at least half of them and dominate in the rural areas.

If that doesn't work, it's time to pack it in.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg88
    Don't be too disappointed in Rodney's win. He's a Christian, a business owner, a member of the NRA, a pro-life advocate, a family man with three children, a veteran, and he's a LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY graduate.

I think you will find that Rodney is going to be a supporter of most of the President's agenda.

P.S. His wife headed up the Continuing Education department at Tech before taking a sabitacal to help her husband run for the House seat.
    Of course. I'm not worried at all about Rodney hooking up with Nancy Pelosi to legalize gay marriage, distribute condoms and RU-486 in our public schools, ban all guns, and revoke tax-exempt status for churches. If he votes for any of these things, he's toast in 2004, and he knows it.

What I am worried about is his penchant for higher taxes (he never met a new tax he didn't like while serving in the State House) and his ability to bring in federal money for new projects in Northeast Louisiana while being in the minority party. That will be tough. One project I am particularly concerned about is the four-laning of U.S. 167 from Alexandria to the Arkansas line. This project is very important to Jackson and Lincoln parishes. So far the state has had to pay the lion's share of expenses for this project. Will Rodney be able to get the federal funding to kick construction into high gear? We will see. I'll give him a chance though, and if he does a good job, I might hold my nose and vote for him in '04.

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game
    I'm with you on Hwy. 167, but unfortunately I believe the Baton Rouge politicians don't thimk it's much of a priority. I was disappointed we could not get more work done on Hwy 167 when Ewing was president of the Senate. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Hwy. 167 that bypassed all of the small towns!
    ________
    The cigar boss
    Last edited by dawg88; 05-04-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg88

But still a Democrat - and definitely not what I want up in Washington. Most of the President's agenda is not good enough. I don't put the House of Representatives and near the position as the Senate though. The Senate has just roadblocked judicial nominations to the point that noone has gotten appointed -or even a fair look from the entire Senate. Glad its still Republican, but sure wish we'd have sent one more to help the cause!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    "Of course. I'm not worried at all about Rodney hooking up with Nancy Pelosi to legalize gay marriage, distribute condoms and RU-486 in our public schools, ban all guns, and revoke tax-exempt status for churches. If he votes for any of these things, he's toast in 2004, and he knows it."

I think that was supposed to be funny! Are there people who believe that is on the agenda of some Democratic candidates?

Who is Nancy Pelosi?
    Is the concern about condoms a fear that some kid would start having sex sooner because condoms are available? Or is it a fear that kids who are already having sex might get condoms and avoid some of the serious consequences? Has there been talk of distributing RU-486 in schools?
    I am sorry but I can't stop laughing. I hope that was a sarcastic joke and intended to get a laugh.
    When you reach my age you'll realize that most politicians don't make a great deal of difference and that the best thing that can happen is that we keep balance and thus stability in our government.
    It is the middle ground that must be protected. Extremists of any sort in total power would destroy the American system.
    It sounds as though Louisiana has elected some decent people. It certainly hasn't always been that way in the past.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar
    Rodney Alexander doesn't sound like to bad a guy. I like the fact he's a Tech grad, that says alot.

The New Orleans vote was surprising to me. Doesn't the north La. area of Shreveport/Bossier over to Ruston to Monroe/ West Monroe counter this vote somewhat or is it to split to offset the Orleans vote? Sounds to me like the republican party in La. needs to work together to win some statewide elections. Seems like an awful lot of fighting going on between some factions.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Aub, I think both Breaux and Landrieu are "decent people." I have met both of them, spoken with them, and worked with each on different issues. I probably will again! They are our senators, so to get something done, you have to work with them.

But, that's not the point, really. The point is the national Democratic Party, and people like Gephart and Dashel. And when Louisiana keeps two senators in the donkey party, it helps keep assholes like Gephart and Dashel too close to power, or in it! as has been the case recently.

Several key points:

1. the national Demo Party built and maintains its power by forcing people to become dependent on the federal hand-outs. You have only to look at blacks, to see what it has done TO them, not FOR them.

2. the national Demo Party is built on special interests' groups, and to placate them, and to get their votes, the Demo Party prostitutes itself to morons who contribute nothing to the betterment of society.

3. the national Demo Party, has in its party platform, support for and the endorsement of abortion, a.k.a. murder. God's 5th Commandment states "Thou Shall Not Kill." It does NOT then list exceptions to that rule.

So, it is fairly simple.

Nancy Pelosi is the new house minority leader - a real live California SERIOUS liberal - and she does favor all or most of that stuff at some level! She's from the San Francisco area. And, I hope she tries to push some of those obnoxious proposals to us - to help us realize we don't want it!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    BB&B is extremely slow. No one has commented on the Heisman. No one has commented on the Techsters' victory. No one has commented on the Junction Boys. There is nothing new on the flamers' board.
    And it is difficult to think of something new to stir the pot on the political board. I have to try the same threads, I guess.

80, where is the platform of the Democratic party endorsing abortion published? I am not asking referral to a Republican site INTERPRETING the Democratic platform but to a platform directly from the Democratic party.
    Advocating a woman's right to choose is NOT advocating abortion.

If a school nurse learns a teen is having sex, what should she do, call the cops? Pray over the kid? Explain to the kid that, because she learned to go without after her third child was born and her husband divorced her, that the kid should just give it up now and that it really isn't difficult?

Wouldn't it be criminal for a school nurse to knowingly FAIL to offer birth-control advice to a teen ALREADY involved in sexual activity?

80, if your daughter, despite a wonderful upbringing should be raped and impregnated, would you try to force her to carry the child of an anonymous sperm donor to full term?
    If the police were called to arrest her, the nurses and the doctor who performed her abortion would you defend her right to choose?
    I suppose I could bring up the current threats of government intrusion for national security reasons and ask how that fits with conservative, Christian philosophy as well. How much government intrusion will a conservative Christian accept? Now there is a topic not yet addressed on this board, I think.
    Take time to compose your thoughts on these questions. I want to read some reasoned discussion.
    Signed: Bored in Arkansas.

+ Reply to Thread