+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: QB discussion (moved from football)

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown
    But how is that ANY different that when athletes change their mind about their verbal committment?

The school has never changed their desire to get the recruit (you said Lane has never changed his desire to go to LSU). The recruit just decided another place was a better fit for them.

Now, LSU might have just decided that going after Jamarcus Russell was better for them than getting burned by Robert Lane. Here's my question though... why wouldn't they rescind their offer to Matt Flynn?

I know it's a VERY questionable thing to do, but it has happened before. Since they are going after Russell, they obviously don't have enough confidence in Flynn should they get burned by Lane. Why wouldn't they keep Lane and go after Russell for the #2 spot? Then, they'd still have a great QB should Lane turn pro.

I'm just saying that Lane is not a victim... in the sense that there are no victims in recruiting anymore. It's gone from a game to a war. Lies are told rampantly. Coaches decieve and are deceived. Players and parents certainly deceive and are deceived. They want each coach to know the recruit REALLY wants to attend that school. Lane knew he was playing with fire to begin with. His destiny was in his hands. He used baseball as a trump card. Now he might just be stuck with having to play that card.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    I'm with MD on this. Fisher is a liar and Saban is pulling the strings. This comes from a major recruit and his family (not Lane).

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b_hoss_mac
    But how is that ANY different that when athletes change their mind about their verbal committment?
    It's not any different. For the record, I'm as against a kid changing his committment to a schoolas much as I am against LSU deceiving Robert Lane, barring any coaching change. Robert Lane, however, NEVER WAIVERED in his committment to LSU. He IS the victim.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute
    lsu sucks. That pretty much sums this discussion up.

To all you "state"-lovers, I will say if WE (TECH) had done a star recruit the way that lsu did Robert Lane, I would be calling our University OUT, not defending them. I agree with Monty. The words "integrity" and "lsu" don't mesh.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    All right everybody, let's take a deep breath, calm down, and try not to make this personal or totally slam anybody's school.

While you're doing that, I'll tell you what I think.

I like Robert Lane. He's a great student, a great athlete, and seems to be an all-around nice guy. I was excited when we landed him back in August and was very disappointed when he decommitted. I wish him the best of luck at whatever he does in life, wherever he goes. I know we are missing out on a great kid.

That said, observing the situation and reading all the statements that have been made lead me to several conclusions.

Coach Saban came into recruiting with the avowed goal of signing two quarterbacks that would be guaranteed to show up for fall practice. Lane was the one we wanted. We knew that he would be a high draft pick in baseball. We had no problem with him playing college football and minor league baseball, this is done a lot with two-sport players, and we said that up front. Once we had Flynn locked down as well, we had our two.

As the Jemarcus Russell situation developed, our staff sought reassurance from the Lane camp that he would DEFINITELY be at fall practice. Because, as stated before, our coaches wanted to have rock solid commitments from TWO quarterbacks to absolutely, for certain be at fall practice. We did not give Lane an ultimatum, we just wanted reassurance. At that point, all Lane had to say is, "YES! I will definitely play football for LSU, regardless of what happens with baseball." No such statement ever came. I do not blame Robert Lane for this. The young man wants to keep his options open. That's fine for him. But LSU should also be entitled to keep our options open. His behavior and statements about the process lead me to believe that, come the June baseball draft, he will sign a "baseball-only" clause if the price is right. If he wants to do that, that's fine. But we are in a position where we don't want to be left to twist in the wind if he does. Keep in mind, LSU and Coach Saban have been burned by baseball prodigies before. I will never fault a young man for wanting to keep all his options open in making this very important life-decision, but the programs that do the recruiting also have interests to protect, and I would think ya'll would understand that.

Keep in mind as well that we were always offering Lane a scholarship. We never said we didn't want him. We also never promised him we would only recruit two quarterbacks, although we probably would have quit on Russell had he come out and definitively said he was coming to practice in August no matter what. Nobody lied. Nobody made promises that weren't kept. Nobody reneged on any guarantees. I guess we are to blame for asking Lane to do something he wasn't willing to do when he wanted to keep all his baseball options open, but that's the way the game goes sometimes.

Anyway, it's all moot now. We got our two quarterbacks, Lane has signed with Ole Miss, although if I were a betting man, I'd bet he'll take however many extra millions the baseball club that he's drafted by will give him for a "baseball only" clause in his contract. And he can always come back and play for LSU or Ole Miss or whoever in a few years if he decides that's what he wants. Robert Lane needs to do what is best for Robert Lane, and LSU needs to do what is best for LSU.

As for Mr. Maddawg, if you hate LSU that much, that's your prerogative. But, pray tell, do you have any proof (hard evidence, preferably in writing or on audio/video recording) to back up your assertions that Jimbo Fisher is a "lying piece of trash" and that Jemarcus Russell is a "thug"? Or do you just make totally unfounded accusations against people you don't even know for fun? Because I don't think it's funny. All indications are that Russell is a good athlete, good student, and fine young man just as Lane is. Your characterization of him is, at best, a poor attempt at humor and, at worst, an ugly, racist, bigoted slander. I can't speak for Fisher, because I haven't read much about him or seen much of him, but once again, prove it and I'll believe it.

And let's all please refrain from blanket statements like "LSU and integrity don't mix." I have had ocassion over the years to say equally offensive, ugly things about Louisiana Tech University. But one of the many rules I follow in my life is that I do not judge an entire organization/school/community/racial/ethnic group/church by the actions of a few individuals. And in this case, I see no unethical action by individuals representing LSU to begin with.

Congratulations on your excellent recruiting class Bulldogs! Looking forward to November 1st. GEAUX TIGERS!!!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Jetstorm, maddawg doesn't need me to defend him, but I will. First I'd like to say that you've been a very good poster since you've joined. It has been appreciated. That being said, I'd like to say that just because someone makes the statement that somebody is a thug doesn't make it a racist statement. It's people like you and BHoss that assume the statement has been made because the kid is black. By doing that, you are being racist by assuming that he meant it because the kid was black. Knowing maddawg, I don't believe that to be the case. Maddawg has already said that he has been given information on this kid that has caused him to come to this opinion. Once again, knowing maddawg, he isn't one to just make that type of statement off the cuff.

Now, as far as the Robert Lane deal. I'm going to make this next statement on an assumption. Don't believe everything the press in this state (especially the BR Advocate),as well as those affiliated with LSU, say. I don't want this to sound wrong, but I've noticed, in the past, a certain degree of naivete in your posts due to youth. You are too trusting and too nice a person. As far as how Robert Lane was recruited by LSU, there are, apparently, two versions. LSU's and the Lanes'. Considering that Robert Lane never waivered in his desire to play for LSU and there was never any doubt that he would play baseball if given the right opportunity, I find his story a bit more believable. Considering that LSU has much to lose in the way of recruits if their integrity is suspect, they will naturally spin the story their way. You know, there is a reason that the folks at St. Augustine in New Orleans don't send their players to LSU anymore and haven't for 20 years.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Thanks Dirty.

Jet, I'm a little dissapointed in you. I have always thougt you were a pretty good fellow and have told you as much here on the board. You don't seem to be the typical lsu fan. Obviously I misjudged you. I would never make the statement about Fisher without knowing it to be true. I don't give the names my sources because I don't think they would appreciate their names being mentioned. Some of these same sources have commented on Russell. They have actually been around him. Have you? Just because he is a Thug, doesn't mean he won't be an excellent College QB, but it is a strike against him when compared to Lane.

It appears that your loyalty to lsu has blinded you from reason. Your beloved tiggers are bunch of underachivers. They always have been and always will be. I don't care how many number one classes they get, until they can win that weak a$$ SEC West on a consistant basis, then you aren't getting what you pay for. When they begin to win more than two SEC Championships every ten years then you will have something to be proud of. I guess you could be proud of bowl appearances, but then, every BCS team that wins 7 games goes to a bowl. Winning seven games with lsu's talent should be easy every year.

BTW, how many national championships has lsu won? How many Heisman winners? One and One just like BYU! LOL!

Bulldog Shrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeShrevetown Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    Maddawg, your thug comments about Russell are lies, and you know it. Yet, you continue to insult a teenager about whom you know absolutely nothing. Sad.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregis...5827282740.xml

That was a good opinion piece. However, I didn't see that it disproved any claims about Russel other than saying he uses "yes sir" alot. Apparently, there are quite a few people in Alabama who know him and have questions about his character or the article would not have been written. Whatever the case, I wish the kid all the best and if does have some issues, that he resolves them and rises above whatever this speculation may be. But, it still doesn't mean maddawg is incorrect in his assessment.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrevetown
    Maddawg, your thug comments about Russell are lies, and you know it. Yet, you continue to insult a teenager about whom you know absolutely nothing. Sad.

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregis...5827282740.xml
    We will know soon enough won't we? Hey, I hope I am wrong and that what I was told was with spin. If I am, I will be the first to come back here and admit it. All Russell has to do is stay out of trouble and show up for practice and team meetings for me to be proven wrong. I hope for the sake of Russell (not lsu) that you don't have to come back on here and admit that what I was told had validity.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    BTW, did anyone see where LSPOO admitted today that 6 of their new recruits do NOT qualify? "LUCY/SABAN YOU HAVE SOME SPLAINING TO DO!" BUMMER DUDE!!!

Varsity Bulldog Screenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    LSU said that all along. Some are not going to qualify, per the 25 scholarship limit and the fact that LSU signed 27.

This recruiting crap about coaches lying is true. ALL COACHES LIE TO GET RECRUITS. how do i know this? Well, basically all coaches are going to stretch the truth to get a kid. its like an admissions counselor feeds you a line about how wonderful the school is or a car salesman telling you what a great price you are gonna get. its part of the game. it's sales. YOU CAN'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING a salesman tells you. coaches are salesman. News flash: Bicknell lies to recruits too.

i disagree w/ all the mess about Lane. He never would commit to the Tigers saying all along he may go play ball. they did what they had to do. He may never show up at Ole Miss. WE DON'T KNOW. Nobody knows what really happened because none of us are robert lane and none of us are saban, fisher, cutcliffe, etc. LSU is happy w/ who they got, robert lane is happy, ole miss is happy, it is a moot point.

Muse had the option to go to LSU but wouldn't verbal soon enough. There's nothign wrong with that on either side. All coaches want to get taht verbal as soon as possible. all players want to check out as many schools as possible. Coker of the Canes tried to get verbals in the same way w/ some LSU recruits. Is he a bad coach? NO. It backfired on him, but it is part of the game. LSU found someone they liked better than Muse. thats just the way it goes. Certainly some kid that ended up at NSU, or Mcneese or ULM or Tulane or somewhere wanted to go to tech but tech found someone better.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    Thanks Dirty.

Jet, I'm a little dissapointed in you. I have always thougt you were a pretty good fellow and have told you as much here on the board. You don't seem to be the typical lsu fan. Obviously I misjudged you. I would never make the statement about Fisher without knowing it to be true. I don't give the names my sources because I don't think they would appreciate their names being mentioned. Some of these same sources have commented on Russell. They have actually been around him. Have you? Just because he is a Thug, doesn't mean he won't be an excellent College QB, but it is a strike against him when compared to Lane.

It appears that your loyalty to lsu has blinded you from reason. Your beloved tiggers are bunch of underachivers. They always have been and always will be. I don't care how many number one classes they get, until they can win that weak a$$ SEC West on a consistant basis, then you aren't getting what you pay for. When they begin to win more than two SEC Championships every ten years then you will have something to be proud of. I guess you could be proud of bowl appearances, but then, every BCS team that wins 7 games goes to a bowl. Winning seven games with lsu's talent should be easy every year.

BTW, how many national championships has lsu won? How many Heisman winners? One and One just like BYU! LOL!
    I don't know if you meant that as an insult or not. I'm proud to be associated with Brigham Young University, an outstanding school with a proud, tradition-rich football program (led by former Tech coach Gary Crowton, one of my favorite people in the college football world). And I don't need to disparage other schools and their accomplishments to make me feel better about my school. I'm very happy with our one national championship (many schools have none) and our one Heisman Trophy winner (despite his affinity for Monopoly money. Besides, all have sinned and fall short of God's grace. I can forgive). I look forward to the day when more National Championships and Heisman Trophy winners come to LSU (and there will be more, you can bet on that). I'm sorry you don't like LSU. That's your business. I'm sorry you have to make baseless allegations on an anonymous Internet forum and then hide behind anonymity when confronted about it. Like I said, if you can offer me proof, I'll believe it. Otherwise, it's just a wild allegation on an Internet forum like so many others that have turned out to be false. You may be able to trust your "source", but I would need to know more before I call Coach Fisher and Russell what you call them.

For the record, Dirty, I don't read the BR Advocate, for some of the reasons you described above. I have learned to view the media (even sports media) with a skeptic's eye. I have Mass Comm classes here at LSU to thank for that. While I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (that's how I see it, not as being too trusting or naive), I also like to have varied sources of info. and make sure it's corroborated by other accounts. But, let me ask you this, if every source that butters LSU's bread a little is questionable, does the same rule apply to Tech? Some have raised the objectivity question with Max Emfinger and his class rankings (not me, though. I could care less about his Tech connections and find the business of ranking recruiting classes foolish anyway).

My point is, what all this means depends on your point of view I guess. I'm an LSU student/fan, so naturally I will try to see things in a positive light for LSU. I don't know what exactly went down with Robert Lane and the LSU staff. Only Lane and his folks know his real intentions, and only Saban and Fisher know what they said/meant in their process of recruiting the kid. I believe what I believe, you guys think what ya'll think, so I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Regardless, I wish him all of God's blessings no matter where he goes and what he does. I wish the same things for you guys and Louisiana Tech. All I ask is to not let all this get to your head and make wild accusations and start equating my school and it's head football coach with Hell and Satan. It is, after all, just a game.

Jet Said "I look forward to the day when more National Championships and Heisman Trophy winners come to LSU (and there will be more, you can bet on that). "

ROFLMBO!! You mean the 45 year cycle? Heck man, ya'll are on a ten year cycle just to win the SEC.

BTW, I don't hide behind a screen name, but I do respect my sources enough not to post their names on here.

Monty Hogg
    323-8787

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Yeah, Jetstorm .... you might not want to get into the whole "anonymous internet forum" thing.

Most of our regular posters have their real names listed in their profile. Also many of us know one another on a first name basis, and we always tailgate together each fall.

Say what you will about this forum but anonymous cyber-cowards we are not.

+ Reply to Thread