+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scott Ferrell's Article....

Big Dog cberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to behold
    ..was very interesting to read. But was alarmed to find out that Rush week will be going on and those students were not being allowed to attend this game. This was not in the article but by some friends that were looking at Rush Week...here's a portion of the article:

Shreveport, though, can be a fickle sports town. So for that reason, Louisiana Tech Athletic Director Jim Oakes is taking an aggressive approach with his school's season opener against the Miami Hurricanes on Aug. 28 at Independence Stadium.

The first billboards went up on July 1. The full marketing campaign begins on Monday.

"We've got a billboard, radio, TV and print (advertising) blitz," Oakes said. "We've got 20 billboards that will be up. We plan a pretty massive marketing effort to hopefully sell out the game."

While Oakes and Tech should be applauded for their marketing efforts, it is a sad commentary on Shreveport-Bossier City sports fans that this game needs that kind of an effort.

Since 1983, Miami has won five national championships. The Hurricanes will likely begin the season in the top-five again this year. And they will certainly be the highest-ranked team to play at Independence Stadium in the modern era.

...hope it works !

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    There he goes again!!! Just little ole Jim doing a GREAT JOB!!!

May not have started as early as some wanted, but two months of saturation should be plenty...
    Now let's buy some tickets!!!!!

md

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    I emailed Scott F. to tell him that he hit the nail on the head about Shreveport sports fans and to tell him that I hope to see many more articles about the game and the teams in the days and weeks leading up to the game.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cberg
    ..was very interesting to read. But was alarmed to find out that Rush week will be going on and those students were not being allowed to attend this game. This was not in the article but by some friends that were looking at Rush Week
    Easy solution, take a day off from Rush...go to the ball game and enjoy!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    My neice is going through rush and was told that they need to be at the game.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by Memdawg
    There he goes again!!! Just little ole Jim doing a GREAT JOB!!!

May not have started as early as some wanted, but two months of saturation should be plenty...
    Now let's buy some tickets!!!!!

md
    I think 59 days prior to the game is a VAST improvement over past years -

And I think everyone KNOWS how vocal I have been on this -

I plan to tell Jim personally friday, when I give them BB&B's $1,000 loyalty donation...

Big Dog macp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nicemacp38 is just really nice macp38's Avatar
    Recruitment(politically correct name for rush) starts the day
    AFTER the game. A vast improvement I should say. So, this means all those actives should be attending the game as well. Let's hope their sororities will not have them so busy in preparations that they can't attend. I will lobby for them to be there in force!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Jim, Dan, Jack, et al... need to make a concerted effort to let the Frats and Sororities know that their presence is very much needed and even demanded in S'port... Hell, I'll buy them a keg or two if they will just come and camp out with the Katt Boys and "girls"!!! That piano is gonna be crowded!!!!!

No Clyde, you can't go thru rush at 30 something years old!!

md

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Will you buy me a keg?

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    The problem is school is not in so most of the students will miss the best home game of the year. I hope many plan to make the trip up early and watch this game, but there's no way as many will since they will have to go back home and come to school the next week to start.

OF COURSE!!! :shock:

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    MemDawg,

As long as your buying kegs, I'll tell a few people too.

There are several greek alums on this board and we could help the undergraduates involved in the greek system realize how important their attendance is.

New students will not have arrived by the time the Miami game rolls around, but students returning from last year will be getting ready for rush and will probably be in Ruston. Any greek alums on this board could call their respective houses and encourage their guys or gals to come to the game.

Offer them a keg, tell them it is a good chance to hang out with old ancient alumni. Whatever, just get them there.

Every little bit helps.

Stray,

You make too much sense to be a Powell!!! :wink:

Has you pop retired yet??

Varsity Bulldog GODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her game GODAWGSGO's Avatar
    We all have opinion, just now a days it is easier to share them

I took a line from Olddawg66 and did not realize it, I guess great minds do think a like ;-) This is a little long, so for that I apologize....

To Scott Ferrell, copied to KTBS, KSLA, & KTAL

Mr. Ferrell. Thank you.

A quick introduction--- I was born in Shreveport, graduated from Woodlawn and Tech. I have worked in college athletics since 1993 including Tech, Southern Miss, North Texas, Texas Tech, and I am now at Southern Illinois University as the Ticket Manager / Assistant Marketing Director. I follow Tech as close as anyone can from 500 miles away and read the Shreveport Times everyday on-line.

In my opinion, you hit the nail on the head, almost. “While Oakes and Tech should be applauded for their marketing efforts, it is a sad commentary on Shreveport-Bossier City sports fans that this game needs that kind of an effort.” It has been my opinion, and I have expressed it to the current (and every former) Sports Editor of The Times, that the city follows the lead of its media. The usual response I receive is that it is not the newspapers job to promote, but to report. Frankly I think that is a rule-of-thumb that was pushed aside some time ago.

Two examples: If you go to MSNBC’s website and view the College Football page, there is a link to “NBC’s Notre Dame Central.” http://www.msnbc.com/news/NOTREDAMECENTRAL_Front.asp

Is that link to report the news, or promote a college football team because it will benefit NBC? Second example, smaller scale: While I was at Texas Tech, every single baseball game (not to mention football, and men’s & women’s basketball) all three local television stations broadcasted live from the field on their 5:00, 6:00 & 10:00 news casts. Every station. Every game. Local media encouraging the public to come to the game pre-game, and then reporting from the field after the game.

Tech has always had the perception in the Ark-La-Tex of being the small college that plays good small college football. As you know, Tech went I-A in 1989, but I still talk to people in Shreveport that think Tech is in the same league with Northwestern and Stephen F. Austin. The perception is still there. Why? How? People I work with in Illinois know who Luke McCown is, they know Tech beat Alabama a couple of years ago, they know Tech is in the WAC. Yet my cousin there in Shreveport wants to know why Miami is coming to play Tech when they are in different divisions.

Last year at the Oklahoma State game I sat directly in front of a gentlemen in is late 50’s early 60’s. When the Cowboys went up by 17 in the third quarter, he told the others in his row, “I don’t mind, I went to Northwestern.” In your opinion, what will it take for the “fickle sports town” to develop a since of ownership in Louisiana Tech athletics? In your opinion, what will it take for the Shreveport media to develop a since of ownership in Tech athletics?

We all wish we had a crystal ball, or the ability to go back in time. Take a second and imagine with me what type of marketing campaign would be needed for this game if in January 1991 the leaders of KTBS, KTAL, KSLA and the Shreveport Times got together and decided; “Hey, that 48,000 people in the stadium was pretty neat. Maybe we should cover Tech a little closer. Maybe we should help promote their football and basketball games. Maybe we should treat them as if they are the only division I-A program in our coverage area.”

Maybe if the Shreveport media had positively and repeatedly reported on the only I-A football program in their coverage area since 1989, then maybe this game would not need to be promoted.

So here is my question. Is it sad commentary on the Shreveport-Bossier City sports fan? Or is it possibly sad commentary on the Shreveport-Bossier City media? After all, if the National Broadcasting Company (NBC) can do it, why can’t The Times, or KTBS, or KSLA, or KTAL?

Looking forward to your response.

Brad Pietz
    Shreveport Native
    Tech c/o ‘94

Puppy BayDawg is an unknown
    GoDawgsGo,

WOW! Great letter.

Thanks.

BayDawg in Victoria, TX

+ Reply to Thread