+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tim McCarver comments last nite -

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    During the Cards/Giants game in the bottom of the 9th -

After Marrero (sp?) led off with a walk, and Edmonds came within a foot or so of hitting a monster blast that could have brought the score to 9-8 with no outs he commented -

"Edmonds needs to draw a walk, a homerun at this time does your team no good - there is just too much personal at bats in the game today"

In my book only an idiot would trade 9-6 with two on and no outs for 9-8 with no one on and no outs, the next batter is the tying run -

Did anyone else find these comments ridiculous?

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar
    I'm confused.

From what you are saying, that guy agrees with you. It sounds like he was advocating walking Edmonds, thus putting two on with no outs and 9-6.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    McCarver was saying Edmonds should stand up there and draw the walk to bring the tying run to the plate and a homerun would do nothing for you at the moment - you have runners at 1st and 2nd with no outs and the next batter is just as likely to hit into a DP as he is a HR...

My point is that a HR at that moment makes the game 9-8 with no outs and brings the tying run to the plate - and with Edmonds has the ability to go deep against Nen and if you hit Nen hard once he tends to fall apart...

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar
    oooohhhhh.....I see what you're saying now.

Absolutely, if you have a chance to hit a two run dong while down by three, you take it. BUT, chances are there is no way Edmonds would see another pitch like the one he had just nearly taken yard. The chances of hitting two homeruns in the same at bat are statistically pretty low. So then, priority one becomes getting himself on base, putting a man in scoring position with no outs. A good team will virtually always be able to manufacture at least one run with that scenario.

Varsity Bulldog HounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the roughHounDoggy1 is a jewel in the rough
    Shreveport / Destin / Toledo Bend/Grand Isle
    Evidently, Mr. McCarver took a few too many fastballs on his facemask when he was a player.

Either that, or he has a severe mental thought-process disability.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar
    I agree with you Dwayne. Also, it's not that easy to "draw a walk".
    (Unless you are Barry). :roll:

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    McCarver always says stupid things like that to me. I don't care for his calling of games. I am sick at how terrible the cards have been playing and some of the moves LaRussa has made has left me scratching my head to say the least and mad, maybe he has been talking to McCarver too much.

Champ kdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the roughkdaniel72 is a jewel in the rough
    WIth bases loaded the pitcher is in a tight jam. He has to worry about a million thigs. It puts all the pressure on him. What he said makes since in the baseball world. But we are all football fans. So take this MLB crap and go on strike and go away. I hope it never comes back. College BB is much better in my opnion.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Just now reading this thread, so sorry for the late reply.

What McCarver was trying to say, even if he didn't make his point very well, is that if you lose 9-8, you still lose. And by swinging for the fence, in that situation, you run the risk of making an out, even if you hit the ball hard somewhere. It is the 9th run that matters, not the 8th run. So, by drawing a walk, and putting two on, you give the next guy(s) a chance to do something with a big hit.

That's smart baseball.

+ Reply to Thread