Coach Groseclose was one of the best track & field coaches ever to work in Louisiana. His NLU track teams were both talented and exciting to watch. His record speakes for itself. He would start out in Abilene, Texas and recruit athletes all the way back to Monroe that had average to above average talent and make winners out of them. Yes, he had his share of great ones also, but most were the third, fourth, fifth and sixth place finishers in their events at the state meets. He was a great motivator and could get the most out of his athletes when it counted the most---the conference meet. In the spring of 1970, I had the honor of serving as a graduate assistant for Coach Bob Hayes and the McNeese track program while getting my Masters Degree in Education. We had a great track team. In February of that year we beat Northeast and few other teams at the White Oak, Texas Invitational Track Meet by a large margin. But, in April, at the GSC conference meet in Lafayette, Northeast won the meet. That is one example of how he coached. He had great patients in bringing his athletes along slow and easy during the season and having them ready to win when it counted.

Coach Grose, as most called him, was one of the funniest men in the world. He could tell a joke better than any and could entertain you over a meal or a drink---he controlled the conversation with much humor and wit. A chain smoker, one after another, as he talked.

I learned every thing that I know about track & field from Bob Hayes, Jimmy Mize, Jerry Dyes and Bob Groseclose and thier great athletes. I have been truly blessed by those men and owe everything that I have accomplished in coaching high school track to them. Bob Groseclose will be truly missed in the world of track and field.