+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Florida To The ACC???

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    There is an interesting editorial in the Ark. Democrat written by a writer for the Orlando Sintenal about why Florida should join the ACC. The writer points out that Steve Spurrier had said that FSU, Miami, and Florida should all be in the same conference when he was the Florida coach. He also points out that Florida sees themselves as an "academic" school and the ACC would improve their academic reputation being in the same conference with Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, North Carolina, and Virginia. Since Miami and FSU just joined the ACC it will be as strong as the SEC is in football and the ACC was already stronger in basketball and Florida is becoming a power in basketball. The ACC would give them an advantage in basketball. I think Louisville will be joining the Big East within 2 weeks. This senario brings up an interesting question. Where would the SEC get a 12th team if Florida left and Louisville joined the BE? :? :? :?

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    Interesting thought, but I don't see anybody voluntarily leaving the SEC. The SEC is the cash cow of college athletics.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar
    I agree, I don't see anyone leaving the SEC. Could be wrong though.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Well, with Roy Kramer no longer running the show, things could change, but I'd have to be in agreement also. I don't see things changing that much if they were to change. Florida has too many rivals in the SEC. You don't see rivals of that magnitude just thrown away and you know that if they don't meet in conference play, they're not going to schedule them OOC.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Rivals - Smivals

It's all about money. If the ACC comes up with more than the SEC, Florida is a gone goose.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    Rivals - Smivals

It's all about money. If the ACC comes up with more than the SEC, Florida is a gone goose.
    That's the point I didn't make, I guess. As it is, t.v carries Florida's rival games. I'm sure a deal would be worked that would be more beneficial to Florida to stay-maybe a bigger piece of their televised appearances. Actually, I could see these conferences working a deal with their respective schools in that each gets a bigger piece of their televised games. Boy, would you see a disparity within the conferences then. LSU is worried about getting left behind as it is. Imagine getting a bigger piece of a regionally televised game by Jefferson Pilot as opposed to a nationally televised game by ABC, CBS or NBC.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    I don't think you will ever see one team favored in the SEC. Florida, Bama, and (gulp) even lsu have been supporting teams like State, Ole, and Vandy for years. Ole Miss seems to be the only one to take the ball and run with it. I imagine the revenue sharing is the ONLY thing keeping Notre Dame out of a conference don't you? But, that is N.D.. Also, I read in one piece that Miami was actually giving up a little to go over to the ACC after refusing the new package offered by the Big East.

BTW, I would love to see a couple of SEC teams defect.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    if florida went to the acc, louisville wouldnt be a bad choice for the sec. they also might go with texas a&m, but that would mess up their divisions. they could try to steal georgia tech.

that might just be stuck with louisiana tech

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    I would be shocked if anyone left the SEC voluntarily. It is too lucrative for the schools involved.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    I agree. The SEC is just too solid for anyone to voluntarily leave. If it did happen I would think it would be Vandy or Ky looking for a basketball conference before Fla.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar
    I agree, no one will leave the SEC for the ACC. Besides, it looks like the ACC will try to get noter dame. If they don't get them, I look for Louisville to be the next target.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    There is an interesting editorial in the Ark. Democrat written by a writer for the Orlando Sintenal about why Florida should join the ACC.
    Don,

Can you provide a link to that article?

Thanks.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    I can't see Florida leaving the SEC, but wouldn't it be nice to see Cosmo Cramer's dumb BCS idea wind up biting his beloved conference in the ass?

+ Reply to Thread