+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does the WAC have a WKU in wbb?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    I have only seen a UNO or A-State and a bunch of Lamars and USLs.....

I read all the rpi in the other thread comparing WAC vs Belt and then only thing I see is the change because of a departure of a quality program from one conference to the next...

Nothing more, nothing less...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Mostly I agree, but don't underestimate SMU. I'm certainly happy there were ~1,000 Techsters fans at Moody for our game. SMU (especially the Cossey girl) gave us all we could handle. Without the VERY STRONG Tech fan support we could have easily lost that game by 15 points.

On their own court and with Big12 officials, ranked Oklahoma couldn't beat SMU.
    ________
    Fix Ps3
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:52 PM.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Mostly I agree, but don't underestimate SMU. I'm certainly happy there were ~1,000 Techsters fans at Moody for our game. SMU (especially the Cossey girl) gave us all we could handle. Without the VERY STRONG Tech fan support we could have easily lost that game by 15 points.

On their own court and with Big12 officials, ranked Oklahoma couldn't beat SMU.
    ________
    EXTREME VAPORIZER REVIEW
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 08:52 PM.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    Right now FIU is the top team in the SBC. WKU is 106 in the RPI and has some questionable losses.

Hawaii looks like the #2 team in the WAC but they have losses to SMU and Fresno, who are teams I think are in the upper half of the WAC.

Hawaii lost to UCONN by 7.
    Hawaii lost to UNC by 9. UNC took Duke to OT a couple of days ago and should have beaten them.

All of their losses (except @SMU) are to Top 25 teams

Lets do a comparison, top to bottom of the WAC and SBC THIS SEASON. TSR rankings always seem to be the most accurate as far as ranking violations go, which IMHO gives a failry accurate measure of how teams relate to each other. I DID NOT CHOOSE THIS RANKING SYSTEM BECAUSE IT FAVORS THE WAC. I chose it because I find it to be the most accurate ranking system based solely on GAMES played. January 15, 2003 is the last date it was compiled, so this is dated about a week. If the new data posts today, I will update this post.

I think you will find the results similar with MOST ranking systems INCLUDING RPI. Remove Tech from the equation and compare the two conferences. The WAC has stepped it up IMHO.

<table><tr><td>Conference Rank<td>WAC Team<td>TSR rank<td>SBC team<td>TSR rank<tr><td>1.<td>La Tech<td>11<td>Florida Intl<td>62<tr><td>2.<td>Hawaii<td>29<td>North Texas<td>105<tr><td>3.<td>SMU<td>53<td>New Mexico St<td>106<tr><td>4.<td>Tulsa<td>83<td>Western Ky<td>108<tr><td>5.<td>Fresno St<td>120<td>Middle Tenn St<td>115<tr><td>6.<td>UTEP<td>123<td>Denver<td>13 5<tr><td>7.<td>Rice<td>128<td>South Alabama<td>142<tr><td>8.<td>Nevada<td>141<td>New Orleans<td>216<tr><td>9.<td>San Jose St<td>150<td>Arkansas St<td>231<tr><td>10.<td>Boise St<td>191<td>LA-Lafayette<td>269<tr><td>11.<td><td><td>Ark-Little Rock<td>287</table>

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    One may also want to note where the WAC has improved. The bottom. When we first got in the WAC, I seem to recall UTEP losing to a Division 2 school and Fresno State keeping their RPI firmly planted in the 250 range. Womens basketball .. comparatively .. looks better than the men this season.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    The one point hat everyone is mising is that the WAC has so much more potential for WBB than the SBC.

UH, SMU, Rice and Tulsa are ripe for big time WBB programs.

The Sun Belt was never going to get any better than it was. The WAC is at that level and ready to keep cruising by the sbc.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Actually, I don't think that there are any teams from Kentucky in the WAC, so I guess the answer is no.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    No I think ya'll are missing the point -

Is there any current WAC team that from time to time will put 4,000 to 5,000 in the TAC like the Tech/WKU matchups did in the mid 90's?

Will there be a team in the WAC that is capable of beating us on our home floor on a consistent basis?

The current RPIs are a farce becuase of the none existence of the "TECH" factor on the current SBC schools - I say it reverses with TECH in the conference...

Will Tulsa, SMU or Rice have the capability to do this?

If the conference were to remove the women's tourney from the men's would anyone care to host it other than us?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    OK, I'll play. No, I don't see any competing program in the WAC that is as crazy about women's bball as WKU was when we were in the SBC. I do agree with the idea there is a lot of potential for this, though, at a school like Rice or SMU. If the Rice or SMU women were able to step it up to perennial TOP 15 status I think the support for them would be there.
    If the creek don't rise I'll see you tonight.

Dwayne, I am not using solely RPI to make the argument. I went through all the trouble to cite power ranking sources and those are based very much on non-conference play especially this early into conference play. Palm even cites the non-conference RPI which excludes conference games. The WAC moves up to 9 and the SBC up to 12. The power rankings show an even larger chasm. Louisiana Tech is not worth FIVE spots in conference power rankings. The fact of the matter is that when we joined the WAC, there were TWO teams that were terrible and now they are marginally decent. The SBC STILL has ULL and UALR and the mighty in the SBC have fallen. WKU, despite their win over us, is a shell of what they used to be. In fact, they haven't been a "power" for several years now and that included the last few years we were in the SBC. As long as we play them OOC we haven't lost anything. Louisiana Tech WAS the Sun Belt in womens basketball and without us they are going to continue to slip back towards the pack. The growing chasm in conference rankings show this to be the case.

The WAC has the money to "step up" a level as a conference. Especially SMU who has a history of funding well their non-revenue sports. SMU, Hawaii, Rice (didn't they beat us last year), Fresno State, Tulsa (undefeated in the WAC) and UTEP are ALL showing the capability of being pitfalls on the road. Just look at how close our games have been this season. Are we are normal self? No, but we are still pretty good.

The real question is: "Is the WAC minus Louisiana Tech better than the SBC" ... I think it is the case and I think the difference is growing. Our FANS need to realize that. There are several WAC teams that have bright futures. They look like they can be at least on par with the WKU of old and FIU.

Put it this way ... I do not miss the SBC womens basketball games any more. I feel we are in a better place now.

Big Dog localdawg is an unknown
    I will say, that while the teams necessarily aren't that strong, Ruston saw a star in Curtin tonight. What a shooter!!! But the thing that I was most impressed with her about is her ability to penetrate and ALWAYS find the open player when she draws 2 to 3 defenders...

But, we still win with those CRAPPY WAC refs!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread