+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crazed Grenade Roller Had Ties to Baton Rouge

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Family: Soldier accused in grenade attack respectful person
    By CAIN BURDEAU
    The Associated Press
    3/23/03 10:46 PM

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- A U.S. soldier accused of throwing grenades into tents at a 101st Airborne Division command center in Kuwait was a "respectful" person, his former stepfather said Sunday.

Sgt. Asan Akbar of the 326th Engineer Battalion is accused of killing a fellow serviceman and wounding 15 other soldiers, including the division commander. He has not been charged with a crime.

"He had always been a respectful young man," said William Bilal, reached by phone at his home in Baton Rouge, La., Sunday night.

Bilal, 53, said he was married to Akbar's mother, Quran Bilal, for five years before they divorced. During that period, the family lived in Baton Rouge and Akbar went to Capitol Middle School, Bilal said.

The grenade attack occurred early Sunday at Camp Pennsylvania, the rear base for the 101st near the Iraqi border. The 101st is based at Fort Campbell, Ky.

Asked if he felt Akbar was resentful toward the military, Bilal said racism against blacks is rampant in the military and that his youngest son left the Air Force because of that.

He said he did not want to talk about the allegations against Akbar until after he speaks with his lawyer Monday.

"I don't want to go into too much detail right now, I'm being prayerful," he said. "I want to sleep on it."

He added: "I want to speak from the heart, not about who's right but about what's right."

A woman who said she is Akbar's mother, Quran Bilal, told The Tennessean of Nashville that she was concerned her son might have been accused because he is a Muslim, adding he was not allowed to participate in the first Gulf War because of his religion.

"He said, `Mama, when I get over there I have the feeling they are going to arrest me just because of the name that I have carried,"' Bilal told the newspaper for a story published on its Web site Sunday night.

She said in a telephone interview from Baton Rouge that the military had not contacted her and expressed disbelief in the accusations against her son, who she said spells his first name Hasan.

"He wouldn't try to take nobody's life," she said. "He's not like that. He said the only thing he was going out there to do was blow up the bridges."

William Bilal said he is a devout Muslim active at mosques in Baton Rouge.

"People should turn their hearts back to God," he said. "I'm at a point where God is in control and will always be in control," he said.

He said he met Akbar's mother in Baton Rouge, where she was born and raised.

He was critical of the war in Iraq, but said it may be a "blessing in disguise" because "difficult times bring out the best in us."

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    No need to take shots at Baton Rouge right now. I have lived here most my life and this is the most difficult time to be a BR resident. Please ... leave it at that. I am sure if Ruston had 600,000 residents in their metro area there would be an equivalent number of kooks.

While you are at it, Tech fans might also want to thank the Baton Rouge metro area for Cangelosi, Simon and several others that we are glad we had in a Louisiana Tech uniform.

GO DAWGS!!! GO SERIAL KILLER TASK FORCE!!! GO AWAY KOOKS!!!

Thanks ... CHC

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Title is edited.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    No need to take shots at Baton Rouge right now. I have lived here most my life and this is the most difficult time to be a BR resident. Please ... leave it at that. I am sure if Ruston had 600,000 residents in their metro area there would be an equivalent number of kooks.

While you are at it, Tech fans might also want to thank the Baton Rouge metro area for Cangelosi, Simon and several others that we are glad we had in a Louisiana Tech uniform.

GO DAWGS!!! GO SERIAL KILLER TASK FORCE!!! GO AWAY KOOKS!!!

Thanks ... CHC
    AMEN! I'm sick of hearing about what crazies have ties to here about now. I've been waiting for them to say that Elizabeth Smart's weirdo captor grew up here - seems like every other criminal has passed this way of late!

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Why are all the nuts coming out of the woodwork of Red Stick now though? Never had this problem before.

Two more years. Two more years till I get my degrees and I can blow this joint and all the nuts and loonies that inhabit it! Then I hightail it back to the boonies of North Louisiana where it's safe!

Seriously, though, I love Baton Rouge. Despite all it's shortcomings, it's a great town. But I just don't understand where all these crazies and all this "negative energy" is coming from. Hopefully, they can isolate the nut problem while isolating all the other problems they are fixing about this city right now.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    I could go into a VERY LONG post about the problems of Baton Rouge but I won't .... I will sum it up in three quick hits.

1. Baton Rouge Public Schools and the deseg case, bussing problem
    2. Everyone drives, no public transportation (fault of how BR grew during the 70's and 80's)
    3. Everyone stays inside in the afternoons (heat, humidity, telivision and Sony Playstation)

= no folks getting to know each other = no community around the schools = apathy

Remember, folks are lazy and if it requires painful effort to get to know folks, they won't. If you want to foster community you need to get them together as painlessly as possible. That used to be what the schools did ... and sorry Tiger fans, 80,000 folks getting together 7 times a year is not community.

The best thing that could happen in Baton Rouge is for the school system to continue to fragment into multiple school systems and for the deseg case to finally get resolved. When we have local schools, we will have community. Until then, expect it to get worse.

+ Reply to Thread