+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beware new computer virus that is spreading quickly

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    My parents PC started this today and they are rarely connected to the net.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Thanks Thor, but I gotta tell ya that I'm a little afraid to click on the link. :?

Lol ok here is the text :roll:

Web Worm Attacks Windows, Spreads Fast-Experts

Reuters
    Monday, August 11, 2003; 7:23 PM

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - An Internet worm that takes advantage of a recently discovered, widespread security hole in Microsoft Corp.'s Windows software emerged around the United States on Monday, crashing systems and spreading to vulnerable computers, security experts said.

The worm, dubbed LoveSan, Blaster, or MSBlaster, exploits a vulnerability in the Distributed Component Object service that is hosted by a Remote Procedure Call feature in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Once it gets onto a vulnerable computer, the program downloads code from a previously infected machine that enables it to propagate itself. Then, it scans the Internet for other vulnerable machines and attacks them, said Johannes Ullrich, chief technology officer at the Internet Storm Center at the SANS Institute.

In some cases, the worm crashes the victim machine, but does not infect it, he said.

It is spreading rapidly and has infected several thousand machines, Ullrich said.

The worm also appears to instruct the computer to launch a distributed denial of service (DDOS) attack on August 16 against a Microsoft Web site, he added. In a DDOS attack, a Web site is temporarily paralyzed after receiving requests from numerous multiple computers.

"It's dangerous from the perspective that it can consume a lot of bandwidth," said Russ Cooper of TruSecure Corp. "Every compromised machine is constantly attacking."

The worm contains code that includes a phrase: "Billy Gates why do you make this possible? Stop making money and fix your software," according to SANS.

Anti-virus provider Network Associates rated it a medium risk for consumers and corporate computer users, while rival Symantec Corp. rated it a high risk for distribution and a low risk for damage.

Security professionals have been expecting such a worm since last month.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor44
    My parents PC started this today and they are rarely connected to the net.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer
    Thor,
    My computer at home has the worm. It shuts my computer down after I have been on for 5 minutes. Any ideas on how to get rid of it.

Try to download the patch from microsoft ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...n/MS03-026.asp )if you can't get that to work try this.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Important Note: W32.Blaster.Worm exploits the DCOM RPC vulnerability. This is described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026, and a patch is available from that location. You must download and install the patch. In many cases, you will have to do this before you can continue with the removal instructions. If you are not able to remove the infection or prevent reinfection using the instructions that follow, first download and install the patch.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
    Update the virus definitions.
    Do one of the following:
    Windows 95/98/Me: Restart the computer in Safe mode.
    Windows NT/2000/XP: End the Trojan process.
    Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as W32.Blaster.Worm.
    Reverse the changes that the Trojan made to the registry.

For details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. Disabling System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
    If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:
    "How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
    "How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.
    2. Updating the virus definitions
    Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:

Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
    Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.

3. Restarting the computer in Safe mode or ending the Worm process
    Windows 95/98/Me
    Restart the computer in Safe mode. All the Windows 32-bit operating systems, except for Windows NT, can be restarted in Safe mode. For instructions on how to do this, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."

Windows NT/2000/XP
    To end the Trojan process:
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once.
    Click Task Manager.
    Click the Processes tab.
    Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
    Scroll through the list and look for msblast.exe.
    If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
    Exit the Task Manager.

4. Scanning for and deleting the infected files
    Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
    For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
    For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files."
    Run a full system scan.
    If any files are detected as infected with W32.Blaster.Worm, click Delete.

5. Reversing the changes made to the registry

CAUTION: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
    Type regedit

Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the value:

"windows auto update"="msblast.exe"

Exit the Registry Editor.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...alinstructions

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    DonW, old computers make great trotline weights and nothing is better bait than a worm!

Varsity Bulldog american is an unknown
    Thor,

Thanks a million. After trying to fix my PC for a few hours I discovered your thread. I followed your instructions and clobbered that virus.

Quote Originally Posted by american
    Thor,

Thanks a million. After trying to fix my PC for a few hours I discovered your thread. I followed your instructions and clobbered that virus.
    Anytime, glad it helped

+ Reply to Thread