+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are we upset?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Not exactly a strong sign of support which is fine but don't make statements like that and then wonder or question why some people don't like BBB.

And if I didn't question this, no one else would and it would be construed as the official BBB position.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    You're exactly right and I'm glad you did question it. I believe Dwayne's opinion reflects, in financial terms from his position, what many people have been saying for a while. Show me the plan of where we are going and the roadmap of how you plan on getting there and I will support it. Coach Sim has shown his plan and Dwayne is willing to support it. If Jim, JBIII, or Dan show us the plan for doing the same in football, we'll support it. But from Dwayne's standpoint, the time of having unquestioned faith in the overall program to do this and blindly giving to Champs is over. He is stating that he will support, financially, the individual programs which meet his expectations of management and operations.

I have to commend him for being willing to stand up and make his opinions known through his financial support. He, and others, could have just stopped donating. He's found another way to continue his support, but make his opinion known in another manner.

TDF (Chris)

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    Definitely some exciting possiblitites this year for our money to be put to great use. What would be wrong with giving football, baseball and basketball 2,500k each if we meet our goal of $7,500? I like the ideal of not buying advertisment this year, they can sell that to anyone and shouldn't have a hard time finding a replacement for BB&B in that regard, then we put our money to better use on some of these projects that really need doing and wouldn't get done otherwise. I really like that. Maybe we could get a list of things next year from respective sports and approximate cost and consider all sports and not just the big 3 next year. I'm excited to see what we can get done! Let's get this thing going!

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    A certain member of he athletic dept has solicted our help with some changes to be made at Aillet that involves moving some of the fences back on the West Side that will allow them to have more concession room and thereby more vendors
    In looking at doing this, have they thought about the type of fencing to be used? If you move the fences out, they become much more noticeable and prominent, and I think plain old chain link fencing would look pretty low-rent and trashy. Some nice wought iron fencing interconnecting brick columns similar to the ones on campus would look great, and really spruce up the exterior of the stadium. As long as they are wanting to do this, they should do it right the first time.

Several years back Memorial Stadium here in Jackson had a minor facelift that involved among other things new fencing around the perimeter of the stadium and new ticket window buildings. The fencing and gates are nice, tall wrought iron and the buildings have some nice architectual details, kind of art-deco looking, and are not just the cheapest cinder block building they could throw up. The overall look of the exterior of the stadium was MUCH improved, from the simple addition of just a fence and a few small buildings.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    For an idea of what I am talking about, look in the upper right hand side of the pictures of the closed end of the Troy State's stadium.

http://www.troystate.com/constructio...ne16/index.htm

It is almost exactly what I am talking about. It has nice brick columns, wrought iron railing, and nice "pavillion" structures to add focal points. I have long thought that the fence in the north endzone looks like crap, and needs to be replaced ASAP. A fence like the one in the picture would look so much better.

If someone knows how to link one of those pictures directly sop it is viewable in the thread, feel free to do so. I couldn't get it to work.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Nathan -

From my converstaions - they just want to move the chain link fences back - nothing more...

But I agree with what you are saying - EJ, me and several others have discussed wraught-iron and brick for several years -

I do know that Wade is proactively seeking that for JC Love...

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    tech uses nothing but acme brick right now, but i will be willing to give a big discount to the athletic department if they will get their bricks locally. wade called me last year (probably his second week on the job) and asked me about how many he would need. thats the last i had heard from them.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY
    tech uses nothing but acme brick right now, but i will be willing to give a big discount to the athletic department if they will get their bricks locally. wade called me last year (probably his second week on the job) and asked me about how many he would need. thats the last i had heard from them.
    While we are at it, we need to replace the chain link fence around the football field with brick. That would do wonders for the look of Aillet Stadium.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    some brick and iron would look great. just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Nathan -

From my converstaions - they just want to move the chain link fences back - nothing more...

But I agree with what you are saying - EJ, me and several others have discussed wraught-iron and brick for several years -

I do know that Wade is proactively seeking that for JC Love...
    I figured that was all they were planning on doing. MAybe they never thought of changing over to a more architectually attractive type of fencing. MAybe someone should whicper this idea in a few ears before they start on anything. We have already found a place to get the bricks for cheap, so lets go for it.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Jay,
    How much would the brick cost for the post? The wrought iron fence comes in 8 foot sections, so, for 500 ft that would be about 54 post if they were 18 inches square. 500 ft. should do the west side. I think this could be a doable project if we can get permission.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Thanks for writing that, Clyde. I don't have to now. We don't need to be thin-skinned when the coaches and an occasional sports writer come back at us.
    We get away with saying what we want on the board. And they have a right to express themselves as well.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar
    Sounds like this is a project we could sink our teeth into. Problem is that at the current level of donations, we'll be lucky to meet our Champs Loyalty and MCH donations, much less think about projects to support!

Y'all get on the stick and help support the drive. I've you've given, thanks a million! But the list is REAL short right now!

TDF (Chris)

don, if you do 2 bricks and an end on each side thats 8 bricks per layer and 4 layers to a foot (32 bricks). if you did say 7 foot columns, thats 224 bricks per column. 54 columns x 224 = 12,096 bricks.

12,000 @ $250 (my avg cost + freight) for commercial brick to match other tech buildings. = $3000.00

You can get nice looking cheaper bricks that i could get for roughly
    $170. that would cost $2000 instead of $3000, but you want to do it right, so that would be a decision to look at.

Mortar Mix would cost roughly $500 to $600.

If you dont want hollow columns, you would need around 100-150 common bricks to fill a column. that would be: 5500 to 8000 common bricks. say -

6000 @ ~ $150 = $900

the biggest cost would be the labor. we would have to find a bricklayer to do it for a good price. even if we could get someone to do it for $300 a 1000, it would still be $3600. anyone know how to lay bricks?

Here is a good picture of what a nice fence can do for a stadium:

By the way, that is a high school stadium!! Home of the Midland Lee Rebels (TX) For some more cool pictures of several H.S. stadiums, go to http://www.houstoncougarswest.com/West_Texas.htm

+ Reply to Thread