View Poll Results: Is it a good idea for Ole Miss to change it's mascot?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

25 89.29%
  • Yes

3 10.71%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ole Miss Mascot

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    This report is from ESPN.com. This is the first I have heard of it, but I'm sure this idea will cause quite a stir among Ole Miss fans.

Ole Miss is getting rid of it's "Colonel Rebel" mascot in an effort "to distance itself from the South's Confederate past."

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0618/1570099.html

What do you think about this change? The above poll will run until Friday.

Also, do you think that the program's history matters in this case? Is this a step forward, or a step backward, or sideways? Are they doing it all for political correctness or do you believe the article when it says that the school has been "toying with the idea of change for 8 years?"

The article says they are trying to distance themselves from the Confedrate past, but in the article, the AD says they have no plans to change the mascot from "Rebels". Does this strike anyone as contradictory?

I don't have a very strong opinion on this, just curious to see what you think.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Every Ole Miss fan or alum I know thinks this is a bunch of BS (or MT if you prefer).

Especially since an ad agency in New York City will design their next logo.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    There was a battalion formed from Univ of Mississippi students, in 1861. Not a single one of them survived the war. That was 500 young men who died fighting for Mississippi and the South.

They paid for that nickname/mascot with their lives.

F**k the PC crowd.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar
    Since it seems every nickname could possibly offend somebody, somewhere in the world, I think all nicknames should be banished. Every team would have the same two (2) nicknames. When you are playing on the road you are the "Visitors" and when you are playing at home you are the "Homers". :roll1: :roll:

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    The biggest complaint with most Ole Miss folks is that the Chancellor(Robert Khayat) and AD(Pete Boone) made the decision to change without consulting any alumni, Loyalty Foundation members, students or anyone else. Once the decision to make the change was decided they had the Loyalty Foundation(boosters) to pay the 30K for the Phoenix designworks from NY to come up with a new logo. Also the AD announced this news to a single reporter from one of the Mississippi newpapers then left town on an unplanned vacation.

http://www.thedmonline.com/vnews/dis.../3ef15df5845b2

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    I agree that the Prez and AD handled it poorly. If I had been the Loyalty Foundation representative, I would have told them to stick it when they asked for the 30 Large.

I didn't know the story about the 500-man batallion of Miss. students in the Civil War. That sounds like a pretty good reason to be upset about the change.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    I think as long as they keep the same name, a new mascot might be a good idea. I don`t see why it costs that much money, but a cooler looking mascot is a good idea. None of those 500 men died for a cartoon soldier with a goofy beard.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute
    Amen D80.

Those who choose to forget history will be doomed to repeat it.

We live in a strange time, don't we? Southern people are historically known for their politeness, but we've allowed our history to be distorted, or in actuality REWRITTEN entirely. We allow ourselves to be portrayed on TV as either Jerry Springer/incestuous sickos, or Boss Hog types...and we laugh right along with them. I guarantee there's not another group of people in this country you could trash and get away with it like the media does Southerners.

Is it our own fault? I think we share the blame.

Our own population hasn't been taught enough about their Confederate ancestry to argue intelligently with groups like the NAACP, the ACLU, and other hate-mongers. We allow these groups to associate the Southern Confederacy with Nazi Germany and get away with it. They insult the Jewish survivors of the Holocaust, and the untold hundreds of thousands of poor farmers who cared little for slavery, but died for a cause they felt was nevertheless worthy of their own lives.

This whole anti-South PC situation in America disgusts me.

Bulldog hisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the earshisaw seems to have something between the ears
    Coming from a person who lives in UNION Parish, on a message board concerning a school in LINCOLN Parish, I find this sad argument somehow funny.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Good point.

And I might add, that Louisiana's TRUE state motto is:

"justice, union, confidence."

Those bastard yankees, during reconstruction, changed the motto to read: "union, justice, confidence." obviously placing "union" first.

I am disappointed that Louisiana's legislature didn't change it back some time after reconstruction ended. The real motto dates back to 1812.

You can't have "union" without "justice" and that is exactly what led to the South wanting to go its separate way in 1861.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute
    Oh the irony of it all!! LOL...

I think Union Parish was so-named because of a famous speech by Daniel Webster...nevertheless, Union or not, I'm a proud Confederate descendant here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3

We allow ourselves to be portrayed on TV as either Jerry Springer/incestuous sickos, or Boss Hog types...and we laugh right along with them. I guarantee there's not another group of people in this country you could trash and get away with it like the media does Southerners.

Is it our own fault? I think we share the blame.

Our own population hasn't been taught enough about their Confederate ancestry to argue intelligently with groups like the NAACP, the ACLU, and other hate-mongers. We allow these groups to associate the Southern Confederacy with Nazi Germany and get away with it. They insult the Jewish survivors of the Holocaust, and the untold hundreds of thousands of poor farmers who cared little for slavery, but died for a cause they felt was nevertheless worthy of their own lives.
    Good points Chuck. Probably the biggest thing we are to blame for is letting the idiot skinheads and nazi clowns use the confederate flag as a symbol of their own ignorance. Hasn't anyone ever told them that Adolph Hitler was NOT from Dry Prong, Louisiana? Someone should whisper that in their ears at the next rally. They have been successful at associating our heritage with their hatred and now states are forced to remove confederate logos from their state flags and public buildings. It is definitely a shame, but I agree that we took it too lightly for too long.

I say we take it out on the Hurricanes, what do you say?

+ Reply to Thread