+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Idea!

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar
    I have a solution for the non-BCS schools to participate in a BCS bowl, along with aligning themselves with regional co-horts:

Create three conferences from the MWC, WAC, C-USA, and the Big East leftovers. Together these conferences have 35 football playing schools. Add Navy and you have 36. Divide those 36 into three 'super-regions' and add one more BSC bowl (perferably the Cotton). Then you have the champions of two of those conferences meet in the Cotton Bowl and the other one take an at-large bid in one of the other four BCS bowls. That participate is chosen as the 'conference championship game winner' with the best BCS ranking. That way, all of the schools currently left out of the BSC still have a shot and all three of these conferences get a part of the BCS money. They have a lttle clout right now while the Big East still has a bid, but that will go away soon if we don't press for it now! If they don't let us have it, we don't schedule any BSC teams leaving them to fight over having to play Sunbelt, MAC, 1-AA schools etc....By allowing our teams to participate, they put off any renewed interest in a playoff for some time!

I would divide the teams like this:

West
    BYU
    Utah
    Hawaii
    Fresno
    Boise
    San Diego
    Wyoming
    Colorado St
    Nevada
    Air Force
    San Jose
    UNLV

South
    Tech
    SMU
    TCU
    Tulsa
    UTEP
    Tulane
    Houston
    Rice
    So Miss
    Memphis
    UAB
    New Mexico

East
    Louisville
    Cincy
    Syracuse
    Boston College
    Conn
    Rutgers
    Navy
    Army
    E Carolina
    So Fla
    W Va
    Pitt

Each one of these conferences divides up into two regions with a championship game. Another by-product would be to have a school from each of the other conferences pair up with a school from the third conference to create a home/home scheduling deal, assuring that all of the teams have the 5 home games every year. That way each school could have 8 conference games and two OOC games with a 'big money game' as your 11th, if you need it.

You also shouldn't have to worry about the basketball coupons that the current conferences share, if they all agree to split them initially and gain more for the future. In basketball you have three tie-ins to the 64 automatically giving up one (which would be a draw-back) but leaving another opportunity for an at-large.

This plan is too simple to work. 'Great minds' would screw it up!

DFIH(a not so great mind)

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    It sounds like a good plan, the only drawback would be that most of the revenue for the huge BCS payouts come from TV revenue and the TV networks would never pay big money to get 2 teams that was not in one of the powerhouse conferences. Imagine how bad the national TV ratings would be for a match up like UTEP vs Wyoming(not picking on either team but I know I would not watch it). It would be interesting however if a non BCS team ever got high enough in the rankings to get one of the at large BCS bids, imagine the fallout. :cry:

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    In theory I like the plan, but here are a few kinks that will cause it to be not quite so simple--

The Big East likely won't be losing its BCS bid anytime soon if it loses only Miami and Virginia Tech. This must happen for there to be a bid available.

The Cotton Bowl will NEVER break its tie-in with the Big 12 for anything less than hosting the mnc (mythical national championship for those who need translation) game. The Liberty Bowl would be a more likely home.

Several of the schools listed will possibly not be in Division I-A if the new requirements take effect or through budget issues. Houston, Wyoming, and San Jose State all failed to average 15,000 in 2002 home attendance. UAB and Connecticut both met the 15,000 average by less than 1,500 per game.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar
    Guys,

You are probably correct in that the Cotton Bowl is set, so let's talk to the Liberty or the bowl in Orlando, or the one in Jacksonville(you see what I mean)....Tv would buy in, if they think the match-up is BYU/Syracuse or Boston College/Air Force, which is much more likely than UTEP/Wyoming.....why wouldn't they, if they thought that 2 out of the 4 regions in the country have an interest in watching?

San Jose St should be able to get fans to come see BYU or Air Force or San Diego ST, if they can't they shouldn't be allowed to have a football team! If they fall out, then look to New Mexico St or Idaho, etc. If UAB, Houston (which I think just needs rivalries to make the turnstils sing), Conn. etc. can't get butts in the seats, then USL, Ark State, Marshall, etc....are waiting in the wings.

This thing could work, if we keep that glass half full and not half empty.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous
    San Jose St should be able to get fans to come see BYU or Air Force or San Diego ST, if they can't they shouldn't be allowed to have a football team! If they fall out, then look to New Mexico St or Idaho, etc. If UAB, Houston (which I think just needs rivalries to make the turnstils sing), Conn. etc. can't get butts in the seats, then USL, Ark State, Marshall, etc....are waiting in the wings.
    But we can't just look through rose-colored glasses at the situation.

I agree that Marshall would be a good addition for football. But of all of the other schools you listed only New Mexico State is a Division I-A lock with over 22,000 in average attendance. Idaho's attendance was almost as bad as San Jose's, and Arkansas State missed the mark by over 1,000 per game even counting their game in Little Rock. ULL averaged 15,056 in 2002, only 56 over the required figure.

If the new I-A requirements were delayed four to five years, many of the borderline programs listed would probably make the grade. But if those rules beome effective, schools that easily qualify will have a much stronger voice in any realignment negotiations. And schools that are shaky will be lucky to get invited into the room, much less have a seat at the negotiating table.

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    Some not only lack in attendance but they fall short with the other changes which all go into effect in 2004.
    [list:46dc4b8f4f]Offer an average of 76 1/2 football scholarships out of a possible 85 in a two-year period.

Fund a minimum of 200 scholarships across the athletic department or spend at least $4 million on whatever number of scholarships are offered.

Support at least 16 varsity sports, with a minimum of six for men and eight for women.

Average 15,000 in attendance for home football games. That's an average of fans in the stands, not tickets sold.

Play at least five home games against I-A foes.[/list:u:46dc4b8f4f]

+ Reply to Thread