+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech haters and their refusal to "read" the facts

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    OK, I have two questions ...

WHY are there so many folks out there who hate Tech so much? I can understand a few SBC teams but that is a passing bit and will eventually go away, especially if any kind of regional conference forms and they need us. I can understand ULM fans, to a degree ... I would think ULL fans would hate Tech more but they generally are respectful and often times impressed with what Tech HAS accomplished with the little we have. Everyone else baffles me ESPECIALLY LSU FANS.

What can we do to get a page of short one liners that QUICKLY answer the common complaints by our detractors about Tech? I am talking a TRUTH be told page. That way, these arguments on the WAC forum that take up 10 pages can be quickly handled with, if you want the facts on Tech finances, attendances and whatnot, see THIS page and draw YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS.

There are certain things we have problems with. Attendance. This is cited frequently but we do not usually deny that this is a problem. Finances ... THIS ONE chaps my hide because if Tech were in the parable of talents in the Bible we get 100 talents at the end We do WELL with the resources we are allocated by the state. Academics, props, partials and whatnot. If anyone will make a page of it, collect responses from posts around the web and post them here. Afterwards, I propose we make a "generic response."

Leading up to the LSU game we will NEED it. Also, PLEASE non-Tech fans and haters ... DO NOT post here. Take it somewhere else.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    I compare Louisiana Tech to the United States. Why do the Europeans hate us? Why do the Arabs hate us?

Because we're winners.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    And why do our own people hate BB&B -

I guess we are the INFIDEL -

:evil:
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    And why do our own people hate BB&B -
    Many BB&Bers believe they are just being "brutally honest" about any given topic- coaching, administration, recruiting,... However, we are sometimes very aggressive and extremely repetitive with our posts of "constructive criticism for what is in the best interest of Louisiana Tech".

Often, opinions on BB&B are not supported by any factual information at all- just someone's callous (and sometimes misinformed) opinion. Thus, it's understandable why we can be collectively perceived as far more "brutal" than "honest" by some.

We should be willing to accept their brutal perceptions of us in return.
    ________
    Fix ps3
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Most of my lsu friends don't "hate" Tech. They respect them when compared to other in state schools (which ain't saying much), but I do sense a fear of sorts when debating with them. I just wish I had the confidence to match the unspoken fear they seem to have.

IMO it won't matter if we beat them next year unless by some strange circumstance we are both ranked at the time. If we are 500 or so going in and lsu is playing so so and we beat them, I doubt we pick up one single recruite that we wouldn't have otherwise gotten. I'm not optimistic, but bragging rights would be nice for a few years. It will be my first time in tigger stadium come November.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    This Board hasn't exactly applied the principles of "How to Win Friends and Influence Enemies." I would consult with quite a few of the posters on this board for advice on a lot of things. There are some great minds posting here. However, there are not many I would hire to help me persuade.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    There are some great minds posting here. However, there are not many I would hire to help me persuade.
    Thank you for the compliment.

Being a member of that most respected of professions (ROFLMAO), I'm sure you understand that different personalities require different types of persuasion. Some here may be much better at persuasion than you may think. This forum just provides an outlet for tension, stress and frustration at times, so I think people do have a tendency at times to post before really thinking about what they are saying.

And I'm kidding you about the lawyer joke of course. In light of Enron, I can't afford to say much.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glm47
    [And I'm kidding you about the lawyer joke of course. In light of Enron, I can't afford to say much.
    That made me laugh out loud for a full minute. Every profession, including the ministry, has its greedy. Lawyers and accountants are not alone. There are just an awful lot of lawyer jokes because the loser in every trial hates lawyers, and tells three jokes he has heard, and makes up another one.

My response was to Dwayne's bewilderment as to why the powers that be do not like his board. If, as you assert, the posters on this board have persuasive powers, they are definitely not using that power on this board very often.

Neverthless, I do still believe that this board is one of the things has pushed the administration to do better than it wanted, or maybe even knew, it could do. I just think we could do better at persuasion.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    My response was to Dwayne's bewilderment as to why the powers that be do not like his board. If, as you assert, the posters on this board have persuasive powers, they are definitely not using that power on this board very often.
    Contrary to popular belief - I know why certain individuals (organizations) don't like us -

And in my opinion it has MORE to do with what we get accomplished on here than the way things are said on here -

And it that is one of the REAL problems at TECH - people just can't be happy that we are getting some changes made - they are either scared or jealous that WE ARE the ones getting the changes made -

ALOT of people in various positions at TECH are snug and happy in their positions doing just what they need to do to get by and thereby drawing a nice check -

When we point the shortcomings out and continually point this out to the powers that be (they start the anti-BB&B campaign) - and this for the most part is not coming from the athletic office or the athletic director -

While Jim and I don't see things eye to eye - we communicate very well and he is always responsive to suggestions, whether they are criticisms or praise - he always speaks to me when we met or pass in public and that is about all anyone could expect from a person in his position -

Same thing with Ronny Walker - he is great and always has an available ear and open door -

The same cannot be said of others - I could literally run right over them in the TAC and they would rather have their fingernails pulled out than say "Hi" ...

And I know they are reading this and they know who I am talking about -

8-)

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses guys and gals ... I would like to propose that we address the following issues in a public general response. I AM SERIOUS that I think we need this. If we direct folks to the facts EVERY time this type of argument comes up then we are rid of the majority of "waste" that appears on this forum. When a "new" argument comes up, we can address it and add it to the stockpile of information about Louisiana Tech.

1. Attendance. I would like a listing of our attendance PER game for the last 5 years. The box scores are readily available and I have no problem compiling this for everyone. I will do it at lunch. Links to available pictures may also be helpful with some documentation about the size of each of the sections of the stadium. Also, a listing of some factors that may have affected game attendance in a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE way will also be included. "Tim Rattay's last game" ... "Driving rain and 33 degrees at game time"

2. Finances. I would like a similar listing for our past budgets and I would like, if possible, documentation stating how tax money is spent at Louisiana Tech. I know it is very difficult to trace a tax dollar to athletics given the fact that it seems tax money, tuition, fees etc gets ALL dumped into a fund. Our detractors can simply point out that if Tech gets more than 2.3 million dollars in tax money PERIOD then it is going to athletics, while a Tech fan can clearly show that at least 2.3 million dollars of our general fund is NOT tax money and thus NONE of it is tax money. It just depends on how you WANT to spin it. A description by someone who KNOWS how these things work would be helpful.

3. Academics. I know folks can easily GO to the Louisiana Tech home page and figure this stuff out but we got mixed in the Fresno slamming this year and I want it to stop. Useful information for the past few years would be our increases in adminissions requirements, our future plans, our All-whatever Academic selections, our athlete graduation rate, etc. I would also like a listing of props, partials, JC's and HS students brought in with past classes.

Add other topics as folks start reaching to find a way to slam Tech.

I would like some help on this because we all know PERCEPTION IS REALITY and folks running around with the WRONG information about Louisiana Tech (and to be fair other state schools as well ... including LSU) is RAMPANT in this state. It is time to provide a UNITED front and SELL Louisiana Tech to the world and the best way to do that is to directly combat the misinformation that is out there with the facts.

Call it the Louisiana Tech Defense Initiative Am I the only one that thinks this is necessary?

No, but playing devils advocate - here is one flaw you need to consider (as you could see from Organizer and Vic's response to my posts on the WAC board) -

Since the information will be complied by us and placed on our WEB SITE - they will consider the information bogus - no matter if it is directly linked from the Legislative Auditors site or some other 3rd party -

Remember we are the INFIDEL -

However, it would be a good addition to the site, if solely for the purpose for easy access to our fans to USEFUL information we all wonder about from time to time -

I agree Dwayne, I made a post on the SBC forum recently because the following things had been said about Tech, The thread was titled "What is up with Louisiana schools" or something like that. In that thread many things were "pointed out." What follows are the comments made along with my CURRENT understading of the truth.

a) Tech has not paid its WAC entrance fee.

--last I "heard" this was paid by an alum, however I presented it as such ... not as FACT.

b) because of this Tech is not collecting on any revenue sharing in the WAC

--I am not certain about this but if part A is paid for then revenue sharing would follow. Are the two even related? Besides, if we make money when we travel to the WAC tourney, I don't see how we are NOT getting revenue sharing.

c) Tech's budget shortfall was $300,000 AGAIN (to imply that we CONSISTENTLY fall short by this amount)

--Until this audit, we were in the black every season for the past few years ... and the current shortfall is LESS THAN $300,000. Yeah, the situation is not good but lets not blow it out of proportion.

d) The taxpayers of Louisiana are angry about state funding of non-LSU athletic departments.

--While this may be true, their "proof positive" was a single editorial in the Lafayette paper. In that case I see ONE person who is angry about taxpayer money that he can hardly PROVE is being used for athletics. The real truth of the matter is the grounding for the editorials gripe was based on the fact that LSU was self supporting and thus we should be too. NOTHING about the taxpayer investment in LSU was included nor were athletics fees and other income that could be part of GF trasnsfers considered. It is anger based on a LACK of understanding.

e) Another post compared our budget to the other WAC budgets and concluded based on THAT ALONE that there is some Enron style magic going on with our "numbers" ...

You are right. Folks will believe what they WANT to believe. It doesn't hurt to supply them with evidence that is at least difficult to try and spin. Truth has a good way of being difficult to get around. Numbers that ADD UP are hard to argue with. Look .... some folks have legitimate gripes. In that case, I want this information out for US to see so we can try to pinpoint what it is WE can do to fix it.

To me the biggest problem Tech has is a LACK of information outflow from the administration to the ALUMS and to the general populous of Louisiana. The ONLY reason I know what is going on with Louisiana Tech is becasue I READ THIS BOARD.

Unfortunately, there are now some headless chickens running around with their new found "facts" about Louisiana Tech, none of which are true. Those same facts will rear their ugly heads in the future .... say around ... October, November.

I know ... speaking to the choir ...

One more thing.... I want to compile our records against common opponents again. I also want comparisions to similar well thought of schools included.

Tech vs WAC
    vs non-BCS
    vs BCS
    vs 1-AA

etc

Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    a) Tech has not paid its WAC entrance fee.

--last I "heard" this was paid by an alum, however I presented it as such ... not as FACT.

b) because of this Tech is not collecting on any revenue sharing in the WAC

--I am not certain about this but if part A is paid for then revenue sharing would follow. Are the two even related? Besides, if we make money when we travel to the WAC tourney, I don't see how we are NOT getting revenue sharing.
    I can answer both of these points for you -

Per Jim Oakes himself - we owe ONE more payment on the WAC fee it will be paid off by 2004 - we agreed to pay the $600,000 out over a 3 year period when we joined the WAC - no wealthy alumnus picked up the tab and we DID NOT raise enough money at the "Happening" or with the "Loyalty Campaign" to fully pay off this debt -

He also stated that we still owe alittle over $1 million on the new fieldhouse - when we opened the doors in the fall of 2001 - we owed almost $2 million - so we are cutting out this debt as quick as possible also -

As far as the WAC revenue distribution - the audit report speaks for itself - we got the money and we spent the money - atleast over $700k - now whether they withheld our WAC payment out of the money is another story - but we still recieved the $700K

The main thing we have got to face is that - the Organizer, Vic and others just have a hard-on for us and that's how they get thier jollies - its as simple as that...

As long as our audits com back with a clean bill of health from the Legislative Auditors office, I'm satisfied with the numbers - because these this office finds no greater pleasure than finding FINDINGS north of I-10 (85% of all findings historically) and the mentality out there is that if GSU and nlulm are having problems TECH is bound to have them also -

+ Reply to Thread