+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ULM "accused" DUI at LSU

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    Ex-ULM head football coach Collins now intern for LSU

By CARL DUBOIS
    Cdubois@theadvocate,com
    Advocate sportswriter

Mike Collins, who resigned his position as University of Louisiana at Monroe football coach in the spring, is working as an intern in the LSU strength and conditioning program, LSU sports information director Michael Bonnette confirmed Monday.

Collins, 42, goes to trial today in Monroe on charges of driving while intoxicated and careless operation of a vehicle. He was arrested April 4 after his pickup truck crashed into a house. He resigned later that day.

Bonnette said Collins is working with LSU strength and conditioning coach Tommy Moffitt in the athletic department's weight room. "He's been around (in) June and July," said Bonnette, who had no further details on Collins' employment with the university.

LSU football coach Nick Saban was returning home from vacation Monday and could not be reached for comment. Neither could Collins, who has not been available for interviews since his resignation.

Former UL-Monroe coach Bobby Keasler, who hired Collins for assistant coaching positions at McNeese State and at UL-Monroe, said he's glad Collins is rebuilding his career. "I think he's a young coach that works awfully hard," Keasler said. "When he coached, he studied the game real hard to make sure to give his players a chance to be successful. "He worked hard in recruiting. He got good at that, being able to find guys that we could use at McNeese and up here. I hope to see him back on the field one day."

Collins worked for Keasler for seven seasons at McNeese as linebackers coach, a role he continued at UL-Monroe when Keasler became coach there in 1999. Keasler and Collins are graduates of the university, and Keasler worked there as an assistant for Collins' father before leaving for McNeese in 1990. "I promoted Mike to assistant head coach," Keasler said, "hoping when I got out he'd take over. It happened exactly like I planned it."

After three full losing seasons at UL-Monroe, Keasler resigned three games into the 2002 season. The university gave Collins the job on an interim basis and removed the interim label in November. The Indians were 3-6 under Collins.

Collins' resignation came one day before UL-Monroe's spring football game. "I think he'll do a good job at LSU," Keasler said. "He's been involved in that (strength and conditioning) before, and I hope he gets back on the field soon to be able to work with the kids."

Keasler had no comment about Collins' legal troubles. Collins' lawyer, Todd Newman, said he's confident he can convince a jury Collins fell asleep, which caused the accident. "I've got experts involved that are knowledgeable of that sort of thing," Newman said. "That's what the case is going to show. A doctor independent of this -- with no dog in the fight -- believes Mike Collins fell asleep at the wheel. That's the crux of the case."

Newman entered a plea of innocent at Collins' arraignment.
    "The standard thing is to plead not guilty if you are going to trial, unless you can reach a plea bargain," Newman said. "In this case, there was not a plea bargain. We asked to drop the DWI, because I believe we've got enough evidence and sufficient grounds to merit that."

According to a police report, Collins lost control of the truck he was driving shortly before 12:30 a.m. and crashed into a house. No injuries were reported. Collins was booked into the Richwood Correction Center but refused to be tested for drunken driving. The university held a 4 p.m. news conference later that day to announce Collins' immediate resignation.

Newman said UL-Monroe officials acted too quickly in asking for Collins to resign immediately after his accident. "If he had been the manager at Burger King, he'd still have his job," Newman said. "Any Joe Blow blue-collar worker would still have a job. If he was on the Ouachita Parish Police Jury, he'd still have a job, based on the past."

Varsity Bulldog Tech74 is an unknown
    I think the title of this thread is objectionable. There but for the grace of God go you and go I.

And with Todd representing him, he has enough of a cross to bear without snide remarks on a bulletin board.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    I guess he would have fallen asleep at the wheel. He was drunk. Everyone knows what happens when you've had too much to drink.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    I guess he would have fallen asleep at the wheel. He was drunk. Everyone knows what happens when you've had too much to drink.
    I'm sure I know, but I just can't seem to remember.

Puppy AttackDawg is an unknown AttackDawg's Avatar
    Looks like he will be a perfect fit in Baton Rogue and with the lsu crowd. It is funny how when people break the law they get upset over stuff like loosing their job. It could have been much worse people could have been killed but that is a different story. Maybe if people could follow the law they he would have nothing to complain about.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    I am glad the son of Bonnie and Pat is getting a fresh start.

dubya

+ Reply to Thread