+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LA TECH traditions (cont. from BOP tuba covers)

Puppy Techblue is an unknown
    I think you will argue just to argue.

I don't have to be a coach to know that the point of a football game is to win. Otherwise it would just be playtime for the big kids.
    Anyway you try to slice it...that's the whole reason everybody goes to the stadium..to see the team win.

It just doesn't have anything to do with cheerleaders, dancing girls, or the band. example: Rice beat Tech last year in Houston and the Rice band is...creative...but not the typical college school spirit band.

I just think it's sad that the band does so much for the school; More than anybody even knows, on top of the fact that they are just college kids trying to make it through school and they get critized and people make "suggestions" no matter what they do.

I am aware that my thoughts on this board will never change the band critics, but at least I am providing a voice in support of the BOP. Thank you tech band for doing as much as you can with what little you are provided.

J.B.
    Houston, TX

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    It sounds like the band actually needs to get to the stadium early instead of going by the president's house, etc., and eat FREE at the tailgates with the other fans, spreading out in order not to clean out all the food from any one gathering, and then form up and march around the area before entering the stadium. Sort of like pied pipers drawing fans to get inside before the kickoff. A small group of tough band members might be assigned to sweep the streets near dorms, frat houses, etc., to do the same. That could include some jazz or other specialty music and some fast marching!
    Naturally, we wouldn't want any band members to imbibe to the point of staggering, although our Coast Guard band director discovered that one beer per man or so before parades in California produced a swagger that led to our beating the Marine band in marching competition repeatedly! He, of course, didn't have the RPD or LTU PD checking IDs!!!

Yes, it is easy to give advice when you aren't the one having to organize or execute the plan! I am an expert at offering such advice that I couldn't follow myself!

I like the way you make your suggestions Aub!

I have to agree. The band should eat free at various tailgates. When I was in the band we were told by the University that some of the tailgaters would feed us on game day. Unfortunately, when game day came only one small tent kept their word and all of the others kicked us out of their tailgating sections! I really hope that has changed since I was there.

As for the President's concert on game day...I think that one may be up to the big guy haha. He may not be willing to give his pep rally up. :wink:

Puppy Techtubadiva is an unknown
    First and foremost I would like to utilize this opportunity to thank BB&B for the generous donations made to the band program in order for us to get our tuba covers this year. We hope that they will add to the flair of the band and draw more spirit from the crowds.

In response to Aubunique, the band reports to the stadium at 8 a.m. on game days we are the first to arrive and from judging from the parking lot after the game the band is the last to leave. And then before the game we have a minimal amount of time in which to eat. Now some have complained that we look high school-esque wandering around in only parts of our uniforms while tailgating. Well we are left with very few options for food so we must resort to our Oliver Twist tactics in order to feed ourselves.

And in response to the heat, when 4 of our band members are taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion and dehydration, others being hooked up to IV's at the stadium, people being soaked down in the restrooms, I think that we can use the heat as an excuse and as a very valid one at that.

So as a challenge, I propose that for those who debate the heat issue, I invite you to don our lovely marching garb, carry my 40 pound sousaphone, and do a couple of backbends up in the stands along with our other random dances, then we can discuss this heat issue a little more in depth now that you would have a slight bit of insight.

Sincerely,
    Meagan
    Techtubadiva

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Techtubadiva
    First and foremost I would like to utilize this opportunity to thank BB&B for the generous donations made to the band program in order for us to get our tuba covers this year. We hope that they will add to the flair of the band and draw more spirit from the crowds.

In response to Aubunique, the band reports to the stadium at 8 a.m. on game days we are the first to arrive and from judging from the parking lot after the game the band is the last to leave. And then before the game we have a minimal amount of time in which to eat. Now some have complained that we look high school-esque wandering around in only parts of our uniforms while tailgating. Well we are left with very few options for food so we must resort to our Oliver Twist tactics in order to feed ourselves.

And in response to the heat, when 4 of our band members are taken to the hospital for heat exhaustion and dehydration, others being hooked up to IV's at the stadium, people being soaked down in the restrooms, I think that we can use the heat as an excuse and as a very valid one at that.

So as a challenge, I propose that for those who debate the heat issue, I invite you to don our lovely marching garb, carry my 40 pound sousaphone, and do a couple of backbends up in the stands along with our other random dances, then we can discuss this heat issue a little more in depth now that you would have a slight bit of insight.

Sincerely,
    Meagan
    Techtubadiva

Seems like the band needs an off-season workout regime.

Puppy lilandra is an unknown
    Seems like the band needs an off-season workout regime.[/quote]

When do you want us to do that? During the summer when we are working and trying to go to summer school. I don't know know about you but I don't have any more time to give. It is hard enough trying to keep my grades up during fall with everything else going on it would be impossible during the summer.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    How can one expect to perform at their best if they don't prepare, mentally and physically?

My pre-season preparations begins in May and continues right up to kickoff. Skills one should perfect include grilling techniques, beer drinking, woman watching, table or piano dancing, yelling/hollering, barking, etc.

Mentally, I start in July watching The Bad News Bears, Hoosiers, Remember The Titans, and from now on will read The Junction Boys each year to get in the right frame of mind.

Being the best means being prepared. This not only applies to the football players but the band, cheerleaders and most importantly tailgaters.

You just can't show up in the I-Bowl parking lot and expect to do your best!

Puppy TechJD is an unknown
    Trust me, the band won't "just show up at the I-Bowl" and expect to do the best nor will they be unprepared physically and mentally. Currently members, wherever they might be, are working on music and getting in the mindset for bandcamp which will be an intense welcome back to school for the full band. While you are perfecting your "grilling techniques, beer drinking, woman watching, table or piano dancing, yelling/hollering, barking, etc" we will be in the heat teaching new members the marching fundamentals, music, and basics of Tech BOP and reviewing these fundamentals with returning members. As far as yelling/hollering are involved, I guarantee there will be plenty of that from the band as we vocalize the commands, do various cheers, etc. I should know. I myself went hoarse for several days last year from the shouting and cheering I did at the very first game in Independence Stadium. And I am ready to do it again.

Furthermore, despite the criticism and the insensitive or negative remarks that many of us have had to deal with for the several years we've been in band (9 years in my case), we are proud of the work we do, therefore it is fitting that we are the Band of PRIDE. We know that it comes with the territory of what we do that there will be people who don't understand and/or don't appreciate our efforts, but we have learned not to let that stop us. To those who have supported us and shown appreciation, we thank you sincerely. Special thanks to the donors from BB&B who have made the tuba covers possible. I am not a tuba player, but I know it will contribute that much more spirit and it shows the BOP that some people do support us and there those that are willing to make a difference rather than just complain. When I look up and see those tuba covers and the people beneath them that are overjoyed at having them (and trust me, our tuba player ARE excited about this), then I will have even more pride in wearing my Tech blue and continuing to play my heart out.

The band does not need an off-season work-out regimen, because as many can tell you, band is year-round. There is no off-season in band.

J.D.
    Ruston, LA

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light
    What a bunch of pansies!! It's too hot, it's too cold, it's too far, it's up hill both ways, it's dark when we leave, no one feeds us. I have never heard such whiners in all my life. I hate to say this but you (who have cried here) couldn't make the scout team for the lsux or any other southern SEC schooll band! Those guys and girls are HONORED to march well over a mile before all SEVEN home games in the heat, cold, rain or whatever for their school and team. I guess it's that much cooler in BR, Auburn, Florida, Tenn., etc. than Ruston?? (I promise, that was painful to say, but I have to give credit where credit is due.)

As for your challange to march with your uniform and instrument, I accept and will make it even better. If I can't march at least twice as far as you (and I have never been in a band), I will buy the entire band Gatorade before the Boise game. If I can march at least twice as far as you, you will come down here and go to work for me for ONE day wearing Fire Retardent Clothing, hard hat, safety glasses, gloves, ear plugs and a saftey harness. Deal?? I work in the heat almost everyday, so please don't lecture me about it. Y'all act like I suggested you march across Iraq or something!

As for time, please don't go there either. You just don't know. Trust me, I thought I had no time in college. Now I wish I had half of that time.

The sadest part about this whole thread is that the reason I suggested the march from campus to the stadium is I LIKED the band and wanted to get a little more excitement in the air before the game. I have always liked seeing a college band marching to a game. I thought it would be a neat tradition that would be started before the Univesity Park area was complete. I guess I will just have to crank up my Tech CD and drive around before the game. Wait, maybe we could just play that over the loud speakers during the game so y'all wouldn't even have to get in the heat. You could just make the CD's in the comfort of the band hall and at a time of your convinance

Brennan

PS: 9 years??? What the heck is your major??

Record in the band hall!? wow what a great idea...wait...wait...does the Tech band hall have those capabilities? NOPE guess not. They did back in 400 B.C. when the band building was built. Maybe they could go on over to West Ouachita HIGH SCHOOL and use their state of the art facilities. (hint hint)

"pansies" Are we really going to start name calling? I hope not. I make my students sit in the corner in the big boy chair when they do that. Surely we can rise above big boy chair status.

Now I just happen to know tubadiva and if I were you I wouldn't take that challenge. It would only be fair if you played during that challenge...we'll let it slide that it won't sound even remotely good. We'll be needing you to throw in some snap rips also.

I'm sorry if you think your career choice is a tough one. The grass is always greener man. Marching band is not a career choice for the members. If it were, then they wouldn't have any reason to complain. p.s. most kids are in band for 13 years or more if they stay in through college...now that's some time put in!

By the way...are those bands you listed bands of winning teams? Just curious.

That's all for now. I have to go try on my football pads. :wink:

Puppy TechJD is an unknown
    I did not say I have been in the Tech BOP nine years. I said I have been in band for 9 years. I have been a member of the Band of Pride for 2 years (this will be my 3rd). My major is Art-Photography with an intent to declare a music minor, by the way, since you seem curious. As far as calling us "pansies" I really don't believe resorting to childish name-calling is necessary. You seem offended by the fact that we are standing up for ourselves which is something I do not understand. Our band is a family and we take a lot of flack from people for what we do or do not do, so naturally as any member of a family does when confronted with an attack (which is what this has sadly become) we have defended our family. I am proud of all those who spoke up on behalf of the BOP, alumns and current members alike.

If you had plenty of time in college, I doubt you were involved in the music program. In my 2 years here, I have been involved in the BOP, wind ensemble, low brass ensemble, double reed ensemble, pit orchestra, chamber orchestra, as well as other ensembles outside of the music department - many of these activities concurrently. I have taken oboe, euhonium, and piano lessons for 5 quarters (all in the same quarter this previous spring, I might add). On top of that I was a member of the uniform staff and I am currently the uniform manager. Besides these positions I volunteer my services to the band in any other areas needed. Also I have been the secretary and am currently Vice President Membership of my music fraternity. On top of this I have kept a decent GPA (if you call 3.5 decent. I certainly realize it could be higher, but I am working on that). But perhaps I am just being lazy, as you are apparently insinuating. Then so be it.

We have not been whining. We are merely asking for the respect that is due to us yet denied of us for so long by so many. The march from the band building to the stadium, once again, is not possible, because the last time we see the band building until the game is over is approximately 7:45 a.m. We are at the stadium doing run-throughs at 8:00 in the morning. Some of you doubt this. I welcome you to show up to the practice field at 8 a.m. on gameday as proof, because we are not lying. Regarding the reocurring heat issue, we are not making excuses. We just simply will not risk our members health for the temporary satisfaction of one extra tailgater/"fan." Contrary to what you might think, the band members are people and we care about each other.

And yes, we are EXTREMELY honored to do what we. Some people don't have the dedication to stay in band through junior high, much less into their college years, so you can bet that we are proud and honored to be a part of the Lousiana Tech Band of Pride, otherwise we wouldn't do it. You can debate that all you want, be we know what is in our hearts. We love music and we love our band.

Also, your sarcasm is duly noted, Brennan. Make no mistake about it, not a darn thing I'm saying is sarcastic or fabricated.

J.D.
    PROUD member of the BOP
    Ruston, LA

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light
    I am sorry for the "pansies" comment. It was late and I was tired.

Other than that, you guys are unbelivable. I guess being in band at Tech is that much harder than the other schools I mentioned.

As for my career and free time in Tech, I finished in Civil Engineering, so no, I didn't have a lot of free time. That was my point. I also found time to build concrete canoes and steel bridges when I wasn't up all night working on lab reports.

Brennan

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    It's the "dog" days of summer. Everyone is tired of the heat and ready for some football! Thus, as always happens this time of year, we turn on our own.

I have zero musical talent and therefore admire those who have some. I have tried to express, in my layman way and from past experiences, what a marching band means on gameday. I hate to keep bringing this up, but it summarizes the spirit I am attempting to get across here. As a high school football player, sitting in the lockerroom about 20 mins before kickoff, the sound of our band arriving in the stadium, with that unique drum cadence, sounded like the arrival of an ally to us. Our fans would cheer, loudly, the band and that got us fired up too. We knew we had folks ready to support us.

So, I think everyone recognizes the important role the BOP plays, each and every gameday. That's what many of these posters are trying to say. You BOPers have no reason to get defensive. Robken is the number 1 cheerleader in the stadium! The band does a great job and no one questions your dedication and committment.

Go BOP!

and

Go Dawgs!

Puppy stephch2 has turned a few heads around herestephch2 has turned a few heads around here stephch2's Avatar
    The march from the band building to the stadium, once again, is not possible, because the last time we see the band building until the game is over is approximately 7:45 a.m. We are at the stadium doing run-throughs at 8:00 in the morning. Some of you doubt this. I welcome you to show up to the practice field at 8 a.m. on gameday as proof, because we are not lying.
    I guess maybe I started the discussion of the "business" of the band marching from the Band Hall to the stadium when I relived my experiences in the Tech Band back in the late 60's early 70's. I neglected to mention in that memory that we also practiced at the stadium on Saturday mornings. We marched too and from the practice field next to the stadium and sometimes we even practiced in the stadium.(Gasp!, that poor grass.) Since the games usually didn't start until 7:00 we had a little time to ourselves. We would then report back to the Band Hall and change into our uniforms there. We would march to the President's house and on to the stadium. We would then march back to the stadium after the game.

After having my daughter and son in the BOP I know that the majority of the band does have some time free. That is if your rehearsal was early and the game at 7. On the days when games are in the afternoon, you really don't have any free time. My husband and I would get to Ruston in the A.M. Meet our daughter or son at the band hall, take them to eat and have them back at the stadium in time for the pre game inspection, concert and stadium entrance. If a band student is a member of the leadership staff they have other duties during the day such as polishing the bigger instruments, tightening drum heads, and various other band related tasks, and truly may not have any free time. I know each member of the BOP works very hard. It really isn't easy to march and play your horn musically at the same time. Add to that having to be in a specific place on the field at a specific point in the music. Talk about "multitasking". I love the BOP and have from the time I was in the band. I enjoy reliving those moments through my children. This will be the eighth year straight of having a family member in the band. I have nothing but respect and admiration for every band member. I am excited that band is going to have 183 members this year and I am looking forward to an exciting year. To all current BOP members that may read this, I wish you the best and I will continue to support and sing your praises for all the hard work you do.

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future
    Maybe our band can watch the movie Drummline. I would love to hear one song that i know. I know we are not GSU or SU, but please, can i get one song that i can bob my head too??

+ Reply to Thread