+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lady Techsters look to stay sharp...

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Lady Techsters look to stay sharp after 13-day break as they open WAC play

Jan 3, 3:10 PM (ET)

Louisiana Tech hopes a 13-day layoff didn't kill the momentum of their five-game winning streak.

The No. 14 Lady Techsters (7-2) open their Western Athletic Conference schedule when they take on Southern Methodist on Saturday.

Louisiana Tech hasn't lost since an embarrassing 60-35 defeat to Tennessee on Dec. 4, which was first-year coach Kurt Budke's home debut with the Lady Techsters.

Budke feels his team has made great strides since that loss, Louisiana Tech's worst home defeat since 1998.

"I don't think there are too many people in the country who thought we would be where we are at this point of the season," Budke said. "I think this team is coming along, although we still aren't where we want to be in March."

Louisiana Tech ended its non-conference schedule with a 67-54 win over New Mexico on Dec. 21.

Trina Frierson scored 17 points and Cheryl Ford grabbed 18 rebounds in the victory.

The Lady Techsters trailed 36-33 one minute into the second half, but used a 13-1 run over the next five minutes to take control.

SMU (6-4) hasn't won back-to-back games since opening the season 2-0, but Budke is wary of the Mustangs.

"I'm really happy where we are at right now," Budke said. "Now the new season starts with league play, and we have a very tough one coming up Saturday against an SMU team that snapped Oklahoma's 25-game home winning streak. It's doesn't get any easier."

The Mustangs followed up that 71-68 win over then-No. 15 Oklahoma on Dec. 21 with a 67-57 loss to then-No. 20 Boston College on Saturday. But SMU got back on track with a 62-49 victory over UNC-Greensboro on Sunday.

Andrea Cossey led the Mustangs with 15 points, going 5-of-8 from 3-point range.

Louisiana Tech has won all 11 meetings with SMU, including an 82-36 rout in the last matchup Feb. 16.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Can't wait. I have a day planned in Dallas/Ft. Worth today. Leaving this morning going to the new Museum of Modern Art in Ft. Worth and then to the game tonight. Hope they aren't sold out, as I will need to get a ticket when I get there.

Hate to miss the men's game, but wanted to make a few away games of both men's and women's this year and this one is close. I am guessing that the Hoop Troop won't be there due to the men's game at home. Stange scheduling with SMU at Tech and Tech at SMU on the same day.

+ Reply to Thread