+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cedar Creek student's take on LSU

Varsity Bulldog Tech74 is an unknown
    I have it from a very reliable source that the consensus about LSU of those Cedar Creek students participating in this year's State Social Studies Fair at LSU is that LSU is not good. One participant, with whom I am very familiar, had a reference to Louisiana Tech. This was commented upon, negatively, by the judge from LSU. Two years ago, another participant, again one who I know quite well, told me of two of his buddies whose project was castigated by an LSU judge because of its subject matter, not its execution or analysis. Although this is an unscientific sample size, I believer that it is indicative of a growing perception of LSU by the Louisiana high school intelligensia.

Vive la revolution!

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Interesting. I went to Cedar Creek myself (I'm at LSU now) and I went to state Science Fair and Social Studies Fair, and I certainly don't remember any negative comments by the judges on my projects. Now, I didn't win anything, but the kids who did win in my group had projects that were just flat out better than mine. One year, our best student did get screwed however. He was doing a project on his four year study of Pythagorean triples, and he had data on his project that he had used in previous fairs. The judges at Regionals gave him 1st Place in Mathematics division and 2nd overall. The judges at LSU disqualified him for using that research because they said using "old" research is a breach of rules. Our science teacher heard this and went absolutely ballistic. Since there was, to my understanding, no rule against using previous project research, they got him reinstated. But he didn't win or place, and he was convinced he was robbed, and I couldn't argue with him. But we let it go. One year, we did have a kid do a great science project and he won the overall state championship as a freshman! My brother also did a science project and he went to state a couple of years back. Science project is a little different ball game than social studies however.

Were the negative comments about the judges, or LSU as a whole? Seriously, I'd like to know, since I know TWO of my professors were judging the state social studies fair and since I went to Cedar Creek, I have more than just a passing interest in this.

+ Reply to Thread