+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech Student Killed in Accidental Shooting

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    A female Tech student was accidently shot at 3:00 this morning by another Tech student who was playing with a gun. Our prayers need to be with all involved.

Big Dog SpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the roughSpaceDawg is a jewel in the rough SpaceDawg's Avatar
    http://www.thenewsstar.com/update/1047486821.shtml

Tech student killed; ULM student in custody

Posted on March 12, 2003

A 19-year-old Louisiana Tech University student was shot and killed early this morning at a residence on Highway 146 west of Vienna.

Lincoln Parish deputies believe the death of Jennifer Lynne Patty of Shreveport was accidental, however, Edward Roy Foster, 23, of Newellton, was arrested in connection with the shooting.

Foster, a senior at the University of Louisiana at Monroe, is in the Lincoln Parish Detention Center, accused of negligent homicide.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute
    As a parent on college kids, this is a parents worst nightmare, the phone ringing at 3 am.

My prayers and thought are with those involved.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    This is horrible and my prayers are also with the families of all involved.

Now, I have to make one comment that may seem a bit distasteful right now, but it really bothers me. Was it necessary for the press to label this article as such?

At first glance, I think that some upset ULM student walked into the residence of a Tech student and in an angry rage shoots her.

The two schools already despise each other as it is. Leave the title as "Tech student killed in accidental shooting." IMHO the school of the victim is important as it would cause students who knew her to glance at the article where they might not have if Tech wasn't mentioned. However, that is not exactly relevant information for the shooter. Also, the accidental part is VERY RELEVANT and should be in the title.

This is a horrible tragedy and I would much prefer that it be presented as such. I think the title wording is poorly chosen and is pouring salt in a different wound at a totally inappropriate time. These are journalists. They are supposed to think of these things.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    This is horrible and my prayers are also with the families of all involved.

Now, I have to make one comment that may seem a bit distasteful right now, but it really bothers me. Was it necessary for the press to label this article as such?

At first glance, I think that some upset ULM student walked into the residence of a Tech student and in an angry rage shoots her.

The two schools already despise each other as it is. Leave the title as "Tech student killed in accidental shooting." IMHO the school of the victim is important as it would cause students who knew her to glance at the article where they might not have if Tech wasn't mentioned. However, that is not exactly relevant information for the shooter. Also, the accidental part is VERY RELEVANT and should be in the title.

This is a horrible tragedy and I would much prefer that it be presented as such. I think the title wording is poorly chosen and is pouring salt in a different wound at a totally inappropriate time. These are journalists. They are supposed to think of these things.
    "Accidental Shooting Claims Life of Tech Co-ed" would have been much better -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    From the accounts I have read, this was a terrible act of negligence. It violated every gun safety rule there is. There was absolutely no way this should have happened. Just so, so sad.

+ Reply to Thread