+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I love Baseball

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I wish I lived closer to Ruston...

I used to "live" at the ballpark watching the Diamond Dawgs play when I was a student. Would bring my books and study between innings and when things got a little slow during the games...

Remember vividly listening to the Techsters lose to ODU in the Final Four while watching the DD beat UALR 13-9. (yes, back then only the WBB title game was televised, not the national semis)

One memory: trailed the Gents 5-0, Tech batting bottom of the 9th. Holman hits a grand slam, cuts lead to 5-4, Johnson homers, ties it 5-5, Barfield homers, Tech wins 6-5! back to back to back jacks!

Coach Simoneaux (sp?) has me excited about baseball again!

All of you that live close, get out there. Bring the kids!

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future
    VERY COOL uniforms

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    If you haven't voted on the times poll, please vote for Sports, the name when I was the backup batboy in the stone age.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    If you haven't voted on the times poll, please vote for Sports, the name when I was the backup batboy in the stone age.
    Aub! you mean you were the 2nd string batboy! I'm not sure I would have admitted that :lol:

I dunno, the "Shreveport Sports" just doesn't roll off the tongue very well. I know it'll come down to either the Sports or the Captains, but I've always been partial to bird names for baseball teams. The "New Orleans Pelicans" and the "Ruston Roadrunners" come to mind.

Anyone remember the semi-pro Roadrunners? Many former Diamond Dawgs played for them. Enjoyed watching some of their games.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    D80 -

Here is one for you -

"MINDEN REDBIRDS"
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Puppy FoopDawg is an unknown
    Dawg80,
    I used to play for the Ruston Roadrunners "back in the day". The only two Tech players that I remember from that team were Dan Banas, who was a big LH hitter, and Jay Tucker, who was Tech's 3rd baseman at the time. A little known fact from that team was that Carl Torbush was our catcher. He was a heckuva baseball player and a tenacious competitor. I really enjoyed playing on the same team with him. We also had a guy who played for GSU and who was recently an assistant coach with the Lady Techsters; Mike Ensley. We played against teams from Monroe, Shreveport, and a few from Southern Arkansas. There were a few other Tech players on the S'port team. One in particular was a catcher for the Dawgs, but I don't remember his name. Did you play for the Roadrunners? If so, I would be interested to know who you are. Maybe we could talk about old times. You know the old saying, "the older i get, the better i was".

FoopDawg

Foop:

No, I didn't play for the 'runners, but did watch several games. I remember Banas and Tucker, and thought there were other DD's on that team. Time blurs thnigs...

as for "the older I get, the better I was." Well, that's true, I was a better athlete 20 years ago....than I am now. But, I know what you mean. That's how my career .292 average playing in the Dizzy Dean League in New Orleans is now a nice round, .300! I just rounded off. I think I might have included a couple of taters from exhibition games in my HR totals too.......

Didn't know that about Torbush! That's interesting.

+ Reply to Thread