+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Simoneaux Speaking at Minden NOON Lions - Jan 30

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Coach Sim is speaking to my NOON Lions Club meeting on Thursday Jan 30...

This is an open invitation to all who wish to come -

Just email me at dwaynerwoodard@hotmail.com if you wish to attend...

Everyone agrees that the Minden NOON Lions Club has the best eating of any Lions Club in North LA -

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Tech head baseball coach to speak at Lions Club
    Staff Report
    Press-Herald

Louisiana Tech head baseball coach Wade Simoneaux will be the guest speaker during Thursday's noon meeting of the Minden Lions Club.

The club's meeting will be held at the American Legion Hall on Pine Street.

Simoneaux, 42, was hired in August following seven successful years at Louisiana-Lafayette as Tony Robichaux's top assistant.

While at UL-Lafayette, Simoneaux was part of five NCAA Regional teams, two NCAA Super Regional squads and the 2000 Cajun squad that finished 3rd at the College World Series. He is a two-time recipient of the Louisiana-Lafayette assistant coach of the year award.

Upon his hiring, the Baton Rouge native promised to bring an aggressive style of play along with strong team discipline to the program.

Since his hiring, Simoneaux has orchestrated a renovation of J.C. Love Field. The players and coaches have done almost all of the work as the facility has seen many changes and improvements.

Simoneaux graduated from Nicholls State in 1984 with a degree in business administration. He was a two-year starter at third base during the 1982 and 1983 seasons.

He also saw playing action at Central Florida Junior College in the spring of 1981 while being voted team captain.

He was a finalist when Tech hired Randy Davis in 1996 and he again applied when Jeff Richardson was hired in 1999.

The third time proved to be the charm for Simoneaux who was selected over the summer to be the sixth head coach in the modern era of Tech baseball.

Prior to his tenure at UL-Lafayette, Simoneaux served as head coach at Episcopal High School in Baton Rouge for five seasons.

He chaired the committee for completion of a $1 million baseball facility facelift.

Other career highlights include, four American Legion World Series appearances and nine state championships in 11 summers.
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Puppy cajun flatfoot is an unknown
    :?: Did anyone hear Simoneaux talk today? Are we ready yet?
    He will bring a new atmosphere to Ruston.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Dwayne and I were there.

"Are we ready yet?"

Well, I dunno. He basically said there are going to be some ugly moments this year while the team switches over to a wide-open style of baseball.

In practice, the team simulates game situations. If you hit the ball to an outfielder and he bobbles the ball you are expected to keep running to second. If he throws you out, you are called SAFE in this practice situation. If he bobbles it and you go back to first instead of trying for the extra base you are called OUT. There's going to be head shaking going on in the stands for awhile as people marvel at what appears to be bonehead baserunning. But he wants to build a team that is aggressive.

He promises the team will hustle and play with enthusiasm. He promises the team will not have a bad attitude. He knows there will be some games when we get blown out, and he said if the opposing coach starts taking it easy on us he's going to walk over there and ask him why he is not doing his job. If another team is capable of beating us by 20 runs he wants them to do it so this team will realize just how far they have to go to get to the top level of performance.

He's a doozy. Dwayne and I both bought our season family passes yesterday, even though neither of us will be able to get to all that many games. I hope you guys will consider doing the same.

Big Dog farright30 is an unknown farright30's Avatar
    Dwayne,

How many games do you plan to go to this year? Just wondering.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough
    Appreciate the update and coach's comments from the luncheon. I bought Family Pass over a month ago. Live over 250 miles away and will probably never make a home series. I call it financial support in addition to Champs contributions. Now I have to admit, chance to win the Hawaii trip helped motivate me to buy the Pass even while living at a great distance.

Due to the nature of my job with tax season and all -

I will probably only be able to make about 10 home games...

Wade told me that the time has changed for the Saturday Nebraska game to either 4:00 or 4:30 to coincide with the Bracket Buster ESPN game - so that makes it a PERFECT tailgating opportunity for the BB&B crew (weather permitting of course)...

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter
    Appreciate the update and coach's comments from the luncheon. I bought Family Pass over a month ago. Live over 250 miles away and will probably never make a home series. I call it financial support in addition to Champs contributions. Now I have to admit, chance to win the Hawaii trip helped motivate me to buy the Pass even while living at a great distance.
    I did the same. My wife is still asking me 'why?'! :wink:

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Wade told me that the time has changed for the Saturday Nebraska game to either 4:00 or 4:30 to coincide with the Bracket Buster ESPN game - so that makes it a PERFECT tailgating opportunity for the BB&B crew (weather permitting of course)...
    Then I guess we need to let everyone know?

Yes-

I plan to see LARHOB at an upcoming basketball game and iron out the PIT plans and then get with the powers that be to see where we can sit up -

Coach Sim seemed very excited at the FACT that we will not only be doing something like this one time, but numerous times during the season - he is willing to help anyway he can -

I think it would be a nice gesture if BB&B could through a big SPREAD and feed the team and thier families after the last Saturday game vs Nevada on May 24th...

That would give us several months to plan and scrounge donations - we could also extend an invite to the MCH bunch...

Big Dog farright30 is an unknown farright30's Avatar
    Not only is the bracket buster and nebraska game that saturday, but the alumni game is scheduled after the 4:30 game. That should be a draw in itself. haha.

I assume that you are one of the 4 that responded...

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    Is it too late to get in the Hawaii trip drawing for family pass purchases?

This guy needs to rub off on our other coaches.

Tech's Simoneaux speaks to Lions
    Josh Beavers
    Managing Editor

Former Florida Gators and current Washington Redskins head football coach Steve Spurrier never had any qualms about running up the score on a weaker opponent.

When a reporter once asked the sharp-tongued former Heisman Trophy winner why he was still throwing deep in the fourth quarter with a 40-point lead, Spurrier simply said it was his job to score points.

"It's the other coach's job to stop us," he said with a rare smile.

Wade Simoneaux must have been taking notes.

However, we've yet to see how Spurrier handles the tables being turned.

Simoneaux, the new Louisiana Tech head baseball coach, is quick to say he doesn't mind being routed. In fact, he thinks it's the best way for a team to learn.

"If we're getting pasted and the opposing coach begins to let up, I'm going to walk over and tell him he's a disgrace," Simoneaux told members of the Minden Lions Club Thursday. "I don't want someone to let up, because that beating will be helping us. It may not seem like it, but that's the only way we can see how much we have to go."

And there are plenty of opportunities for the Bulldogs to "get pasted" this season the first year coach said. With non-conference games against Nebraska, Alabama and Miss. St., not to mention a conference lineup that features four games against perennial power Rice, Tech plays one of the nation's toughest schedules.

However, Simoneaux welcomes the challenge.

"I love it," he said. "The harder the better, and I want someone to just come in an paste us against the dugout wall because I know playing these teams will only make us better."

And getting better, putting a winning team on the field, was the goal of the Louisiana Tech Athletic Department when it went out and lured Simoneaux away from his spot as Tony Robichaux's top assistant at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.

It was with the Rajin' Cajuns where Simoneaux spent seven successful years and was part of five NCAA Regional teams, two NCAA Super Regional squads and the 2000 Cajun squad that finished 3rd at the College World Series.

He inherits a Tech team that finished the 2002 campaign with a dismal 21-37 record.

But despite limitations and a tough schedule, Simoneaux is optimistic about the season – not necessarily about winning, but about putting the right kind of team on the field.

"We are going to be competitive in every game we play," he said. "We are going to have a chance because of our attitude alone. We are going to have a chance because of our hustle alone. And if we get a good pitching performance, if we get a good hitting performance, then that will only better our chances."

But things are going to be ugly early, he confessed.

"You've got to back up and see where you are before you can go forward," the coach said of the season which begins Wednesday with a 3 p.m. home game against Centenary.

"I don't have a scouting report on Centenary," he said. "I don't care what they're doing. I don't care if the score is 20-0 or 0-20. All I care about is what we're doing and that we're playing hard.
    "And if they don't play hard, they're going to come sit by me," he continued. "And they won't like sitting by me then."

But with work, the new coach said the wins would come. But more important than winning was getting players on the field that truly cared. Players who will give everything game in and game out, practice in and practice out.

"If you play the game hard, the way it is supposed to be played, then people will come out and watch," he said. "Whether you win or lose, the fans will be there. The wins will fall into line from there."

And getting people out to the games is one of his biggest goals this first season.

"We want people to give us a chance," he said. "We want people to see the product we put on the field."

He's also getting the team active in the community by participating in various youth events, and even going door to door and shaking hands.

"If you don't have a good presence, if you don't get the community involved, then you aren't going to get people in the stands," he said. "And also I want to teach these guys how special and important community service is. I want them to appreciate being able to wear the uniform, not just a Tech uniform, but any uniform. I want them to feel fortunate to be in the position they are in."

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Craig, no it's not too late. Call Flo and she'll fix you up.

+ Reply to Thread