+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standing only section for Bulldog Football

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future
    At the ull game I was talking to Ronnie Walker about the horrible incident where stadium security made Reddawg sit down at the Miami game because some one behind him didn't want to stand also. Ronnie was flabbergasted and related other problems we had with S'port's running of the stadium.

Then he said that his son had come to him with an idea: Have a standing only section. Put them in front of the band on the fifty yardline on the student side with reserved tickets for our rabid fans. It would be a rowdy section, visible on TV, and free from the problems you have with the older folk. He said it was being considered but they didn't decide to do it this year.

What do y'all think? Myself, I turned 50 yesterday and may be too old, but it sounds like it could be a fun section. Putting it on the fifty would reward rabid fans, and really be good seats. Ronnie's other idea was to fill a lower section from the top row so that there was no one behind you.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game
    Good idea. I almost never sit, therefore my crew can usuallty be found at the top of the stadium.

Do you want to know where I think the standing section should be? The entire East side.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDAG
    ...Have a standing only section. Put them in front of the band on the fifty yardline on the student side with reserved tickets for our rabid fans. It would be a rowdy section...What do y'all think?
    I've made the same suggestion annually to Jim, Ronny,... whoever will listen. However, there is a paradym at Tech that only students (25 years old and younger) want to stand and cheer. I'm 40 and prefer to cheer with rowdy fans who get off their butts. This is the main reason I buy season tickets on the east side, not the west.

Personally, I'd like to see everything between the 30 yard lines on the lower east side (Aillet & Independence) be "STANDING ONLY, sit if you wish, but don't expect others to do so".

Varsity Bulldog Rossp917 is an unknown
    Honestly, if you were to put the rowdy fans together, they would feed off of one another, IMHO. THEN, the sitting fans on the other side would feed off of the rowdy ones. I think that concentrating the rowdy fans would create a nucleus for excitement, and could possibly improve the situation as it stands.

Varsity Bulldog DawginBR is an unknown
    Also, having the band a little higher in the stadium would create more "noise and spirit" louder for more folks in the rowdy section. As they sit now at the bottom of the stadium, most of their sound is not heard by many folks on the east side rowdy group. I sat sorta beside and a little behind the BOP at the Miami game and could barely hear them. At Houston last year one could barely detect that our Pep band was there because they were so far down (on the front row of the stadium) that you could not hear them. Think about it...the band higher in the stadium with the rowdy group and students IN FRONT OF THEM would only help take the "spirit" to a new level. Sorry, Band of Pride, but we need you to fuel the spirit for everyone....The rowdier and louder the better IMHO.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    This is EXACTLY what we had before the band stole our seats!!

MOVE THE BAND!!!

Puppy faithdawg has turned a few heads around herefaithdawg has turned a few heads around herefaithdawg has turned a few heads around herefaithdawg has turned a few heads around here
    I am 42 years old. I attend every home game. I stand only on big plays or when someone in front of me stands. Why do people need to stand so much when they have a seat. I yell, scream and holler sitting in my seat. If a standing room only section is needed, it should be at the 20-30 yardline to the endzone. I am not a party pooper and hope that this is not an issue. GO DAWGS!

Varsity Bulldog yobrefstank has turned a few heads around hereyobrefstank has turned a few heads around here yobrefstank's Avatar
    You rowdy standers should come sit with us on the east side 50 yrd. line at the top. Just leave the profanity or my wife (or I) will run you off! Coach Patterson and Coach White (baseball) are usually up there some where so there is usually lively conversation. Excellent view of the entire field. And nobody cares if you stand!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    ON Fresno fans: "
    Their fans are the worst," said Tech junior linebacker John Nash, who visited Bulldogs Stadium in 2001, a 38-28 Tech loss. "They spit on you, throw bottles at you, call you everything in the book except the child of God. When you walk into the stadium they are a foot above your head yelling and screaming at you. They're all drunk. It's hard to concentrate walking down there.

"I'd love to have fans like that."

Sitting quietly in your chair and giving the expected golf clap is a Tech tradition we need to can.

Puppy dawgs4life is an unknown
    The band is the largest cheering section at football games. Their spot in the stands is important.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faithdawg
    I am 42 years old. I attend every home game. I stand only on big plays or when someone in front of me stands. Why do people need to stand so much when they have a seat. I yell, scream and holler sitting in my seat. If a standing room only section is needed, it should be at the 20-30 yardline to the endzone. I am not a party pooper and hope that this is not an issue. GO DAWGS!
    I am 45 years old and prefer to stand the whole game.

Besides, it's less tiring than jumping up and down for the whole game. I tried to sit some during the Miami game, because there were some 42-year-old (with emphasis on OLD) fuddy duddies sitting behind me. I finally got tired of it and just stood a good portion of the time.

I pay my money and want to stand. I don't care if you remain seated. I don't tell someone to "stand up" so don't tell me to "sit down." I won't anyway.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    [quote:c513ef3a56="faithdawg"]I am 42 years old. I attend every home game. I stand only on big plays or when someone in front of me stands. Why do people need to stand so much when they have a seat. I yell, scream and holler sitting in my seat. If a standing room only section is needed, it should be at the 20-30 yardline to the endzone. I am not a party pooper and hope that this is not an issue. GO DAWGS!
    I don't tell someone to "stand up" so don't tell me to "sit down." I won't anyway.[/quote:c513ef3a56]

Couldn't have said it better myself!! Awesome!

Too many people have this fear of looking "stupid" if they make any noise above a clap. Theyre afraid that everyone may look at them or something. I will say this though: The crowd support, as far as numbers of fans actually cheering (and I define that by yelling something out of your mouth, not the Golf Clap), overall loudness (esp. 3rd downs), organised cheers (move the chains, etc), and general game day atmosphere is markedly better than when I played just a few years ago. So I think it is all heading in the right direction, but we still have a little ways to go.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossp917
    Honestly, if you were to put the rowdy fans together, they would feed off of one another, IMHO. THEN, the sitting fans on the other side would feed off of the rowdy ones. I think that concentrating the rowdy fans would create a nucleus for excitement, and could possibly improve the situation as it stands.
    Great point Ross! This is the way to establish tradition. I like the idea of putting a section in front of the band so that they mix with the band.......the students and rowdy east siders feed off them, and before you know it the west siders are joining in.

Now, how many seats should be made available in front of the band and how do you establish who gets them? Is it too much to suggest reserved seating at west side prices? Nobody gets to sit over there without without wearing [glow=blue:8faab3a755]BLUE[/glow:8faab3a755]. Tell them that when they buy the tickets. Any fan sitting in this area would be a Dawgmaniac (or something catchy).

Start out with a few hundred below the band and expand out and up as requested. Sorry greeks. It would be nice to have the whole east side as fired up as the "NORTH FORTY".

Guys this is the kind of stuff that makes going to a football game fun for all. Say what you will about lsu, but a large portion of the fans down there don't even know what is happening on the field or care. They go for the experience. Not that we need the lsu type experience, but a small portion of the A & M, Arkansas, or Auburn type atmosphere would be something to build on.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    .........one more thing. Here is a way to get Jim and Ronny to agree to it. Start out asking for the band to move up providing enough reserved seats for whatever (100?200?). No ticket exchanges. No child discounts. Full Price! You keep what you have already purchased. Next year the seats are priced accordingly. We have enough folks here at BBB to sell those tickets easily. I know I would consider it an honor and privilege to be able to sit there. My suggestion would be for somebody like Cartek or Mick to approach Jim and Ronny with this idea. Saying no would be saying no to more money and more enthusiasm.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    They could implement the "standing only" section for October 4th if they wanted - charge west side prices next year! That sounds like a great idea - afraid I might not qualify as Dawgmaniac enough to stand the whole game w/ an uncooperative knee, but I love the idea! I'd love for the fun and excitement to spread over to the other side!

+ Reply to Thread