+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt Lake Tribune - Another CUSA / WAC / Sun Belt scenario

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Conference dominos could affect Utah State, Ready, set, shuffle
    By Kurt Kragthorpe
    The Salt Lake Tribune

Figuratively, the loss of three schools to Conference USA would be a punch to the midsection for the Western Athletic Conference.

Geographically, that's where the WAC could find three replacements -- right in the middle.

Southern Methodist, Rice and Tulsa are reportedly in line for Conference USA invitations, which would reduce the WAC to seven schools. That's a response to the Big East's planned raid of Conference USA, which would keep the WAC from expanding eastward.

So the proposed moves could open the way for a mutual realignment of the WAC and the Sun Belt Conference, whose borders greatly overlap. "The Sun Belt really could be in the driver's seat, in terms of these kinds of changes," said Utah State athletic director Rance Pugmire.

In the interest of a better geographic fit, USU needed Conference USA to win the war with the WAC. With its eastern reach reduced, the WAC would have to look back to the West. And USU, Idaho and New Mexico State would be logical replacements, especially if the WAC and Sun Belt cooperate.

Sun Belt commissioner Wright Waters has described his current football league as a workable alternative, but hardly preferable to geography-based conferences. So his league presidents likely would be glad to trade schools to the WAC, and the WAC seemingly would be desperate enough to do that. Assuming the WAC loses no schools to the Mountain West Conference, here's how a realignment could look:

WAC: Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii, Nevada, Texas-El Paso, San Jose State, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State.

Sun Belt: Louisiana Tech, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee, North Texas, Troy State.

UTEP could go to the Sun Belt or New Mexico State could stay there to balance the numbers, but it would make sense to bring the rivals together.

Pugmire's pledge is to maintain alliances with Idaho and NMSU, rather than hope to join the WAC independently. USU has launched a $16 million facilities improvement drive, trying to strengthen the football program and keep up with schools at its level, amid the realignment possibilities.

USU started playing Sun Belt football this season and is scheduled to move from the Big West to the Sun Belt in all sports in 2005.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar
    Someone in Utah is quite delusional. The Sunbelt would trade 3 teams for 1? Geographically speaking it's a good deal, but I seriously doubt that would happen. I certainly believe Tech would go Independent before they'd let the WAC trade them to the Sun Belt. Nice try Sun Belt. Correct me if I'm worng.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    You never know what kind of deals will be made... :deal:

We are fighting for our life here

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar
    The author of this fine article simply does not understand the antipathy between Tech and ULLLMMM. La Tech will NEVER again be in a conference with ULM. I seriously doubt if we would ever join a conference with ULLLLLL.... The independent route would be a better alternative.

Here's the author's e-mail address. I've sent him a note explaining the facts of life, won't you??

kkragthorpe@sltrib.com

My dog is sleeping. I think I will leave her there for a few minutes first.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    So we go independent. A huge mistake, but say we do it. We get our asses kicked 2-3 times a year by the big boys at their houses just to pay the bills. Now we have to schedule 8-9 regional games to save money with 5 of those being at home. Lets see, who can we get to come to Ruston? I don't think SMU, Rice and Tulsa wanted to even when they had to. I don't think USM, Tulane and Houston are interested. Maybe we could work 2 fors with a couple of them. They may be interested in Shreveport. ULM, Ulala and Ark St would give us 1-2 home games a year. To borrow someone else's termiology, a perpetual scheduling "cluster fornication."

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute
    Maybe we should go Independent, schedule 11 "money games", build some new facilities and wait for the next realignment somewhere down the line.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar
    So Utah state is committing 16 MILLION to upgrade and new facilities to keep up.

I don't like this scenario but I don't want to be in the WAC with those schools or the Sun belt, but our attendance, season ticket sales, budgets and facilities are much more in line with thsoe schools than those of C-USA.

+ Reply to Thread