+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mexico

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    New Mexico is 8-1 so far to start this season. They have one bad loss and one great win. They lost by ten points to Southern Cal, who has a really poor team this year. The Lobos only scored 45 points in that game. They went on a tear after that scoring 70 to 85 points a game to a 7 game winning streak including a BIG win over Texas. They are outrebounding opponents by a very large margin - that scares me. Add to this that they are undefeated at home.

They face Arizona tonight, I believe. Here is the link to that information that gives a run down on the Lobos year so far and their strengths.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Their leading scorer and rebounder is a senior - Jordon Adams. She plays Center and scored 30 points against Memphis. Sounds like Cheryl Ford will have her work cut out for her.

Looking at their box scores, we need to put a lot of focus on shutting down their inside game.

The way that T. Clay has been playing defense, we should be able to give them fits coming down the court. Frierson and Ford are going to have to GET the rebounds and not get discouraged.

It may be hard to get the ball inside to Ford and Frierson on offense, so our guards better have a great game. I see a BIG key for us in Aarica Ray. Hopefully, she will be our secret weapon. She has to score big. Erica Smith and Amber Obaze like to penetrate and drive to the basket. That is good, but we need someone that can pop that outside shot. Aarica is the brightest hope I have seen thus far and she faltered against SFA.

I am looking forward to this game, but we HAVE to be working in every area to win this. We are the underdog in this one no matter what the rankings have us at. New Mexico just broke into the top 25 this week and are better than anyone knows.

I feel like I am talking to myself on this thread. Oh well, at least I find it interesting. :lol:

New Mexico was beaten last night by #24 Arizona at Arizona. I HATE getting these teams right after they lose a game. Jordon Adams was held to 17 points. They had another player score 16 in addition to that, though. Also Arizona out rebounded them. Both losses that NM has, they have been outrebounded.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Then we better get some rebounds Saturday!

Thanks for responding EJ. Although, I was enjoying the conversation with myself. Being in the Mental Health business, I didn't see anything wrong with that.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    You mean it is not normal to talk to yourself all the time?

:nuts: :freak:

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Gary -

I think after the 15 pt loss to a mediocre WKU and the lackluster performances against three VERY poor programs (and if anyone watched those three games in person they would know that describing the performances as luckluster is being kind) - people have adopted a wait and see attitude...

I think the future of this team lies solely with Ray, George and Carter - along with Smith and Obaze -and how they perform in the meaningful games -

Frierson has not sold me because she put back 12 missed shots against a very poor team and Ford has been not existence the last few ballgames...

If they win a New Mexico, it will be a VERY nice win - probably better than the win against TTech since that was played infront of a few janitors and 10 other people -

Dwayne,
    I agree with you totally. I think this team has a long way to go and a lot to prove. Ford has played decent defense, but you are exactly right about her offensive performance. I can almost forgive her since she is being double and triple teamed - I said almost.

Actually, Obaze and Smith are the ones that are going to have to step up. If our guards are performing well, other teams will stop packing it in on us in the paint. That is where the problem is.

I hope we are seeing what Frierson is going to be like from here on out. I think her emotion is just what we need. I just hope she doesn't perform like Lewis did - inconsistent.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    How many games have you seen in person?

And the reason I say that is because of what you said about Ford - to me I see someone who is just missing open shot after open shot within 5 feet of the basket with normal defensive pressure...

I'm still not sold on Fierson and Smith has to learn to shot the ball quickly and not wait on "set" shoots to get off a 3...

But I do like the two young guards with the quick shooting motions and Obaze is beginning to find her touch...

I went to the Tennessee game and to the SFA game.

I agree that they are missing some open shots. That is a lot like last year with Walker and Lewis. The Tennessee game was full of missed shots. I do not think that we lost the Tennessee game so badly because of the Vols defense. We lost it because of missed easy shots. Our defense was outstanding even in that game, though. I know that sounds strange, but we really pressured them and held them to a very low point total. We outplayed them in the second half, but we all know that Pat lightened up some too. Talk about embarrassing!

Anyway, you are right about our offense. I am just hoping that these young guards will blossom even more early. I have no idea what is going on with Smith. She certainly has the talent but, except for a few games, has not shown it.

I am planning on going to the SMU game in Dallas this year. We should, at least, be able to romp them again.

I saw an outstanding performance by the Techsters against Texas Tech. I just hope that we can get that back again. We really played to our potential in that game for the first time in two years. We actually HAD an offense. Saturday is a scary game. That crowd at the Pit has a reputation of being loud and frenzied. Plus New Mexico can come back after being down. Against Arizona they fought back from 11 points down to tie it up in the second half. They eventually went down by 7.

This game could easily set the tone for the rest of the year.

Puppy Popofadog is an unknown
    DFM what I noticed at the Tulane game was the number of turnovers that were unforced. I know we have a young team, but the passing was pretty ugly at times. I hope it is just young inexperience. But you know when you are at the college level I really feel you should know how to pass by now. We need confidence in our passing and shooting.

You are exactly right, Popofadog. The passing has to get cleaner. I, too, hope that is just inexperience.

The shooting game is what really worries me. We have gone some nights when not one of them can hit an open shot, it seems like. What is up with that? Frierson hit some easy buckets against SFA, but at least she hit them. She went 7 of 8 from the field. That is great, but it is her emotion that really helps spark this team.

Today worries me and I am set for a defeat. After all, a sold out 18,000 very vocal crowd is going to be really difficult for our youngsters. This is grow up quick time. I hope they can handle it. Even though I would not be surprised at a defeat, I do know that we can win. Everything has to be working, though.

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar
    Good win for the Techsters.

The 2nd half effort was tremendous. The ladies just took NM out of their game.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Nice win today in the Pit!

Also, I like a Tech team that plays better in the 2nd half than in the 1st. Do you think Budke makes any adjustments at halftime? :idea:

+ Reply to Thread