+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Southwest Airlines Sued over Stewardess' Rhyme

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    From Chronwatch.com - http://www.chronwatch.com/content/co...y.asp?aid=1554

Hang onto your P.C. hat! A couple is suing Southwest Airlines because a stewardess used a rhyme deemed racist by two passengers. This story is by Robert Cronkleton of the Kansas City Star. Is there no limit to people being offended by this kind of trivia, and of some lawyer willing to take the case?

A widely recognized rhyme--and how it was used on a flight--are the focus of a case headed for trial in federal court in Kansas City, Kan.

Louise Sawyer, 46, of Merriam, and Grace Fuller, 48, of Lenexa, have sued Southwest Airlines alleging that they were discriminated against and suffered physical and emotional distress on a crowded February 2001 flight after an attendant uttered the rhyme.

Trying to get passengers to take their seats, Southwest Airlines flight attendant Jennifer Cundiff said over the intercom, ''Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; pick a seat, we gotta go.''

The two African-American women, who are siblings, contend they were the only passengers standing in the aisle at the time. Cundiff has contended that several others were in the aisle.

Sawyer and Fuller said the rhyme immediately struck them as a reference to the original, racist version, which begins with the words: ''Eenie, meenie, minie, moe; catch a n----- by his toe....''

Cundiff, who is white and was 22 at the time, said in court papers that she had never heard the offensive version of the rhyme and that she had used the phrase on several flights as a humorous way of getting passengers to sit down.

The second line of a modern version usually goes, ''Catch a tiger by the toe.''

On Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Kathryn H. Vratil ruled in Kansas City, Kan., that the case could proceed on the plaintiffs' claim that Southwest discriminated against them. Vratil ruled in favor of Southwest on another point, however, by dismissing the plaintiffs' claims for intentional and emotional distress.

''The court agrees with plaintiffs that because of its history, the phrase `eenie, meenie, minie, moe' could reasonably be viewed as objectively racist and offensive,'' Vratil wrote in her ruling. ''The jury, however, must decide whether Cundiff's remark was racist, or simply a benign and innocent attempt at humor.''

Although many books that trace the history of words and phrases do not contain an entry for ''eenie, meenie, minie, mo,'' at least one does.

The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins by Robert Hendrickson dates the rhyme to the mid-19th century and says that the original version was ''insensitive at best.'' Hendrickson adds that ''happily, the second line is much more frequently today `Catch a tiger by the toe.' ''

Sawyer and Fuller said Friday that their case against Southwest evolved from a vacation to Las Vegas. On the return trip, they failed to arrive at the gate at least 10 minutes before departure and were not allowed to board.

They were placed on ''priority standby'' for the next flight. After boarding, they had trouble finding seats. As they stood in the aisle, Cundiff said the rhyme over the intercom.

''I was infuriated by the comment,'' Sawyer said Friday. She said fellow passengers snickered at the rhyme, which further made her feel alienated.

Fuller said that she, too, felt that the rhyme was directed at her. ''It was like I was too dumb to find a seat,'' she said.

Fuller, who has epilepsy, said the comment upset her so much that her hands shook during the flight and that she has ''unexplained memory gaps'' about the flight. Later that night, she said, she had a ''grand mal seizure'' and was bedridden for three days. Because she did not have health insurance, she did not seek medical attention, she said.

After Sawyer and Fuller complained to Southwest, the airline investigated the incident and asked Cundiff to write a report.

In her report, Cundiff wrote, ''The statement I made on Flight 524 was not racist or discriminating, and I am offended that because I have white skin suddenly I am a racist. Maybe those that run around pointing fingers yelling racist should stop and turn that finger around.''

Cundiff, according to court documents, had used the rhyme on other flights after learning it from co-workers who, like other Southwest attendants, frequently employ humor on flights. Cundiff, who grew up in Texas, said she only used the rhyme when flights were full and passengers were in the aisle.

According to court documents, Southwest did not believe the phrase was racist and did not reprimand Cundiff or ask her to stop using it. However, Cundiff no longer uses it because of the incident.

Sawyer and Fuller filed the lawsuit, without an attorney, in August 2001 after they didn't get a satisfactory response from Southwest.

Scott A. Wissel, a lawyer with the Kansas City law firm of Lewis, Rice & Fingersh, which is representing Sawyer and Fuller at no charge to them, said they are seeking injunctive relief to have Southwest stop using the rhyme and to provide employee training to prevent such things from happening again.

They are also seeking an unspecified amount in compensatory and punitive damages.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    And this will be promptly thrown out of court correct? Oh ... nevermind ... they are actually going to hear this case????

You have GOT to be kidding ...

We used to use eeny meeny miny moe to PICK things as children. We never used the N word as part of it ...

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    The interesting thing about this is that the Wall Street Journal recently had an article about Southwest Airlines. Of course, it alluded the fact that Southwest was the only airline still making money, post 9-11. But, most of the article was about how Southwest actually recruits professional comedians to work for their airline because the passengers like the humor and it helps ease the tension caused by flying. I couldn't remember the jokes, but they are memorialized on some joke sites. Here are some of the samples of real jokes told by Southwest employees:

A mother and her son were flying Southwest Airlines from Kansas to Chicago. The son, who had been looking out the window, turned to his mother and said, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?" The mother, who couldn't think of an answer, told her son to ask the stewardess. So the boy asked the stewardess, "If big dogs have baby dogs and big
    cats have baby cats, why don't big planes have baby planes?" The stewardess asked, "Did your mother tell you to ask me?" The boy said that she had. She then said, "Tell your mother that Southwest always pulls out on time."

"There may be 50 ways to leave your lover, but there are only 4 ways out of this airplane..."
    After landing: "Thank you for flying Delta Business Express. We hope you enjoyed giving us the business as much as we enjoyed taking you for a ride."
    As the plane landed and was coming to a stop at Washington National, a lone voice came over the loudspeaker: "Whoa, big fella. WHOA!"
    After a particularly rough landing during thunderstorms in Memphis, a flight attendant on a Northwest flight announced: "Please take care when opening the overhead compartments because, after a landing like that, sure as heck everything has shifted."
    From a Southwest Airlines employee...."Welcome aboard Southwest Flight XXX to YYY. To operate your seatbelt, insert the metal tab into the buckle, and pull tight. It works just like every other seatbelt, and if you don't know how to operate one, you probably shouldn't be out in public unsupervised.
    In the event of a sudden loss of cabin pressure margarine cups will descend from the ceiling. Stop screaming, grab the mask, and pull it over your face. If you have a small child traveling with you, secure your mask before assisting with theirs. If you are traveling with more than one small child...pick your favorite.
    Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but we'll try to have them fixed before we arrive.
    Thank you, and remember, nobody loves you, or your money, more than Southwest Airlines."
    "Your seat cushions can be used for flotation, and in the event of an emergency water landing, please paddle to shore and take them with our compliments."
    Once on a Southwest flight, the pilot said, "We've reached our cruising altitude now, and I'm turning off the seat belt sign. I'm switching to autopilot, too, so I can come back there and visit with all of you for the rest of the flight."
    "Should the cabin lose pressure, oxygen masks will drop from the overhead area. Please place the bag over your own mouth and nose before assisting children or other adults acting like children."
    "As you exit the plane, make sure to gather all of your belongings. Anything left behind will be distributed evenly among the flight attendants. Please do not leave children or spouses."
    "Last one off the plane must clean it."
    And from the pilot during his welcome message: "We are pleased to have some of the best flight attendants in the industry...Unfortunately, none of them are on this flight...!"
    Heard on Southwest Airlines just after a very hard landing in Salt Lake City: The flight attendant came on the intercom and said, "That was quite a bump and I know what y'all are thinking. I'm here to tell you it wasn't the airline's fault, it wasn't the pilot's fault, it wasn't the flight attendants' fault...it was the asphalt!"

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    If Southwest had assigned seating, I'd fly them all the time. I know its a timesaver for them, but I don't like not knowing where I'm going to sit - and NEVER want to get stuck with a middle seat.

My funniest Southwest story happened a few years ago. I'd gotten there very early so I was sitting in the bulkhead seat facing towards the rest of the passengers and another row of passengers directly in front of me. I was doing the same thing I always do when they're giving the safety information - reading the newspaper and not paying attention. APPARENTLY (I didn't listen/hear) she said "its a violation of federal law to tamper with the smoke alarms and video cameras in the lavatories". After their announcement the man in front of me called the flight attendant over and said "ma'am, do y'all really have video cameras in the bathrooms"? She replied "no, but you were the only one listening". The man said he worked for the FAA and he knew they were always implementing some crazy rules, so he wouldn't have been that surprised if they did!

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of
    I remember using that rhyme as a kid -- think we said "catch a piggy by the toe." I knew of the other version, but even in the early 70s, it was considered like cussing to use it.

Ridiculous lawsuit -- how can you respect a court system that doesn't toss such things at first glance?

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    Until black people can get a grip on “the N word”, own it, and choose not to be so controlled by even the implication of it, they will not reach the same level of integration in American society other minority groups have. We all know Irish, Poles, Italians, and other European groups overcame immense discrimination to prosper and become non-hyphenated Americans. One can argue that it was easier for them because they were white Christians, but Chinese, Koreans, Indians and other recent immigrant groups have all carved out prosperous niches in this country. Bobby Jindal may be a legitimate candidate for governor of Louisiana! If that’s not progress, I don’t know what is.
    Black people are segregating themselves by filing these ridiculous lawsuits, clinging to affirmative action, creating their own holidays and generally wallowing in their apart-ness. I know I’m being insensitive – I’m obviously not black – but there are simply far fewer legal and societal impediments to success today than those faced by immigrants and black Americans throughout our country’s history. They must reconcile the past and take advantage of the opportunities available or they’ll never realize their potential.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    My thoughts exactly.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDAWG
    Black people are segregating themselves by filing these ridiculous lawsuits, clinging to affirmative action, creating their own holidays and generally wallowing in their apart-ness.
    You're painting with too broad a brush. No need to believe that these people are the norm of the feelings of black people. I can tell you that "they" as you refer to them, don't all feel like this, and to think otherwise is a pretty narrow-minded take on the subject, and is disservice to all of us.

Litigiousness and stupidity are not race-specific...

Ask your black friends what they think about it. You do know some black people, right?

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc
    -- how can you respect a court system that doesn't toss such things at first glance?
    Crazy ain't it? And that's the same court system that we trust to pass judgement on and allow to put people to death...

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    You're painting with too broad a brush. No need to believe that these people are the norm of the feelings of black people. I can tell you that "they" as you refer to them, don't all feel like this, and to think otherwise is a pretty narrow-minded take on the subject, and is disservice to all of us.

Litigiousness and stupidity are not race-specific...

Ask your black friends what they think about it. You do know some black people, right?[/quote]

I realized the moment I clicked the send button that I should have used a qualifier like "an all-too-significant number of" or "a vocal minority" to describe the segment of black people who are paralyzed by the politics of race. I realize a majority aren't, and I apologize for my broad brush.
    With that said, I do indeed have black friends. Many of my coworkers are black, as is my doctor, my dentist, my plumber/electrician, my real estate agent. And yes, I consider each of them my friends. They are precisely why I get so angry at stories like this one where a "vocal minority" of opportunists and their shameless lawyers exploit race to extract money for nothing. This kind of activity, along with affirmative action, slavery reparations and race-based admissions all perpetuate the myth that blacks can't make it without a leg up. Supporters of these set-asides, while perhaps well-meaning, ultimately ascribe to a notion that's as racist as any.
    By the way, what other pronoun can I use other than "they" and "them" when I'm not one of "them"?

+ Reply to Thread