+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big East staying at 8 schools?

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Cartek,

I never stated that the MWC was the BE. I simply used the MWC to illustrate that a conference can operate with 8 members. Granted, for scheduling purposes a 9 member conference is ideal, but by no means is that number required.

Big Dog DeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud ofDeepGreen has much to be proud of DeepGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    [quote:48b0535e31="DeepGreen"]Don't take this as a flame, but if La Tech were to get an invite by CUSA, could you afford the $1 million dollar entrance fee, plus the WAC exit fees?

I've wondered, if North Texas were to "luck" into a CUSA invite (won't happen), would we be able to afford the entrance fee? Personally, I don't think UNT could afford it at this stage of our 1A football resurrection.

What are ya'll's thoughts?
    The answer is "Yes". Whatever the entrace fee, LA Tech will save at least that much in decreased travel expenses each year in the new CUSA. Plus, as I've seen you and many others state so many times before, the revenues associated with CUSA membership are many times greater than the revenues associated with WAC membership.

There's no way the WAC can force Tech to pay an "exit" fee if Tech gets invited to CUSA because the EWAC has imploded. Also, if Tech leaves the WAC, the WAC would have a golden opportunity to become a "western only" conference again, and would likely invite Idaho as a 9th member instead of adding new teams in the east. (Adding Idaho will give the WAC a balanced home and road football schedule!)

Secondly, it's not Tech's fault that the EWAC imploded and Rice, SMU, and Tulsa chose to leave.

The WAC better hope that Louisiana Tech doesn't ask for some of its WAC "ENTRANCE" fee money back! Afterall, Tech paid 600K to join a conference that included Rice, Tulsa and SMU. Without those three EWAC schools, the WAC may owe Tech money because the WAC isn't delivering on their contractual obligation.

My guess is, there will be a gentlemen's agreement between Tech officials and the WAC that says, "if Tech goes to CUSA, then the WAC doesn't owe Tech anything and Tech won't owe the WAC anything."

HD[/quote:48b0535e31]

HogDawg, thanks for the reply. It makes economic sense to me to pay whatever the entrance fee is. In my former life(bashing the WAC and giving you hell!), I hammered you and LT on the traveling expenses that were incurred going West. I knew they were real and very expensive.

LT really belongs in CUSA from a regional standpoint. I have to admit I'm a little jealous that it's not North Texas going to CUSA, but we are just not there yet. Gaining on it, but not there.

If you guys make it to CUSA, good luck and give 'em hell! I mean that.

DeepGreen

+ Reply to Thread