+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Approach to War - Part 2 of our Messages on War

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    As promised here is part 2 of my notes from this morning's message.

The Approach to War
    Dr. Tommy G. Middleton, Pastor Woodlawn Baptist Church, Baton Rouge
    April 13, 2003

This is the second of a two part series on war.

I. The Reality of War
    A. A Time of War, Ecclesiastes 3:8
    B. The Times of War, Matthew 24:4-6
    C. The Termination of War, Micah 4:3, Psalm 2:9
    II. The Reluctance about War – Death is unavoidable, collateral damage is also unavoidable – bad things happen in war
    A. Famine, Jeremiah 14:15, Isaiah 51:19
    B. Pestilence (disease), Jeremiah 27:13, 28:8
    C. Cruelty, Lamentations 5:11-14, Jeremiah 18:21 – We have the Geneva Convention but that is not a guarantee of civility in war – its uninforcable.
    D. Devastation, Isaiah 1:7
    III. The Restriction (4 biblical personal exemptions from service) for going to war, Deuteronomy 20:5-8, Deuteronomy 24:5
    A, The 4 areas of personal exemption are:
    1. Unharvested fields (note famine is a problem in war – that doesn’t mean to go plant new ones.
    2. Undedicated houses – new homes that have not been completed and dedicated to God – just not the time to go start a new one – can complete one in progress
    3. Unconsummated Marriage – were not to leave an engagement until it was consummated and they’d lived as husband and wife for one year. Do not get married on your way out the door to war.
    4. Unwilling warriors – if you don’t want to go to war.
    B. The Battlefield is:
    1. No place for personal distractions and preoccupation. 2 Timothy 2:4, Judges 7:3
    2. Requires a sense of mission and resolve, Joshua 1:5-6.
    IV. The Resolve in War
    A. Deliberate, Proverb 11:14; Proverb 15:22;Proverb 20:18 – War is a last resort not a first response.
    B. Defined course of action, Joshua 1:3-5, Deuteronomy 20:10-18 – Purpose, Victory and Peace are all defined in plan of action.
    C. Determined, Luke 14:31-32 – If you start something, finish it correctly.
    V. The response of the Nation In a Just War
    A. Serve, Nehemiah 4:18, Romans 13:4
    1. Send/go
    2. Support
    B. Pray
    1. Our Leaders – that they would have wisdom (see it from God’s perspective), Courage, Honesty, Humility, Integrity – 1 Timothy 2:1-3, Proverb 25:4-5 – pray for President’s advisors as well.
    2. Our Soldiers: Heroism – Courageous, compassionate, humility (no gloating); Joshua1:6-7.
    3. Our Enemies; Jushua 2:9, Matthew 5:44
    4. Our nation – 2 Chronicles 7:14, Psalm 127:1, Psalm 121:1-4 – Prayer, Repentance, and Humility make and keep a nation strong.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    This one definitely left me with some questions - especially about the 4 personal exemptions for war. I've gotta ask him about the "unwilling warrior" personal exemption. I know Guideon dismissed 10,000 warriors simply because they did not want to fight - I'm wondering about the timing. What is the timing on that? I'm thinking you shouldn't join if you aren't willing to serve. The guy in Nevada in the reserves who was ordered to go and suddenly was a conscientious objector I don't get - that could lead to some problems. They didn't make him go and he was going around encouraging others to take the same action. They didn't do anything to him, but I think he ought to be sitting in a brig serving hard labor somewhere about now.

The marriage thing I also found interesting - I know when they had the National Guard callups around here, there were plenty of quick marriages. Obviously that's less than ideal, but I didn't know the Bible had anything to say about it - guess I've never had the need to know to study that one out.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of
    I think this points mostly to the danger of looking at various stories to try to piece together an ethic. It just has the feel of using the Bible as a jigsaw puzzle rather than really trying to get its core message.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    That's an interesting point TDMc. It is indeed a fallacy to start with a particular opinion and then employ carefully selected verses to justify it.

But do you really get that impression from this preacher's outline? I cant say that I do. Please qualify your assertion. Some Bible verses that describe war as always bad, no matter what, would be helpful.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of
    I'm mostly bothered by the way he comes up with "exemptions" I'd say. Overall, it's pretty tough to tell exactly what he's arguing for just based on the outline.

I wouldn't argue that you can make a clear case for or against war directly from scripture. Jesus' teaching on non-violence is certainly pretty strong, but even very early Christians didn't interpret that as a clear prohibition of military service or war.

My biggest concern isn't so much with his views but with how similar ideas are often used. For instance, is a war a "just war"? It seems to be very difficult for conservative Christians (of which I are one) to ever conclude that a war is "unjust" -- unless, of course, Bill Clinton is president. Yet his outline seems to assume the justice of the war.

Perhaps you should go back and look at last week's message (Part 1) which described the difference between a just and unjust war. It was described - and yes, he does/did say this is a just war.

Also, in last week's message he answered some questions I had concerning the difference between personal retribution (not allowed) and a nation going to war to remedy a problem. I posted those notes last Sunday - forgot the title.

+ Reply to Thread