Tech's Simoneaux speaks to Lions
Josh Beavers
Managing Editor

Former Florida Gators and current Washington Redskins head football coach Steve Spurrier never had any qualms about running up the score on a weaker opponent.

When a reporter once asked the sharp-tongued former Heisman Trophy winner why he was still throwing deep in the fourth quarter with a 40-point lead, Spurrier simply said it was his job to score points.

"It's the other coach's job to stop us," he said with a rare smile.

Wade Simoneaux must have been taking notes.

However, we've yet to see how Spurrier handles the tables being turned.

Simoneaux, the new Louisiana Tech head baseball coach, is quick to say he doesn't mind being routed. In fact, he thinks it's the best way for a team to learn.

"If we're getting pasted and the opposing coach begins to let up, I'm going to walk over and tell him he's a disgrace," Simoneaux told members of the Minden Lions Club Thursday. "I don't want someone to let up, because that beating will be helping us. It may not seem like it, but that's the only way we can see how much we have to go."

And there are plenty of opportunities for the Bulldogs to "get pasted" this season the first year coach said. With non-conference games against Nebraska, Alabama and Miss. St., not to mention a conference lineup that features four games against perennial power Rice, Tech plays one of the nation's toughest schedules.

However, Simoneaux welcomes the challenge.

"I love it," he said. "The harder the better, and I want someone to just come in an paste us against the dugout wall because I know playing these teams will only make us better."

And getting better, putting a winning team on the field, was the goal of the Louisiana Tech Athletic Department when it went out and lured Simoneaux away from his spot as Tony Robichaux's top assistant at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.

It was with the Rajin' Cajuns where Simoneaux spent seven successful years and was part of five NCAA Regional teams, two NCAA Super Regional squads and the 2000 Cajun squad that finished 3rd at the College World Series.

He inherits a Tech team that finished the 2002 campaign with a dismal 21-37 record.

But despite limitations and a tough schedule, Simoneaux is optimistic about the season – not necessarily about winning, but about putting the right kind of team on the field.

"We are going to be competitive in every game we play," he said. "We are going to have a chance because of our attitude alone. We are going to have a chance because of our hustle alone. And if we get a good pitching performance, if we get a good hitting performance, then that will only better our chances."

But things are going to be ugly early, he confessed.

"You've got to back up and see where you are before you can go forward," the coach said of the season which begins Wednesday with a 3 p.m. home game against Centenary.

"I don't have a scouting report on Centenary," he said. "I don't care what they're doing. I don't care if the score is 20-0 or 0-20. All I care about is what we're doing and that we're playing hard.
"And if they don't play hard, they're going to come sit by me," he continued. "And they won't like sitting by me then."

But with work, the new coach said the wins would come. But more important than winning was getting players on the field that truly cared. Players who will give everything game in and game out, practice in and practice out.

"If you play the game hard, the way it is supposed to be played, then people will come out and watch," he said. "Whether you win or lose, the fans will be there. The wins will fall into line from there."

And getting people out to the games is one of his biggest goals this first season.

"We want people to give us a chance," he said. "We want people to see the product we put on the field."

He's also getting the team active in the community by participating in various youth events, and even going door to door and shaking hands.

"If you don't have a good presence, if you don't get the community involved, then you aren't going to get people in the stands," he said. "And also I want to teach these guys how special and important community service is. I want them to appreciate being able to wear the uniform, not just a Tech uniform, but any uniform. I want them to feel fortunate to be in the position they are in."