+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Bush may not win in 2004 ...

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    Those 16 words? ... not a chance ...

Is the Republican Party still conservative?
    http://www.nationalreview.com/28jul0...ors072803a.asp

CLINTON’S RECORD BROKEN
    George Bush has broken a Clinton record, though not one to be proud of. The Federal Register – the publication that lists all proposed and enacted federal regulations – increased to 75,606 pages in 2002. That breaks the previous record set by Bill Clinton in 2000.

You need to know that these federal regulations cost businesses (and, ultimately, the consumers) in America more than all business income taxes combined.

During 2002 Congress passed 269 new laws. During the same year regulatory agencies passed 4,167 final rules. Not one of these rules was then subjected to congressional oversight.

Federal government spending under Bush has increased at a rate faster than of any year during the Clintonista era.

George Bush has yet to veto one single spending bill.

George Bush has teamed up with congressional Democrats to pass massive spending increases in education, agriculture and other areas.

George Bush has been in office for almost three years, and has yet to recommend the elimination of one single government-spending program.

Bulldog LA_MERC_LaTech is an unknown
    Some things like this have to be taken with a grain of salt.

First, Clinton (in his 8 years of being in office) never went through any sort of traumatic events. By traumatic events, I mean, in part, September 11. Due to the happenings on that day (and almost every day from that time on), Bush has had to be concerned with how things are run. He's changing a lot of things. To change things, you have to spend money and enact new regulations.

Secondly, the Bush Administration is attempting to help the economy through spending, as well as tax cuts. With more money in the economy, the stock markets will slowly pick up (as they are SLOWLY doing). A slow increase is much better than a balloon-esque increase (see 1990's .com boom, then 2000 .com bust).

On top of this, wouldn't you WANT increased spending in Education and Agriculture?! America is near the back of the class (on a world -wide scale) when it comes to primary and secondary education. How are you going to fix a problem that is almost out of control without spending money?

I think Bush is doing a great job. He does what he says he is going to do, regardless of what others think about him. You have to admire a person like that.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_MERC_LaTech
    Some things like this have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Secondly, the Bush Administration is attempting to help the economy through spending, as well as tax cuts. With more money in the economy, the stock markets will slowly pick up (as they are SLOWLY doing). A slow increase is much better than a balloon-esque increase (see 1990's .com boom, then 2000 .com bust).

On top of this, wouldn't you WANT increased spending in Education and Agriculture?! America is near the back of the class (on a world -wide scale) when it comes to primary and secondary education. How are you going to fix a problem that is almost out of control without spending money?

We're doomed..............

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Please expand on your comment about doom!
    The way my back hurts today, I assume doom means everyone will have a gigantic backache!

Big Dog The Big Bengal isn't thought very highly of around hereThe Big Bengal isn't thought very highly of around here The Big Bengal's Avatar
    While I do think Bush is doing a good job overall, I agree that he's making some compromises that might hurt in the long run.

And as for fixing education without increasing spending, cut the fat and change the technique. Don't just throw money at it.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Ahhhh ... I can already tell it's gonna be great to have you with us, Heavy. Welcome to Paw-litics.

Get the NEA out of education
    Exactly what (do you believe) the NEA is doing? I didnt realize they had any relation to classroom instruction.

Get Uncle Sam out of education
    Fair enough. Local control over schools is certainly more fiscally efficient, no doubt. But then how do you assist underperforming schools in poor areas? And how do you ensure that schools arent teaching backwards values (racism, sexism, etc)? Who will oversee maverick school districts?

This proposal is really contradictory with your other suggestions. How do you enact any of these changes without federal oversight? Who else is gonna be responsible? Locals? States? Do you REALLY trust BATON ROUGE to reform education?

Instead of teaching kids how to develop self-esteem
    EH? Then what is the role of school sports? What other ways do you feel schools teach self-esteem? Why is that bad? Did schools discourage self-esteem back in the day?

actually go back to teaching the three R's
    If this isnt being done, then how do you explain the rapid disappearance of "non-essential" school programs like music and art? The 3 R's are always the LAST to get cut.

throw in some actual, factual American History
    It's difficult to confirm the "facts" of American history from before the 20th Century, since there are, everyday, fewer and fewer survivors of the previous era. But even if we had more first-hand accounts, how can the historical record NOT be subject to interpretation? True objectivity in history is often an unattainable ideal. Particularly when dealing with school curricula that must be presented within limited time constraints.

Stop expecting teachers to act as baby-sitters and parents
    I agree with you ... who doesnt? But the responsibility to enact this kind of sweeping reform lies squarely on PARENTS.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    I get my britches bunched up when it comes to my tax money or Uncle Sam
    You will find you are not alone on this forum. Thanks for the reply.

Query: It is said that America leads the world in educational research, but is last among developed countries to implement reforms and new pedagogical advances.

Do you think local school boards are more or less likely than the feds to experiment with breakthrough teaching methods?

Bulldog LA_MERC_LaTech is an unknown
    I would say less likely. They are going to be worried about election time more than "rocking the boat". The NEA is probably (I really don't know, so please forgive my ignorance!) an appointed position (like a cabinet member etc). Less worry about job security (I would think).

Then again, whos responsibility is it to reform education? Our founding fathers wanted a small, decentralized government. As it is now, there is a LARGE, partialy centralized government. Granted, the US is noticeably larger than it was 200 years ago, and times have changed a lot.

This was just my opinion.

Be gentle.

The NEA, I think is a teacher's "union". Or professional organization, or non-profit advocacy group, or something. Check out their site: http://www.nea.org/

Ahhhhh ... the Founders. So close and yet so far. We can play that game on another thread. :wink:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    The NEA is a national teachers union. There was at one time, and might still be, another union. I can't think of the name. At least in Louisiana there were 2 unions. It was a shame because these 2 unions worked against each other on quite a few issues. If they were one unit, they would be much more effective. I had remembered them trying to come to agreement on some issues so that they could be one union, but the last I heard (several years ago) it wasn't working too well.

If a method is found to be effective, I doubt that school boards would be reluctant in implementing the new methods. If mine was, I'd just vote against the board member in my district and try to convince others to do the same.
    In a perfect world, sure. We have a situation like this in AR. The Reverend Governor has research showing that high schools of 1,000 to 1,500 students represent the best balance of fiscal effiency and student-teacher ratio. Assuming his research is accurate, he proposes to consolidate about 15% of AR high schools.

"No dice" says the handfull of rural superindents that would lose their jobs. "Our town would lose it's very identity", they say. (Not to mention their jobs!) They call their legislators who will do anything for a contribution, and thus the State continues to be non-compliant with a court order to improve education.

But this doesnt just happen with consolidation. It can happen with any educational (or for that matter, any governmental) issue where slack-jaw hillbilly locals dont know what they want and dont know whats good for em.

Do conservatives think that small towns and local govts are immune from snitty politics? I'll maintain they are just as bad as in Washington or in state capitals. Nine times out of ten, local officials CANT be trusted to do the right thing, especially if it means going against "The same way we always done it." There has to be some accountability. If it were up to local schools boards, we'd still be segregated.

Not that state and feds are always right. (They're less efficient, no argument.) But at least they have the resources, expertise, and wherewithall to initiate positive change. Alot of local govts would never change anything, even it is was good for em. (Just see Ruston!)

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    This is a fine thread, guys. Keep it up. A lot of content in addition to opinion is being tossed in here. Thank you.

Parents mostly fail to provide basic safety and health information to their kids and the natural world is greatly ignored today in our society. In the hospital this week I was talking to someone about being scratched by the green briers and berry vines and a 20-year-old nurses' aide asked what briers are. We tried to explain. Apparently she had never walked bear-legged or barefooted in stickers or through a briar patch or even picked berries. One can't expect she would know much else about the world.
    Of course, protecting kids from nature and science is one technique of some home-schooling families, apparently, in the effort to keep thier kids superstitious and ripe for right-wing politics based on creationism.
    Why anyone would want to pretend God loves only human beings is a mystery, of course.

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    Of course, protecting kids from nature and science is one technique of some home-schooling families, apparently, in the effort to keep thier kids superstitious and ripe for right-wing politics based on creationism.
    Sometimes I just shake my head......Some of the tangents you go off on.

NTX,
    can a person study zoology in detail without seeing the relationship among species?

I ask these questions to evoke comments and answers that can enlighten me. Sorry if they aren't interesting to everyone. Is does seem obvious that many people do not want their young to be exposed to all academic areas for some reason. What is it?

+ Reply to Thread