+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stelly Plan

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    http://www.wbrz.com/stories/122302/new_stellywith.shtml

Essentially this raised taxes on the middle class. I have no problem with the idea of "paying my fair share" but this plan was pushed to the people using the same old Robin Hood line of taxing the rich more and taxing the poor less. I guess it is as long as you define "rich" as folks making between 50-100k. Folks making more than 100k are getting taxed at the SAME rate. Actually they get a slight tax cut because they get the benefit of the food and utility tax. Now read this "tax table update" jargon. We are being taken for a ride folks and over half the state bought this lie hook line and sinker because they thought they were getting a better deal. Your taxes are going up folks ...

Start printing them now. "Don't blame me. I voted AGAINST the Stelly Plan."

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I voted against it too. The funny thing is, the stelly plan supporters actually put out a table by which you could calculate your tax burden, before and after. I did it and saw we'd be hurt by it. I actually did it for a few friends too and I think they didn't believe it so they voted FOR the amendment anyway.

But, what would you expect from the Louisiana electorate that put Edwards in BR so many times and just cut their own throat again by re-electing Landrieu?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    http://www.wbrz.com/stories/011403/new_stellymiff.shtml

Anybody up for printing those bumper stickers. Stelly saves us a whole 4 cents in sales taxes on food in the Baton Rouge area. Man I feel rich already.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    And, now I hear in Baton Rouge that the school board wants some of the pennies we're allegedly getting back. After everyone's seen their tax withholdings and the difference its NOT making at the checkout stand, what do you think the chances are that they'll get it? I'm guessing somewhere close to ZERO.

That goes to the voters and it will fail miserably. Not a single person is happy about the deseg situation in Baton Rouge and any "tax" to help the public schools there is considered throwing money down the drain. There is ONE primary reason that many middle class folks are leaving Baton Rouge for Livingston and Ascension parishes. They want better schools and they cannot afford to send their kids to private schools. Otherwise, the folks who stay in Baton Rouge send their kids to private school or home school. In essence there IS something akin to the property tax folks are always complaining about in Texas in Baton Rouge. Middle class and higher folks here pay it in the form of private school tuition and that is why ANY tax to support the public school system in Baton Rouge will fail over and over and over again. The ones who pay ... and vote ... are not sending their kids to the schools.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    quick question:

Can't one deduct the amount of state income tax paid on one's federal taxes?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Only if you itemize.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Right, itemizing.

Money used to pay sales taxes is not deductable, though, correct?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Not by an individual. Corps can do it by off-setting what they owe for goods sold if it was for resale.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    And, if I'm not mistaken, the Stelly Plan made it where you don't get to use your federal deductions on your state return anymore.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Correct.

Vic Stelly drops GOP for 'no party' - From The Advocate

By MARSHA SHULER
    mshuler@theadvocate.com
    Capitol news bureau

The politician who pushed the state's new income and sales tax swap has dropped ties to the Republican Party and joined the growing ranks of Louisiana voters aligning themselves with no political party.

State Rep. Vic Stelly, a four-term state legislator from Lake Charles, said Tuesday he is disenchanted with all the party politics, and the recent U.S. Senate race tipped the scales for him.

Stelly is not seeking re-election, but he did not rule out a bid for another political office this fall, when Louisiana voters will elect statewide officials.

"If fate has something in mind for Vic Stelly, it will be as an independent," he said.

Stelly said he's been approached by people about running for various offices, including lieutenant governor.

Stelly said he had been thinking about registering "no party" for some time, but the goings-on in the recent U.S. Senate race "brought it to a head."

Stelly said the race between Democratic U.S. Sen. Mary Landrieu and Republican state Elections Commissioner Suzanne Terrell had a lot of voters "looking for none of the above."

Stelly said more and more people are registering no party.

According to Dec. 7 state elections totals, out of 2.8 million registered voters, there were 542,345 choosing no party. That's double the no-party registration from five years ago.

In his district alone, Stelly said a recent voter registration report showed 96 new Democrats, 88 new Republicans and 125 new no-party voters in a three-month period.

Stelly said he made a personal decision.

"It's no reflection on anybody and no insult to anybody. It's something I have been thinking about for some time," Stelly said.

Stelly said he was a Democrat for 20 years before he switched to the GOP 20 years ago."

What a surprise this is - don't think this plan had to much for Republicans in it!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Stelly was a Republican in registration only. Much like our esteemed governor Foster, he was a Democrat in Republican clothing.

However, I was thinking of registering independent as well. I have an ideology that is conservative, is most often represented closer by Republicans than Democrats, but I don't like "party" politics.

We don't even have "party" politics here in Louisiana. Republican party anyway. Until the national reps. and the state reps. get on the same page, we are unlikely to have our views sponsored by a true Republican. Our views up here differ so much from the views of the supposed conservatives who live south of I-10. I just don't see any relief coming.

A prime example is the Senate race. Cooksey didn't have a chance in South Louisiana and most of us knew it. Terrell was a weak candidate and only got luke warm support up here. Luke warm at best from Cooksey in the run-off. We had the national reps supporting Terrell and the state reps. supporting Cooksey. It was a mess before it even began. And we still should have beaten ML! Maybe one day we will get on the same page and win one.

+ Reply to Thread