+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we upset?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    A WAC fan suggested that Tech and UTEP should be upset that the Baltimore Six: Army, Navy, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa, and SMU met secretly at the airport to discuss a possible new league. So, what does Oakes and Reneau have to say, if anything, about the meeting and the prospects?

HD, have you spoke with Oakes about this? If not, can you?

Dwayne, any insight into this matter?

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    The follow up would be:

If we ARE upset, are we upset at these schools or at ourselves for not doing more in recent years to be in a better position to deal our OWN program?

TDF

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    I DO NOT want to be in a conference with perenial losers Army or Navy.

If Oaks/Reneu are not in constant contact with their counterparts at Tulsa, Rice and SMU they both should either step down or be fired. Our successful athletic future lies down the same road as our EWAC brethren. If we lose our parternship with them, we are screwed.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Do Army and Navy have baseball? Rice and Tulane would be the only schools with basebal if they do not. Don't you have to have 8 schools to have a conference? I guess they could recruit Vanderbilt and Temple.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg80
    A WAC fan suggested that Tech and UTEP should be upset that the Baltimore Six: Army, Navy, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa, and SMU met secretly at the airport to discuss a possible new league. So, what does Oakes and Reneau have to say, if anything, about the meeting and the prospects?

HD, have you spoke with Oakes about this? If not, can you?

Dwayne, any insight into this matter?
    Kindda sounds like the "airport 5" from the old WAC -

I keep being fed the bull that the WAC is going to pull Tulane, TCU/Houston or USM -

We have to be realistic about the situation - as I have said all along - unless CUSA totally implodes we are stairing straight down the barrell of a "Sunbeltesque" existence because of the actions we did not capitalize on in 1999 and 2001 -

Separation is more than deciding "not" to play certain schools - that is only percieved - you have to win, market, promote and GROW your program past the other schools in similar situations - we have done a MODEST amount of the first and none of the others -

The ONUS lies on us - the alumni/fans/supporters who have sat back and accepted the same business practices for the past 6 to 7 years...

What do we do about it - I don't know - personally, I have come to the conclusion that until things change drastically, none of my money will go to the general operating budget of the athletic department - every $1 I spend will be 100% dedicated and placed in the hands of coaches who I know will put those $$$$ to good use -

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Our biggest mistake was giving Bicknell that 5 year contract.

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    I still don't understand why Navy and Army would want to be in a conference with these teams, they would have to spend tons of $ just for the traveling expenses alone. The only thing that would make any sense having Army and Navy involved would be a conference that has a North and South division. :?:

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Because it's not their money. Any money they get from a conference is just gravy. Uncle Sam pays their way.

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    True but their athletic Dept complains about lack of budget like most other schools so if they could spend less money because of excessive travel and spend it on things like helmets, blocking dummies or whatever I assume they would be more than happy.

Big Dog Buddy1972 is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    I have come to the conclusion that until things change drastically, none of my money will go to the general operating budget of the athletic department - every $1 I spend will be 100% dedicated and placed in the hands of coaches who I know will put those $$$$ to good use -
    Dwayne, does that mean we (BB&B) won't be contributing to CHAMPS this year? Not sure where the money would be best spent, but there are lots of alternatives. Regards, Buddy.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    the big east just came out and said they want to go to 16 teams, 8 of which will play football. if syracuse and bc leaves, then the big east will be left with 5 teams that play football, they will add louisville and cincinatti and the 8th team will be either memphis, ecu, or they will keep temple.

so why are we worried about these huge 14 team conferences, when we could have tcu, smu, rice, houston, tulsa, tulane, tech, usm, utep, uab, maybe memphis. we could form a 10 or 12 team conference right here in the south. we wouldnt have west coast teams to travel to or east coast teams to travel to.

i know its difficult to start a new conference. the only other ways these teams could get together are in the wac or cusa.

cusa could lose louisville, cincinnatti, and ecu and add smu, rice, tech, and tulsa. cusa might also lose marquette in basketball. then you still have south florida, army, st. louis, unc-charlotte, and depaul lingering around.

the wac could add usm and tcu and have a 12 team conference, but the only way to get houston, tulane, uab, memphis would be for the wwac to drop out of the conference.

the best thing to do would be to start a new conference, we could add ucf and usf if we wanted to. thats the main thing, the schools involved invite who they want.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1972
    [quote:b5885062ea="Dwayne From Minden"]I have come to the conclusion that until things change drastically, none of my money will go to the general operating budget of the athletic department - every $1 I spend will be 100% dedicated and placed in the hands of coaches who I know will put those $$$$ to good use -
    Dwayne, does that mean we (BB&B) won't be contributing to CHAMPS this year? Not sure where the money would be best spent, but there are lots of alternatives. Regards, Buddy.[/quote:b5885062ea]

Buddy -

BB&B plans to honor its commitment to CHAMPS this upcoming year - and we plan to make a donation each year -

Our next level of priority is providing the children at the MCH tickets to ALL home sporting events at TECH -

After that we hope to "help" certain programs that have reached out to BB&B with certain projects -

Coach Sim is one who really wants to work with us on getting some improvemnts made at JC Love field - (he has BIG plans - brick columns and wraught iron fencing with landscaping) -

A certain member of he athletic dept has solicted our help with some changes to be made at Aillet that involves moving some of the fences back on the West Side that will allow them to have more concession room and thereby more vendors -

The basketball coaches would also like us to try and donate $2,500 to the refurbishment of the TAC floor -

Someone has also mentioned purchasing new headphone equipment for football -

I seriously dount that we will be purchasing radio advertisements this year (and this is no fault of Dave's) or print media ads this year (we weren't listed in the Okie St game program and we were left out of the basketball programs for the first month of the season) -

I will be upfront and tell you that I feel our money would probably go further with Coach Sim in getting things done and getting them done now at the lowest price - Wade, his staff and his players have done marvels with sprucing up that facility - and his work with community groups is outstanding...

I also have no problems with helping move the fences at Aillet or helping with the basketball floor -

However, due to some of the comments that have been made by several of the football coaches about this board - I do have some reservations about the headset projects - but I'm willing to do what the majority of the posters/contributors want to do...

And we are open to ANY suggestions -

A link will be posted (maybe as early as tommorrow) on how to make donations to this year's projects -

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Dwayne, a couple of questions:
    * In your discussions with coach Sim, Jim Oakes,... are there any facilities maintenance projects they would like volunteer help with this summer in lieu of financial contributions- painting, constructing vendor kiosks, or other similar projects? As you know, fans at UL-Laf, McNeese, and elsewhere volunteer their time, materials,... for weekend facilities maintenance projects. We should do the same.

* Regarding the TAC floor, didn't a BB&B poster research the cost of repainting the entire floor a few months ago? Was Jim approached with the info and if so, was he receptive?
    ________
    Homemade vaporizer
    Last edited by DogsWin; 04-18-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    "However, due to some of the comments that have been made by several of the football coaches about this board - I do have some reservations about the headset projects - but I'm willing to do what the majority of the posters/contributors want to do..."

Do you blame them??

Some people on this board thinks they are Vince Lombardi reinacarnated.

+ Reply to Thread