+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tulane Presidents letter to the 52 non-BCS schools

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    Letter to Non-BCS University Presidents

June 12, 2003

As you probably know, Tulane University recently completed an exhaustive review of its athletics department. The purpose of this year-long study was to determine what type of intercollegiate athletics program was in the best long-term interests of the university given the changing landscape of Division I intercollegiate athletics and the academic mission, goals and resources of Tulane University.

After much study and discussion, the Board of Tulane decided this week to re-affirm its commitment to the continuation of intercollegiate athletics at the Division I level. But in doing so the board adopted the enclosed resolution calling for us to operate an athletics program that is a model in terms of academic performance and graduation rates, is financially viable on a sustainable basis and supports the academic mission and goals of the university.

This resolution also calls for Tulane to join with other universities to seek system-wide change in a number of areas. These changes will be impossible without the full participation of my fellow university presidents, who are dedicated to operating an athletics program consistent with the values, mission and aspirations of their institutions. I am writing this letter to ask your help to:

- aggressively work to alter the BCS arrangement to minimize, if not eliminate, its adverse impact on Division I-A intercollegiate athletics

- join with other schools to request that the NCAA adopt policies and procedures that support higher academic standards

- ask the NCAA to reconsider the appropriateness and cost implications of the Division I-A membership criteria adopted last year that will go into effect in 2004

I hope these are goals shared by all of us. As I have said many times over the last year: the athletics review we conducted is not only about sports and finances. It is about the proper role of intercollegiate athletics at an institution of higher learning.

I will host a teleconference on July 22 at 3 p.m. (CT) to begin a dialogue on these important issues and attempt to develop some strategies to address them. NCAA President Myles Brand has agreed to join us throughout our discussions and will try to join us for our teleconference as well. Please let me know if you plan to take part in the teleconference by completing the enclosed form and faxing it to (504) 865-5202.

I look forward to discussing these crucial matters with you. If, in the meantime, you would like to speak to me personally please call me at (504) 865-5201 or e-mail me at scowen@tulane.edu

Sincerely,

Scott S. Cowen

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Welcome to the board!

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    I saw on the CUSA board that their dislike of the BCS is equal to or greater than ours. There were even posts suggesting that all non BCS schools refuse to play BCS teams and one suggesting that all the non BCS teams scheduled to play BCS teams the first game of the season just not show up for the game which would throw the entire TV world into chaos. These may be a bit drastic, though I would love to see it. But I also saw where the Tulane President already has 33 presidents lined up for his July 22nd conference call. I wonder if it would be possible for the non BCS conference boards to poll their memberships concerning the proposal to control and/or elminate the BCS and submit these results to the Tulane President before the conference call. I know the fans are kind of the forgotten commodity in all of this, but it couldn't hurt.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    Not a bad idea for an "OleDawg" For whatever it's worth, put me down for a big fat "Nay" when it comes to the BCS. I particularly agree with this quote from Mr. Cowen's letter, "- aggressively work to alter the BCS arrangement to minimize, if not eliminate, its adverse impact on Division I-A intercollegiate athletics." Adverse is too small a word.

On another, and political, note, this could be Reneau's chance to get in good with the Tulane boys and discuss the possibility of becoming conference mates with them if any big shakeup occurs. They have always opposed us being in the same conference with them, but if Reneau openly supports this movement and is active in making something happen, then they would probably mellow out a little and "scratch out backs" when it came to conference alignment. Their fans still wouldn't like it (especially when we started kicking them around) but politics is a way of life in La.

The whole BCS fiasco was the brain-child of the addle-brained Roy Cramer anyway. It's undoing is long overdue.

Varsity Bulldog Tech74 is an unknown
    Straydawg wrote:

"On another, and political, note, this could be Reneau's chance to get in good with the Tulane boys and discuss the possibility of becoming conference mates with them if any big shakeup occurs. They have always opposed us being in the same conference with them, but if Reneau openly supports this movement and is active in making something happen, then they would probably mellow out a little and "scratch out backs" when it came to conference alignment."

Certainly a good idea. I just don't view Tulane's ATHLETIC administration as one which can lower itself to associate with us. They might want to use us and then pretend they never met us. Maybe the ACADEMIC administration will be more collegial.

But, Reneau needs to be at every meeting, no matter where and no matter how small or big. This is where he can show off his political skills in a major arena, not just at the Bd. of Trustees.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    Maybe DFM or Big Mick or somebody could let us know if Tech is on board for the conference call.

+ Reply to Thread