+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 54-game win streak.....in jeopardy

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Rrrrright. I hope the SEC (not the athletic conference) doesn't check your books like they did Enron's.

They might see an "on paper" profit of $41 million, but when they look in the bank account, they see ($9 million).

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Evidently -

And they are losing over $200,000 per year for the past 20 years and that is the amount I figured the TVM calculation on for one year if HD would read -

If you are talking about an INVESTMENT - you have to figure the TVM - not a DISCOUNTED RATE -

A discounted rate is what you use to try and sale something that doesn't have the value that it is percieved to have -

HD, knows this - he is just trying to justify the money that we continually throw down the drain on this program - BTW - how much is it worth to the Bulldog Program everytime Karl Malone and PJ Brown is introduced on TNT, TBS and ESPN? probably a HELL of alot more...

If we would have taken the WISE move in 1985 and invested the money we were losing on the women's program into the men's program - where would we be at right now? We wouldn't have lost Dawg80's all time favorite coach and Tommy Joe Eagles would probably still be alive and we would still be a top 30 ball club with several other NBA alumni or active players...

and by the way - does anyone know what a 30 second commercial cost on a broadcast of Fox Sports Net?

I do - it is right around $200 to $500 based on the time slot you choose - and I know this because in the past I have donated time slots on TECH broadcasts -

On a saturday afternoon CBS women's game - when you are up against Ron Poppel might be a few dollars more, but not much...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Dwayne,

Your post is such nonsense. And the problem is, most of these guys on the board will BELIEVE you because they don't know any better.

I wasn't estimating the cost of a 30 second advertising "spot" on Fox Sport Net. I was talking about the TOTAL VALUE of a TWO FREAKIN HOUR telecast broadcast nationwide at least TWICE a year, and the same length regional broadcast 3 times a year. There's a HUGE difference.

Dwayne, if you want to kill a WORTHLESS athletic program that gives Louisiana Tech absolutely NO BENEFIT and NO return on investment, then kill BASEBALL! Baseball at Louisiana Tech produces NO revenues, NO positive publicity, and NO results (wins). Furthermore, baseball takes up more scholarships (25?)than women's basketball (14?) and does nothing to help Tech meet it's Title IX equirements. Talk about a waste. Whew!

Am I in favor of cutting baseball? NO! I'm simply pointing out your HIPOCRACY! Before you continue "excuse mongering" and bitching about a perrennial TOP 10 women's basketball program, you need to hold the other sports just as accountable.

By the way, your comment that former Tech coach Tommy Joe Eagles "would probably still be alive" if Tech had simply redirected dollars from the Lady Techsters program to the Dunkin Dawgs was foolish, low class and grossly misplaced. Comments like that only serve to undermine your credibility. I only hope that some of Eagles' family members don't see your statement.

HD

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Some of Tommy Joe's Family have made the comments directly to me and others -

It is a well known FACT about how they felt about the situation -

ALOT of people still believe he would be alive today...

I'm not advocating disbanding the Techsters - never have - just saying spend the money where you get the most for the buck - and that sure ain't women's basketball...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Baseball only gets around 11 scholarships.

AND, we don't pump money to the baseball team like we do the Techsters...

Varsity Bulldog techdrummer has turned a few heads around heretechdrummer has turned a few heads around heretechdrummer has turned a few heads around heretechdrummer has turned a few heads around here
    This is actually in responce to the original post.

I understand what you're saying, but how many televeision adds have you seen for colleges. They only show them when that team is playing and they do the same with Tech. Now, I think we could do with a new ad for Tech because our current one looks like a powerpoint presentation. But I don't think it should be a part of regular airtime.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by techdrummer
    This is actually in responce to the original post.

I understand what you're saying, but how many televeision adds have you seen for colleges. They only show them when that team is playing and they do the same with Tech.
    That was my point. Tech got national PR when UCONN was playing Tennessee! We got that strictly and ONLY because of the Techsters.

And, while I am not, and have not argued Dwayne's $200k/year loss figure, I am saying that you simply can not measure the true, TOTAL value of a program until you also consider the intangibles and perks of that program. I think it is TOO easy(and wrong!) to say that WBB loses $200K/year at Tech. I am simply using this one example as evidence of the TOTAL value of a successful program. If you can still argue that WBB loses money at Tech, so be it, but it is NOT $200K.

How much does the Accounting Dept "lose" at Tech every year? I haven't seen any national PR generated for the university from those guys :wink:

BTW, UCONN barely escaped, at home, against Rutgers the other night 67-62. Their streak has reached 52. Probably took some "creative officiating" for Geno's gals to prevail, much like the UT game. If you think Miami got screwed, so too did the Lady Vols. (no pun intended, so calm yourself DirtyDawg)

+ Reply to Thread