+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I the only one wondering....

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Mem ... I think you're confusing the issues here. That particular challenge was directed to anti-abortionists.

The percentage of people that inherit the money is very small in comparison
    Agreed ... But there are other ways to inherit advantage than just a cash sum, ya know ... Still, the number of folks that abuse the inheritance system probably arent any more than those that abuse the welfare system.

most folks that have money have busted their asses to make that money
    True. But my point is that most folks that bust their asses still dont have anything to show for it.

AND WHO GIVES A SHIT ANYWAY!!!
    I would think that someone who values work would.

went into careers where you can make what you EARN!!!!!!
    Hey ... if dollars are what make you happy, go get 'em big boy! I'm just tired of hearing Righties emote about their lofty Christian values and then turn around and puff their chests about how loaded they are. Do you wanna be like Jesus? Or do you wanna be rich?

If you don't like the situation that you're in... You are FREE to change it, yourself!!!!
    You make it sound so simple. And from your point of view, I'm sure it appears that way.

Let's say 100 youths living in poverty all decide to improve their situation in life. All 100 work equally hard (legally, too). Yet after 5, 10, or 20 years, only 5 have raised themsleves from ghetto life. Then you see those 5 and assume they must have been the only ones of the 100 who worked hard. The system works! Hooray! (But in fact there are 95 others for which equally hard work didnt do diddly.)

"Hard work = success" is a self-perpetuating myth. If someone isnt successfull, you just figure they havent worked hard.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    "Still, the number of folks that abuse the inheritance system probably arent any more than those that abuse the welfare system. "

How does one abuse the inheritance system? By trying not to let the government steal everything their parents worked for?

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    If people keep telling the 100 that hard work does NOT equal success and they are stupid and the white man hates them, etc, etc, etc... None of them will work hard to begin with, due to all the negativity that they are having preached to them, by Democrats and so called "leaders of the community"!!!!

It is an idiotic statement to say that hard work=success is a MYTH!! To answer your point re. most that work hard don't have anything to show for it... Some people are stupid!!! We are all given the ability to make choices!!

The bottom line is that Gov't supporters can't keep growing the gov't programs if they don't have the "sheep" to keep voting them in the powerful offices!! Therefore, you must keep telling them, how terrible their life is, they have NO chance whatsoever, EVEN if they do the right thing and work HARD!!! Liberal Democrats and the bloated Gov't programs are the answer to all the poor's problems... BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curious, have you ever worked in the private sector?? You may have stated before but I don't recall...

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Some people are stupid!!!
    OH! Now I understand! You have to be a hard worker AND smart to succeed.

We are all given the ability to make choices!!
    Are you 100% confident that given someone else's circumstances, you would have made the same choices?

Gov't supporters can't growing the gov't programs if they don't have the "sheep" to keep voting them in the powerful offices!!
    And Corporate America cant keep inflating their bottom lines if they dont have the sheep to exploit for their labor with false promise of "hard work= success".

you must keep telling them, how terrible their life
    I dont think anyone living in poverty needs to be reminded that it sucks.

Liberal Democrats and the bloated Gov't programs are the answer to all the poor's problems
    No ... Christian love and charity is the answer to the world's problems. But since "conservative Christians" offer little beyond lip-service to the poor, the government had to step in. It really is a shame the the govt has to do the Church's job. It's much less efficient, I know! But it was Christians that dropped the ball first.

As for a vast Demo conspiracy to keep the poor poor in order to buy political clout ... I can neither confirm nor deny that. Have to say it wouldnt surprise me. I dont trust either party.

But if the "conservative Christians" REALLY wanted to shrink govt, they would work to eliminate the need by providing social services themselves, in their own communities and churches. Sure, most congregations will host a Scout Troop or AA circle. But soup kitchens, shelters, couseling, and job training are rarely found outside of a few inner city churches with dwindling congregations.

I bet Temple Baptist would never condescend to offer rehab support to a crack addict from SE Ruston. Or provide food and a safe home for her children. Of course not. All those services are available from the govt. And "conservative Christians" NEED those programs to justify their indifference. Just as (you assert) Demo's need them for votes.

Funny thing about your private sector question ... there's no right answer. If I say I have worked / do work in the provide sector, you say I'm just resentful because I failed (probably due to lack of hard work). If I say I've never worked the private sector, you can just write me off for having no idea what I'm talking about.

So let me just say ... my criticisms of corporate America and the "Christian Right" arise from a familiarity, not an ignorace, of their institutions.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    The good Lord helps those who help themselves or in the words of Jerry McQuire "Help me help you"

The good Lord helps those who help themselves
    That's not in the Bible.

I didn't say it was.

Are you trying to put words in my mouth!!!

That's not acceptable on this forum!!!!!!!

Uhhhhh ... ok. :?

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memdawg
    It is an idiotic statement to say that hard work=success is a MYTH!! To answer your point re. most that work hard don't have anything to show for it... Some people are stupid!!! We are all given the ability to make choices!!
    Interesting take. Do not tell me, that you don't know hard working poor people, though.

I did like your success story, and hats off to you. Hell, that's the way it OUGHT to be. It SHOULD happen like that, and WAY more often than it does.

I fully believe that the government of this country does too little to promote and foster middle class sucess stories -- folks "making" it -- and takes (taxes) away from them at an unfair clip -- in an effort to appease/satisfy the people who REALLY DO matter to the gov't (i.e. the top one percent of the top one percent of the people in this nation that REALLY have money.

If things so as I hope, when I retire in 30 or so years, I should be doing okay. Well within that top statistical 1 percent. (hell, all I want is a motor home to follow the Dawgs/Saints around, and I'd be happily retired )

BUT, realistically, no matter how financially well off I am, or can dream to be -- I'll be statistically a whole hell of a lot closer to the working poor proletariat than I will be to the privilaged few who run this country.

You mentioned folks making choices. Let me pose this question.

Did you choose to attend Tech? I mean, REALLY, did you sit down and decide you needed to go to college?

Or, was it EXPECTED of you from the get-go?

I always knew I was going to college. It wasn't an option. (More like: Boy, get your ass up to Ruston and don't come home till you learn something. )

Now, hypothetically, what if you were blessed with the same intellect, same potential, same work ethic, even, as you have now. BUT neither the importance nor necessity of education was instilled in you by your folks.

Where'd you be? Would you be stupid and lazy?

And, one more little thougt.... Every one of us went to the best state school in Louisiana. But, think about that -- say it out loud -- state...school...

Welfare. By the most literal definition of the word. Plain and simple.

And who among us has not benefited from it?

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    I didn't say it was.

Are you trying to put words in my mouth!!!

That's not acceptable on this forum!!!!!!!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Damn Turbo,

You guys like to throw out so much tripe that you try to cloud the entire issue!! What Champ967 said that got my goat was that it is a myth that hard work doesn't pay off... That's total and complete BS... The folks that I know the best, that worked hard has hell and don't have a huge gold mine to retire on, is my parents(Teachers)... But, we were "rich" in many other areas... You bet your rear end!!! My mom and dad taught the value of right and wrong... Work hard!!!

I'd most likely be fat(already there) and lazy!!

They did not force me to go to Tech, but it was either Tech, LSU, or Pepperdine(don't ask me, they lost to NC State that year,'83, on their march to the NC in bball and I sent them my info!!) Both parents went to Tech as, has my whole family, except for my sis...

To your point about being closer to the poor side than the rich... I'm with you... I am only one bad month away from the poor house... In Dec, I lost 60% of my income, due to one company leaving Memphis... I am now happy to say that I am damn close to recapturing that income and going to grow well beyond it... It was very scary in Jan, Feb, etc... But, I find that I thrive on fear of failure!! It is the normal business cycle, that I am very prepared to go thru, as a total commission salesman...

The problem that I have with folks like Hillary, is that she claims to be for the poor, downtrodden, etc and could give a rats ass about them, as long as she gets to stay in her almighty position of power... There are examples in both parties, but many more on the Dem side... Quick expample... Clinton, Newt, and Bob Livingston, all did about the same thing... For the good of the country, and their party, Newt and Bob resigned... You know the rest of the story...

Champ967 needs to come to our church in Memphis, Hope Presbyterian and see all the dang outreach groups there are... There's one for former "communist, lesbian, convicts" (that stays full by the way !!!!)... I think that the traditional church is changing very much, or being forced to... This church is much like a non denominational church and very different from any that I ever attended growing up... They are popping up, all over the place... I agree with Champ, that the responsibility is the churches and not the govt... GWB tries to say as much, but there goes dumbass Barry Linde and his group bitching about sep of church and state!!! We were founded on Christian principles for christ's sake... Boy I'm rambling!!

I do love your desire to tool around in a Motor Home when you give up the working gig!!! That is also a major goal of mine!!!

Mem, I'm glad to know that your church is answering the call. There's a Presbyterian Church in downtown LR that also actively ministers to non-members.

GWB tries to say as much ... sep of church and state
    W. has the right idea. The problem is that the impetus for change has to come from the church, not the govt. Instead of the govt funding church work, it should be the church looking after (what has become) govt work. And, in the long run, eliminating the need for govt invovlement.

We were founded on Christian principles for christ's sake...
    They werent important enough to be mentioned in the Constitution.

What Champ967 said that got my goat was that it is a myth that hard work doesn't pay off
    Yeah, of course hard work can build character that modern society is sorely lacking. The myth is that hard work necessarily leads to $$$. But billions of hard working people around the world dont lack character ... they lack FOOD! (and medicine, shelter, etc). And NO amount of hard work is going to change that for them.

But to say that hard work always equates to fine character is equally flawed. You can think of plenty of scumbags who work hard. Crack dealers, telemarketers, used car salesmen, some lawyers ... you get the idea. They all work hard, though!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Do you wanna be like Jesus? Or do you wanna be rich?
    Champ wrote.

Champ, go easy or we won't be able to eat free at the tailgates this year! However, you can point out that Jesus fed the masses and that feeding the poverty-level lefties is the Christian thing to do!
    I just put a little over $300 on Champs and football tickets on my Tech mastercard at the Tech athletic department's shopping site.
    That officially cleans out everything I brought in selling pride pins. Nearly half the pins were bought by BB&B members and the rest by other fans at the game sites.
    Even at my wage rate, I donated a lot more in time than the pins brought in. But it was a lot of fun doing it.
    I met a lot of people and like nearly all of them. Sort of like the time I spent this winter and spring organizing my neighborhood to resist the developers who are about to fill and pave over a bunch of wetland in the Town Branch Neighborhood.
    Please check out the latest addition to Language Lane on aubunique.com and let me know the items you disagree with. That goes under pawlitics, too, I suppose.

+ Reply to Thread