+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fall BasebaLL

Puppy cajun flatfoot is an unknown
    Has anyone watched any of the fall baseball practices? I was wonder how some of the new players looked? :?:

Puppy cajun flatfoot is an unknown
    St. Amant's Brignac commits to LSU baseball

By CARL DUBOIS
    cdubois@theadvocate.com
    Advocate sportswriter

St. Amant High School center fielder Reid Brignac, a member of the last two Louisiana state champion American Legion Baseball teams, said Thursday he's committed to play at LSU beginning in 2005.
    Brignac, who also considered what he called a good scholarship offer from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, said the lure of playing for the Tigers and a chance to go to the College World Series were too much to bypass.

"I always wanted to play in Omaha," he said. "They've been there. They've got a history there."

Brignac said he committed Wednesday to LSU assistant coach Turtle Thomas. An oral commitment isn't binding. Brignac plans to sign with the Tigers in November, the early signing period.

Brignac said he knows LSU catcher Dustin Weaver and played in high school against Tigers catcher Matt Liuzza and infielder Will Harris. He met pitcher Lane Mestepey and other players at LSU's Christmas camp, but his interest in the Tigers dates well before that.

"I always wanted to play for LSU since I was little," he said. "It's close to home, and they're a very good ballclub. They always play hard, and they always play well. I like the way they play."

Brignac, a first-team all-district selection, hit .318 with a .591 slugging percentage, three home runs and 15 RBIs in a District 4-5A schedule that included state champion East Ascension, the No. 13-ranked team in the USA Today Super 25 national poll. Overall he hit .330 with five homers and 38 RBIs.

He and St. Amant teammates joined EA players on a Gonzales-based team -- called Athletic Center in 2002, Gauthier &Amedee in 2003 -- that reached the American Legion Mid-South Regional in Blue Springs, Mo., two straight years.

Brignac, a senior wide receiver on St. Amant's football team, ranks second in the area in Class 5A in receiving yards with 282 on 20 receptions, an average of 14.1 yards per catch. He's scored three touchdowns.

He said UL-Lafayette, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern Louisiana, UL-Monroe and Tulane recruited him.

"I visited at ULL and liked the facilities," he said. "They made me a great offer, but I always wanted to play for LSU."

Printer Friendly Version Send this story to a friend

+ Reply to Thread