+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BARMORE

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar
    Sports
    Monday, January 20, 2003 3:22 A.M. Martin Luther King's Birthday

Leon Barmore Q&A: Restless heart
    Scott Beder / Tech and GSU Reporter
    Posted on January 20, 2003
    The News-Star: Coach, this is your first season without being involved in basketball. How are you holding up so far?

Leon Barmore: I'm not going to kid you, it's been rough. I miss the game and miss it even more than I thought I would. I can't sit still. I miss the game bad. I watch it on TV and I keep up with the college game, men and women - always have. Watching good coaches and games makes you want to do it.

TNS: I've been to some of the men's practices and noticed you there taking notes. Does that help fill your basketball appetite?

LB: I am indebted to (Tech men's coach) Keith Richard. He's given me an opportunity to come hang around. I didn't think it was fair to ask (Techster coach) Kurt (Budke) to do that. Keith has come to my rescue, in that regard. I can't do some things because of (NCAA) rules. I can watch. He asks my advice now and then - and I appreciate that. It keeps me involved a little bit and I desperately needed that.

TNS: Have you come to any of the Techster games?

LB: I came to the Tennessee game and sat as high as I could. It's only fair to Kurt and the staff. They are a wonderful staff and group of kids. It's best for me to keep my distance. But I sure keep up with them - and I've called them a couple of times after a road trip.

TNS: Knowing how much the women's program is a part of your life, it must be really hard to sit and watch the girls play.

LB: I can sit and watch the men better than the girls. I didn't know it would be this hard. I know this: I feel good about what they're doing and how they're going about it. I was happy for (Amber) Obaze the other night. She busted out with a big game. I just love that kid.

TNS: When you retired, there was a lot of joking about all the golf you would play. But is there anything else you have found to occupy your time?

LB: You can't play golf all the time. In the spring and summer, you can certainly get out and play. I bought me a tread mill and try do a lot of exercising and watch my weight. But it's hard because I love sweets and Dr. Peppers. I hang out with Keith - and even went on one road trip, to Mississippi State, with them. My daughter has twin girls and we've been helping them with some things. I've still got a lot of gaps in the day that I've got to figure out. I haven't ever had this kind of time on my hands.

TNS: The free time seems to agree with you though. I saw you at the men's game the other night and you looked good.

LB: The last couple of years I worried so much about the program, and keeping it competitive, and the travel in the WAC got so hard. I want to coach, though. When you saw me the other night, I wasn't about to go out and do the real deal. But, down inside, I'm still trying to figure it out.

TNS: You miss the game so much. Do you think you will coach again? I know at one time you considered the WNBA but the WNBA looks like it could be in trouble. Would you consider coaching at another university?

LB: I want to keep coaching. I don't know about the WNBA or whether I would go to anbother university. I've stayed here because my family means the most to me. It's not something that I would just jump up and go to the WNBA, if something came along. I want to coach again but I can't coach any place. I can't just up and leave - not where I've put my roots down all my life, unless it's a good situation. I really think I've got five, six or seven years left but I don't know where and how.

TNS: You know, if you move, you'll have to leave Squire Creek (country club).

LB: That would be tough. There's not many of those courses around.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by rphdawg
    TNS: You miss the game so much. Do you think you will coach again? I know at one time you considered the WNBA but the WNBA looks like it could be in trouble. Would you consider coaching at another university?

LB: I want to keep coaching. I don't know about the WNBA or whether I would go to anbother university. I've stayed here because my family means the most to me. It's not something that I would just jump up and go to the WNBA, if something came along. I want to coach again but I can't coach any place. I can't just up and leave - not where I've put my roots down all my life, unless it's a good situation. I really think I've got five, six or seven years left but I don't know where and how.
    Joey -

This is why I said what I said the other night at the Nevada game -

I think that deep down he wants to know if he could be successful at the men's level...

I just think it is the only thing that he has not done on the college level...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar
    I think, he's thinking, bulldawgs assitant. 1) wants to coach again, 2) doesn't want to coach at another university, 3) isn't sure the WNBA is for him, 4) is hanging around the bulldawgs quite a bit, 5) wants to say in ruston with his family.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    KR will be taken by a bigger school in the next few years. Leon can step right in if he wants!

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe
    KR will be taken by a bigger school in the next few years. Leon can step right in if he wants!
    That thought had crossed my mind, and it sounds like it has crossed Leon's too.

+ Reply to Thread